Driving across Australia - Brisbane to Perth on Biodiesel and WVO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving across Australia - Brisbane to Perth on Biodiesel and WVO

Some members are aware that my wife and I flew to Brissy and purchased a car from a bloke in Surfers Paradise (Yes, I noww know that I could have flown direct to Surfers') and drove it home to Perth.

tillyfromparadise; cuppatea; dagwill; gilfish; shiner; Westwinds;
    Thanks to you all for offering fuel on our trip back to Perth. Special thanks to Tilly and Shiner for the fuel and the encouragement they provided.

Here is the story of our trip home:

We drove from Surfers Paradise to Tilly's place, where he provided us with 240L of biodiesel in 12, 20 litre containers (which filled the boot) and filled the 60L fuel tank.
    After spending Wednesday night in their good company, we headed for WA.
    We drove 960 Km to Cobar NSW where we over-nighted in a Motel.
    On Friday we drove another 960 Km to Whyalla SA where Shiner & Gillfish supplied us with 5 micron filtered WVO. We stayed overnight at Whyalla.

On Saturday, we continued westwards, but around 10km after passing Yalata, we experienced power loss and were stuck on the side of the road, miles from nowhere (Yalata). Passing motorists offered assistance, but none could fix the issue, but we confirmed that there was air in the fuel coming from the tank, despite a near full tank. I had no knowledge of the fuel system on this model (most of my experience has been on W123 and W124 300Ds). My wife had no coverage on her Optus phone, but I managed to get coverage on my Telstra mobile. I phoned for help and soon had a Towie with a tilt tray coming to take us back to Ceduna SA.
    6 hours later (8pm) we were delivered to a motel in Ceduna.

The Towie offered to come over on Sunday morning to see if we could get the car running again.
    I searched the forum and internet for W202 C250D fuel diagrams and found several hits, including the Russian VIN/Parts book site. As the internet connection was time and bandwidth limited, I saved these to my Notebook PC for reference in the morning.
    We confirmed the air issue and purchased some clear beverage tubing which we ran from the fuel filler cap, over the roof of the car to the passenger side of the bonnet, and into the engine bay, without crimping the tube as it passed under the bonnet.

It was attached using a fuel prefilter for our 300D's (which I had brought along, with a couple of butterfly hose clamps, in case they were needed). The prefilter has 8mm OD which worked well with the beverage tube (8mm ID), but the vehicle fuel hose for the fuel supply line was a 10mm hose. A hose clamp enabled that hose to seal to the 8mm prefilter. A fishing sinker, wired to the tank end of the hose helped keep the hose in the fuel. A disposable "emergency fuel cap" was drilled to allow the beverage hose to pass thru into the tank, in an attempt to keep most contaminants out.
    On Sunday afternoon at 1:30 we departed Ceduna, with many thanks to our Towie (Malcolm), whose ingenuity and "return to basics" diagnosis skills proved their worth. He also provided transport to/from the shops and local knowledge of which shops were open on a Sunday.

Unfortunately, the beverage tube could only draw from the top 1/4 of the tank, and below that, any speed reduction would cause air to be drawn into our makeshift fuel line. This meant that refueling stops were at 240Km intervals (20 litres of biodiesel or WVO), but as we had plenty on board, this was not an issue for us and it provided a prompt for a change of driver and time to walk around while transferring the fuel from the containers to the fuel tank.

We arrived in Mundrabilla WA at 8:45 pm Sunday, covering 557km (the last 70km at speeds of 50 - 75km/h due to high kangaroo numbers and a reluctance to damage my wife's new car.

On Monday, we departed for home (1380km), leaving Mundrabilla at 6am. We arrived home at around 10pm Perth time.

I was back at work on the Tuesday and managed to arrange for my Mercedes mechanic (Klaus) to deal with the issues early the following week. I reconnected the fuel line to the tank and removed the duct tape and beverage tube. The car ran fine on the fuel in the tank. I suspect that the high viscosity of the WVO was too much for the hose connecting the tank outlet to the fuel pipes in the car and allowed some air to be sucked in.

By the way, Duct tape will hold 8mm beverage tube to the roof of the car at speeds of 110km/h for over 2 days. Removing the glue residue is relatively easy - leave the car in the sun for 10 minutes, smear the glue residue with cooking oil and rub the glue residue with fingers until it is loose, then wipe off before washing with detergent and water.

Klaus dealt with all the issues listed in our Pre Purchase Inspection and all the issues with the motor and transmission, which the computer highlighted. We then fitted new tyres and had a wheel alignment done before the car was inspected for licensing in WA. The car had no defect notices applied and is now licensed in my wife's name.

Note to Self: I will only run a blend or biodiesel in this car - the air leak has still not been positively dealt with as it was not evident during Klaus' testing - until the air leak has positively been eliminated.

Regards,
    Tony.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: Driving across Australia - Brisbane to Perth on Biodiesel and WVO

WOW what a trip. Top stuff overcoming your problems along the way.I bet you wont forget that trip for a while.
    I think of all the comfortable camping trips that i barely remember, however its the ones when the weather turned bad and things went wrong that i remember most and makes me smile when i think of them.
    WELL DONE

Comment

Oh,
      by the way, this was the first time that the car had tasted either biodiesel or veggie oil, so she went well.
      Thus far, no diesel gunk has come from the tank (plastic tank on this model).
      I will keep you informed.

Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Well done tony & wife it is an eventful trip when minor things like that can be overcome and add to the novelty of it. Most country folk seem to be like that multi skilled with the basic knowledge in all areas, probably more interested in your setup and use of WVO than any monetary recompense for himself, good luck with it in the future it is a very impressive car. andy

Comment

Gee what an adventure. Ah that "sinking feeling" as we have all experienced. You can't beat running a new hose when all else fails. Well done!

Comment

Sounds like fun Tony. Hope the car is sorted soon. Do you intend to convert it in any way? What exactly is beverage hose? I bought some clear vinyl/ plastic/ hose from Stratco and found biodiesel bled through it. It would not let air in but was constantly wet with fuel on the outside, not useful.
            Johnnojack
            4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
            Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

JJ,
              Beverage tube is the clear tube that you have described.
              It lasted long enough to get us home and is a lot cheaper than 8m fuel hose.
              I tried to use that same hose on the weekend, on a similar fuel filter and it would not seal. The biodiesel had affected its elasticity. Imagine if that had happened on the last section from Ceduna to Perth.

The car will be used with biodiesel only (at this stage)

I did some googling on this issue and found that the syphon tube in the "saddle" fuel tank is only purged of air when the tank is filled. More testing is underway (with 50L of biodiesel in the boot and and electric fuel pump in there also, to check for air leaks, rather than relying on the fuel pump on the IP to pull fuel from the tank. In this way, I can minimise cranking the engine to see if I have air entering the fuel system.

I will keep you informed on our progress.

Regards,
              Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
              X