mullumbimby madness (looking for oil)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mullumbimby madness (looking for oil)

Hi guys im running WVO and finding it a challenge to get past the WVO maffia ie suppliers owning the waste and collecting it.
    any ideas please :-). ( i also have a friend who travels the coast who can collect stuff for me if necessary.

Re: mullumbimby madness (looking for oil)

Go into competition with them. Buy oil in bulk and sell to restaurants on the condition that you get to keep the used oil. Supply your own used oil receptacles as well.
    There must be a reasonable margin and you have a use for the oil which saves you up to $1.50 a litre.

Bon chance
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Benny

aren't you in Sydney ? there should be hundreds of choices. talk to your local fisho and see what they do with their oil.
      some shopping centres have issues with people collecting who but if you have an abn and a high viz vest you might get away with collecting. do a better job than the competition and you shouldn't have too many problems getting the oil.

Michael
      97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
      2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
      2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
      2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
      2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
      Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

I feel for you Benny2026,even where I am the oil collecting companies have a pretty good hold of the oil supply,all I can suggest is when a new shop or change of management has happened jump in with a professional looking bussiness card and the right price.
        Pray they call you.
        cheers
        Pete
        96 Dual Cab Rodeo B100% since Jan 2011

Comment

Tony is right on the money with the supply of oil. The oil companies make their money out of sale of the fresh oil and dont pay for the removal of the old oil. The difference you can offer is that you can sell them fresh oil with little or no markup, and still collect for free. If you search around and have an ABN, you will be able to bulk buy your oil (pallet at a time) for far less than the shops are paying for the whole purchase / waste removal deal they currently get.

The shop keeper will tell you that the oil removal company said stuff like "oh you need to approved by the EPA to remove waste oil" or some other hogs wash as a scare tactic. from the best I could tell, you only need a licence to carry large qty's of waste oil. So most of us just ignore that rule. There was a lengthy thread some time ago I remember that discussed the ins and outs of waste oil removal. Not sure what the end result was, i think it came down to interpretation and your state of residence.

From where i pick up there are nasty comments plastered all over the drums that I cant repeat here, I get a giggle out of it everytime.

As suggested, I have spot lights on the back of my rig which illuminate the area and my trailer, and I also wear a highvis yellow coat. No body even asks what I am doing. Not that I am doing anything wrong at all, its just the less questions the better I say.

keep looking into it and you will have a win.

Comment

Its a bit far but I know of two fish and chip places near me good for the take, I would strike up some sort of deal, to keep things very happy. Pity its a long drive to the north.
            Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

I looked into this some time back and you need a licence to carry more that 200ltrs.
              not too many chippies change out that much in a week. I collect about 100ltrs a fortnight, and never have a problem
              I manufactured a tank exactly the same as the one that Cookers use, goes inside the shop, on wheels. I just roll it outside, pump it into a 44 and take the tank back inside, no mess, no fuss and all over in 10mins

Rob.

Comment

great news,
                whatr pump do you use and where where you collecting?

Comment

Hi Benny,
                  The pump I use is not spectacular, just a 12 volt gear pump, readily available on ebay. I bought mine for about $60 but they seem to have gone up a bit since then......only 12mm lines.
                  As to where do I pick up: - On the south side of Bris. around Loganholm area.
                  Rob.

Comment

Working...
                  X