25L plastic containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25L plastic containers

I've always been fond of the idea of being able to store biodiesel in 25L containers as a 200L drum is somewhat harder to move and does not fit in the back of my car.

Also, when filling up, the 25L container can simply be placed on the roof and the tap fitted to the bung in the bottom can drain via a tube straight into the car's tank.

I've looked around for a cheap, but good quality solution that can meet my requirements.

I've settled for these green containers eventually as they are dark, so any oxidisation/algal growth will not be as likely from exposure to sunlight (as would happen in the normal translucent containers.)

They are also approved as "dangerous goods containers" and were used to store "flammable liquids" (food grade juice concentrates). I don't think this is the same as the standard that an "approved" fuel jerry can would have, but it is the closest I could find without buying fuel jerries.

Also of course, they are stackable, so they can take less space in my garage by going up against a wall.

And lastly, they look great with the funky new Sydney Biodiesel Stencil I've made to spray on them. (If anyone wants the stencil, let me know - I can post it up so you can print it yourself)

It was a bit of an effort to properly clean out all of them and drill the hole for the bung (not to mention spraying the stencil), but now I have 300L of storage that I can move by myself and haul around inside my car (with the back seats folded down).

The only downside is they are trickier fill than the translucent containers as you have to watch the level inside to avoid overfilling.

I've bought them from a bloke in Mount Druitt. He does them for $10ea, but will do them for us @ $8ea in quantities of 10, or $6ea in quantities over 20. If anyone wants to join together to buy a bunch, let me know. I know that you can get free or cheaper containers elsewhere, but I was looking for the most "professional" solution to storing my biodiesel. I figured if I'm going to run the site and promote biodiesel in Sydney, I'd better look good doing it.
    Robert
    Administrator
    Last edited by Robert; 18 December 2005, 09:23 PM.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: 25L plastic containers

What do you see as the benifit of the plastic drums over the 20L tins the oil comes in which I have literally seen skip loads of empties being thrown out. The tins are stackable and quite strong as well. You can even sit them on a gas ring to warm the contents to make it pour easier

I always thought having the translucent containers was good as you could see how much was in them. From the angle of agal growth the tins would be perfect in admitting no light at all.

Only advantage I can see the plastic containers having over the tins is 5 L more capacity. Is that the main benifit of them? Spose with the 20L tins you have 1 more drum per 100l but as they are literally lying around everywhere, getting hold of them is no problem.

Today I noticed some drums sitting outside a paint shop that were 50L I think and had a metal tap fitting in the bottom. I think they were used originally for paint thinners. Perhaps these would be good for transporting or storing larger amounts of fuel.

Comment

You are right, the 20L tins are a good option, but the plastic will never rust and can take knocks without getting dents etc. Also, they have a bung in the bottom, which makes draining them into the tank a little easier. Those 50L thinners drums with the taps sounds like a good option as well.
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

Personally I think either are great. I particularly like the stencil. Great touch.

I think stackability is important. And for long term storage I would think 200Lt drums are OK and you can decant them when ready for use.

Joe
        Joe Morgan
        Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
        http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
        SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Robert,
          Your 25L chemical drums look great.
          I use the 20 litre opaque drums as Used Cooking Oil fuel tanks in my MB 300D boot.
          It is much easier to fill the opaque ones, but as you say, they are more likely to have degradation issues than the green ones you have.

Has anyone done any tests, to determine the degradation of biodiesel, under these conditions?
          I also expect that you are filling them "very full" to exclude most of the water, preventing oxidation and polymerisation of the biodiesel.

I havebeen using the 50 (60?) litre drums as oil collection drums where my supplier has a large output of UCO. I can manhandle one of these drums easily (not like wrestling a 200 Litre drum) and lift them into and out of my trailer.
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

A warning on the tin drums, heating them can be dangerous as they are solded and if the contents are insufficient to keep the whole tin even temperature they could burst and that could be catastropic.
            A pan between the tin and the burner with some water in it although slower may be a better way to go.
            This method could also be used with the plastic cans, we used to heat honey that way. bob kellyville nsw

Comment

hi bob,
              i think that if you were to check 20 litre drums are no longer solded but are welded. soldered seams went out many years ago. I use a vegie oil drum with the top cut out to heat the fat and for dewatering purposes.
              cheers brian

Comment

We recently repainted some rooms of our house. The paint tins were all rolled edges. No solder there, possibly some sealant though.

Anyone know if they use sealant?
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi robert and others,
                  Down South here in Nowra I have bought 25 ltr white square drums for $3 each. With a tap I think they are $5. They are from a soap shop in the Woolworths arcade.
                  I don't store the Bio in these but use them when I go on a trip, I found that a pourer from a plastic Jerry can will fit the threads on these drums .
                  I store my Bio in a 300ltr household hotwater heater that I have cut the top off and have placed ply on top and have a 12volt fuel pump that has a filter and a service station type nozzel. This makes it easy for my wife to fill her car when I am not around!!!!
                  Sorry I have diverted from the plastic containers----Oily
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X