IP lift pressure gauge buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP lift pressure gauge buzz

I've been running a gauge for monitoring the internal lift pressure for some time now.
    It's been a valuable tool for early warning signs and diagnosing various issues.

The gauge gives an audible "buzz sound" at times so I'm wondering if anyone else has such an item
    and if they're getting similar sounds. Looking carefully, the needle isnt totally steady when the
    buzzing occurs. Lately I've been taking more notice and I see the symptoms at the lightest of throttle and disappearing when the throttle is opened.
    I reason that there could be tiny pulses in the lift pressure, possibly the harmonics of the high pressure end of the IP reverberating.

One thought is that the gauge is a cheap item and sound is from the small workings inside.
    I think these have like a miniature rack&pinion setup which could easily account for the chatter.
    I understand an oil filled guage is often used in industrial situations to overcome frequency pulsing so
    that could be a fix?

Google some time ago turned up someone puzzling over the same phenomena.

Re: IP lift pressure gauge buzz

You most likely have fuel in the gauge line, all the way to the gauge.
    Disconnect both ends of the gauge line and blow the fuel out from the gauge end. Reconnect the gauge end making sure you get a good seal. Then reconnect the fuel line end. The gauge should now be quiet and no swinging the needle at idle.
    The chattering is causing rapid wearing the gears in the gauge so should be dealt with promptly.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

most likely have fuel in the gauge line
      That could very easily be the case. Having air in there would allow some cushioning I suppose??
      The gauge was from an old air compressor. Would be a basic quality item at best.

Comment

Ok, to follow up, I forced air into the line, re-assembled and it's quiet now. Thanks. It worked well.

Comment

I had that issue in one of our 300Ds, it eventually destroyed the gauge for lack of action. Why my son did not come and tell me about it? I don't know.

That is how I know about the chattering fuel pressure gauge.

Regards,
          Tony
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Interesting co-incidence... I'd mentioned to a friend about the gauge buzz and said that
            a gauge of the "oil-filled" type might be required to fix it.
            After sorting the line to the gauge and posting here of the success, an oil-filled gauge turned up
            in my letterbox the very next morning! He'd dropped it in on the way to work that morning.

Comment

Or spend up and get an electric gauge where the sender is only connected to the gauge with electrical wire and nothing can come up the line into the gauge, or worse, spray fuel inside your cabin.

Tim
              Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
              12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
              Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
              Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
              Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

or worse, spray fuel inside your cabin.
                A whisper I heard was it was illeagal here to have gauges with "live pressure fuel line" running into the interior of a vehicle. Diesel/vege could make a mess... but petrol could get ugly real quick.

Comment

Working...
                X