Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi There!

Hello All

Just spent many hours online looking at veggy powering your diesel and decided to join. I'd like to thank you for providing this site, your research and creativity is impressive indeed!

I've just purchased a 2002 4X4 Ford Courier Ute with 150000 on the clock, I've also access to a regular supply of waste cottonseed oil. I would like to make bio diesel one day but that's a few years in the future so I was thinking of blending the oil with ULP (15/85) and then with diesel, say 40% veg/ULP blend to 60% diesel. After reading some of the posts, for example this one http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use...need_know.html I want to proceed very carefully as I cannot afford to wreck my ute and am more than happy to save just $20 to $30 a week in fuel costs rather than run my ute on %100 WVO or biodiesel.

I've begun testing the oil and it seems quite dry, did the hot pan test and could not see any bubbles, so far I've filtered some small amounts through coffee filters and there doesn't seem to be much fat in it either. I know the cafe owner and he changes his fryer oil regularly. He currently has 350 to 400 litres of the stuff out back that he wants disposing of! He also said that the oil is dry as some bloke used to come round and collect it to run his diesel and he told him that it was good dry waste oil. All the same he hasn't collected for some time, hence the 25 20L tin drums sitting out back!

So what I'm asking here is if the set up I described above would work. I live in the Southern Highlands of NSW, halfway between Canberra and Sydney. It gets a little cold here and was wondering if the blend would do more than a little start up damage on a cold winters night.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you and I wish you all a happy New Year!

Thanks

SabaiSabai

Re: Hi There!

Hi and welcome. You will be well safe with the blend ratio you are proposing. Great, your oil has no fats. That's a saving in time and processing. Fats come from the foods that are cooked in the oil, so it reflects what food your cafe does. Cold starts should be fine too as it's a conservative blend. Mostly, keep reading the forum. Realize also that opinions and experiences vary. It's good that you have a supply sorted. Best get it while the going is good as you never know when the tide will turn. Keep the cafe owner happy. If you're picking the oil up free, that's great then perhaps give a bottle of wine in appreciation as a suggestion. There's competition about for oils so you never know when someone will offer more for it.

Comment

G'day Mr Tbird!

Thanks for the advice, glad to know it should work OK unfortunately it's a little fattier than first thought but not insurmountable. I've been doing some more reading on this site and found this...

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use...ace_start.html

"1. Blending. You thin the oil using another fuel. This could be BioDiesel, Diesel, ULP – unleaded petrol, kerosene to name some common options. Blending vegetable oil with a light solvent, such as petrol, is a common way of burn vegetable oil in a diesel engine. It is fairly easy to do, compared to making biodiesel, and it runs on any diesel engine without conversion, like biodiesel. The method of blending is basically: mix dirty waste vegetable oil (WVO) at 85% with petrol (ULP) at 15%. Leave it to settle for 1-3 days, then drain off the sludge at the bottom of the tank and filter."

Does this mean I can simply take the oil as I find it, add ULP mix well, allow it to settle, filter to >5 micron then I can use it? It's that easy?

I've already done this with one liter samples. I hot filtered it then added ULP after it cooled. After 2days I've ended up with roughly 950ml of clear maple syrup coloured oil on top and about 50ml of beige sludge at the bottom. Does this sludge contain most of the fat, starch and water that was present in the dirty WVO?

Sorry about the questions but when I search I get dozens of results and it can get bewildering but I'm carrying out tests and it's all very interesting and quite fun too!

Thanks once again!

Comment

Hello Again

Did some more searching and found one of your posts tbird here....

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use...too_far-2.html.

"Collect oil in 20L buckets.......settle (longer times are better).......carefully tip out oil till fat appears while coarse filtering to blending tank.......add desired amount ULP.......agitate with stick ...... settle (longer times are better)....... decant 20mm from bottom of holding tank........ trickle feed through 10micron sock, inside 5 micron filter sock into holding tank (200L drum). Filter through 1micron sock on entry to van vege tank.

Notes:
        The fatty reject oil get stored till I have enough to heat up and add baking soda and salt. Also throw in any ugly oil that's too horrible to filter. This method will settle out the fat quite nicely. Get baking soda and salt from farming supply store.

The 5 & 10 miicron socks mentioned above are fitted to the top of the 200L drum. The 10 fits reasonably well inside the 5 and allows double filtration with a single pass. It also allows for the 10 to be removed and have the accumulated fat removed, by squeezing, from the closed end to the other, with my fingers. Fingers do quite a reasonable job. The 10 micron sock can be recycled over and over with this method.

Hope that's clear.

Tbird
        "

That clarifies it, thank you very much!

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, I did write one but it mustn't have posted, I thought I did and thought it was being moderated first. Thanks for your reply tbird, been reading this whole site avidly it's all very interesting.

thanks once again

SabaiSabai

Comment

Well. we're all in the same boat so helping each other is the thing. How about posting some pics of your set up so far?

Comment

Originally posted by tbird650 View Post
              Well. we're all in the same boat so helping each other is the thing. How about posting some pics of your set up so far?
              Not really worth posting any pix yet as my set up is rather primitive and nothing to write home about. At the moment it's a bunnings bag over a plastic bin. I'm testing the mix that I'll be putting in my tank by mixing the same in bottles and putting them in the fridge with a 100% dino bottle as a control. So far my mix (80% dino/20%WVO ULP)remains liquid and is similar to dino down to 3c and has an almost identical viscosity to dino when placed in the freezer to -5c. The next test is heating small samples while exposed to air to see if it turns into injector blocking goo. If that's the case then I'll be fitting a two tank system when I can afford it.

Thanks

Sabai

Comment

Working...
              X