Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy synthetic diesel fuel lines in Melbourne??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy synthetic diesel fuel lines in Melbourne??

Hi All,

I want to start running my 1979 diesel VW Golf on Biodiesel, and seeing as the fuel system is broken at the moment (I'm changing my injector pump which died last week) I thought I would change all the fuel lines to synthetic (vitron is the type I have seen mentioned a few times).

I went down to Repco this afternoon but was met with blank faces!! I want to do the job myself, so does anyone know where I can get synthetic diesel fuel lines in Melbourne???

Thanks very much,
    Huw

Re: Where to buy synthetic diesel fuel lines in Melbourne??

Try an Enzed or Pirtek store, should be a couple in the phone book.

Viton is a synthetic material used in molded parts, such as O-Rings, Seals and Carb seats. I don't think you'll find hoses in the stuff. There are plenty of other Synthetic hoses available.
    Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

All Fuel Line is synthetic

Natural rubber has never been used for fuel line.
      Natural rubber does not stand up to petroleum products any better than it stands up to biodiesel.
      I suspect most fuel line sold will stand up to biodiesel.

Tilly

Comment

Pitek is the place but you may have to get something other than their fuel line. I was at Pirtek yesterday and was supplied with a fuel line but it has a steel braid which may make fitting it to the existing steel fuel line difficult. It has been suggested their food grade nylon line will suffice. Will let you know how I go fitting the piece I got yesterday.

Comment

I have been using a goodyear chemical hose from pirtek - it has a nylon inner liner. It is holding up well.

I have previously used gates red fuel lines which weeped badly.

I think it was referred to as a spray hose.... ask at the counter they have reference books which include references to BD.

Cheers,
          Paul
          Brisbane
          80 series TDi with 100K on B100
          2005 Audi A3 TDi B20-B50 60K on BD
          1993 Daihatsu Rocky - B100 20K on BD - all good!

Comment

Hi all,
            I was also met with a blank look from an AutoPro shop when I asked if the hose was synthetic. He said its rubber! After I suggested perhaps it was not, he went to great effort to get info for me on the product they stock.
            The hose is "GOSS" brand fuel line. He rang their tech line and they informed him their hose will tolerate 10% alcohol content?? The inner core is “Acrylonitrile” based synthetic rubber.
            This is just their standard fuel hose of the roll. I ended going with the fuel injection hose which is the same technology but with more reinforcing for high pressure at double the price. (I know! this was probably a waste of money but only a couple of bucks with such a small amount of hose)
            I am still not sure if it will stand up to Bio for extended periods. I suppose time will tell.
            Cheers all
            96 Mitsubishi Delica Jasper SOLD [piece of junk]
            93 1HDT Landcruiser SOLD [still going strong]
            90 1HDT Landcruiser Current
            Combined total of 380,000kms on Bio Diesel with no problems related to bio.

Comment

You may also care to look at some more sophisticated home brew places that have silicon rubber line but make sure they sell it in the size you need.

As Mallcruiser noted Pirtek sell a Goodyear spray hose with a solid nylon inner, works very well but as far as I know its 1/2 inch in size, check if they have it smaller and I will almost bet the Golf will need metric sizes.

Do a google search on Silicon hose in Australia you'll be surprised.

Be warned new fuel line seems to handle biodiesel far worse than old fuel line. I have been told that the old line has vulcanised in the presence of the sulphur used in the fuel a few years back, true or not it is the case that the older lines suffer it better.

Matt
              Matt
              Last edited by Matt; 17 October 2006, 08:24 PM.
              Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Working...
              X