Supercheap rotary oil pumps @ $45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercheap rotary oil pumps @ $45

Do you need to prime them? Are they any good for collecting wvo?
    G

Re: Supercheap rotary oil pumps @ $45

They look really cheap and nasty i had a look at them the handle seem to be very sloppy as to how they pump i dont know but it might be worth your while looking at a macnaught much better quality i know there expensive but you get what you pay for most of the time
    i'm also looking at buying one so thats why i had a look at the supercheap auto one after looking at it i knew why it was forty-five bucks??
    sigpic

Comment

I'll track down a Macnaught. Any idea on cost or supplier?

Comment

Here's a link you could try there are no prices but you could call for a price Total Tools Industrial :: Home Page try pages 190 and 191 of their online catalogue
        thanks captain
        sigpic

Comment

I tried 1 from supercheap about 5 years ago.It needed priming to initially pump and then if you stopped pumping for more than 4 secs it would need priming again.Luckily it was only a borrowed 1.
          I bought a McNaught.It pumps Methanol, wvo ,BD no worries at all, even fairly thick oils .{just needs a little more shoulder effort.}It has pumped 1000,s of litres of whatever ,and is easily pulled apart {for removing rags that have been thrown into wvo drums.
          Cost about $150 from Truckline about 41/2 YO.
          I would not buy a cheepo.

Comment

Hi all,
            I bought one these Super Cheap rotary drum pumps on special some time ago ($39.99). I tested its delivery capacity with water and it pumped 20lt in 40 seconds, needs a resasonable effort but not over the top.
            Now the things I found, first when I got it home the Inlet and Outlet pipe hook were reversed and it only wanted to pump by turning anitclockwise so changed ends an then it pumped with a clockwise motion OK. I tightened up the grub screw for the handle and it was OK. It primes just by pumping.

I also found that by having outlet polly tube too far into the 20lt plastic drum (carboy) it put back pressure in the winding handle seal which dripps oil (small amount) by keeping and fixing the outlet to the top of the drum no leaks. I have used it half a dozen times so far.

As the old saying goes "You get what you pay for" or what you can afford.

Regards
            John H
            Last edited by John H; 11 October 2006, 05:11 PM. Reason: added about grub screw

Comment

i have a supercheap pump that was working up till i decided all that hand cranking is a bit much. As with most new ventures you start off with as little investment as possible then upgrade as you acquire knowledge or blisters. if you dont have the shop putting oil back into the 20l oil drum, then the sucker for veg oil collection supercedes everything so the least you have invested till then the best.

The dearer the rotary hand pump you start with, the dearer wall decoration you will have leaning in the garage after you upgrade if you stay with this hobby.

cheers

Comment

I have had one for sometime I initially brought it to pump bio but it would not do it. I tried it out for the first time last weekend on wvo and sucked it up and pumped fine.
                HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                Canberra

Comment

Working...
                X