Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High performance alternative waste oil blend diesel fuel

High performance alternative waste oil blend diesel fuel
    Blending gasoline at 35% with waste oil at 65% to make a high performance waste oil blend alternative diesel fuel is like putting a gasoline turbocharger into your fuel tank.
    Video: High performance alternative waste oil blend diesel fuel - YouTube

Re: High performance alternative waste oil blend diesel fuel

JSB,
    Can you please advise us what sort of "waste oil" you are blending with?
    With that information we may decide if we want to go to utube to look at it.

Waste engine oil would not be on my watch list.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

It was WVO with a small amount of sludge from previous blends which happened to have been with WMO, so the blend came out black. Most of my work has been with WVO, but, because more people every day are turning to burning WMO, because they are finding it hard to find WVO, then I have started doing work with WMO as well. However, I have switched from defining what waste oil I am working with, because, when it comes to blending, WMO and WVO work the same.

Comment

Any possible negatives to the lubrication of your injector pump when in using a 35% blend?

Comment

Originally posted by artrix View Post
          Any possible negatives to the lubrication of your injector pump when in using a 35% blend?
          While petrol lacks lubricity, adding waste oil to a blend more than makes up for the loss of lubricity. I would expect that one can easily have 50% petrol to 50% waste oil in a blend without a lubricity issue. And, I am willing to consider that one could have considerably more petrol in the fuel tank with oil added to the fuel blend, to the point that if there were 1 liter of motor oil added to a misfueled tank to every 4 liters of petrol that the engine would most probably run just fine on that blend, but perhaps there would only be a loss of power.

Comment

Jeffrey,

I have the 6.5L engine with the DS4 pump in my suburban - when running on WVO i have a looped return.

I can tell you by empirical evidence that running any more than 15% ULP will result in Vapour lock on my engine and will put the ECM into limp home mode with a variety of codes

Recently when doing a trip to the snowfields i added a premixed batch of fuel to the tank on my suburban to bring the ratio of ULP and WVO to 15% i.e. a 160 litre tank - i had 140 litres of WVO and 20 litres of ULP - this was mixed outside of the tank

When running on the flat etc this was not a problem - although i did not notice any performance increase - but that was not why i did it.

However when i hit the Alpine region - we encountered long slow climbing roads that drove the Water Temp and IAT on my suburban right up - Water temp was comfortable sitting around 95 degrees with the thermo fans kicking in as required.

When running like this for a few minutes i would start to throw engine codes (all IP fuel related) and the car would start to hesitate and miss - if left for long enough the engine would go into limp mode)

The simple resolution (if i did it prior to limp mode) was to switch back across to BIO on my startup tank for a few minutes (this is a non looped return) - i could then safely switch back to WVO once the engine temps dropped back down to the 85c mark.

To further confirm this theory i did a run recently up the Bulli Pass in Wollongong ( a long steep incline of about 5 KM in total) - i was at this point towing a two tonne trailer. I do not believe i could stress the fuel delivery system anymore than with this combination.

On this trip i was running straight WVO - no ULP (our winter is over and i only thin out the fuel for snow trips) - the car pegged at 100c on Water temps and about 90c on IATs on the way up - cruising at about 50KM/h all the way - there was not one hesitation or code thrown in the whole climb. At this point i have fitted a new digital fuel temp guage that sits about 3 inches prior to the IP and after my heat exchangers - this was showing fuel temps at 90c

I was using the same Walbro FRB-5 and the same filters (not changed since the last snow trip) and 95% of my oil comes from the same restaurant.

My conclusion - my car with a medium level ULP blend is not happy on a looped return - (YMMV and apparently does)

Food for thought for others that may wish to try this

Craig
            Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
            210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
            Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

Originally posted by craigcurtin View Post
              Jeffrey,

I have the 6.5L engine with the DS4 pump in my suburban - when running on WVO i have a looped return.

I can tell you by empirical evidence that running any more than 15% ULP will result in Vapour lock on my engine and will put the ECM into limp home mode with a variety of codes ...Craig
              That is interesting, because I live above 5,000 feet (1500 Meters), and I am now running my engine on 45% ULP, with no problems, but more power. So, the difference in our systems is the looped return, and your 30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear.

I installed a looped return years ago and found low power and erratic running, so I removed the looped return. Since I never need to heat my fuel with blends, then if one wanted to run blends, then I would suggest no heat, and no looped return.

Comment

Working...
              X