Drving across Australia Adelaide to Perth on Biodiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drving across Australia Adelaide to Perth on Biodiesel

I have purchased another W202 C250 Turbodiesel, similar to the one we purchased for my wife. Hers is a 1999, mine is a 1998. Mine has about 30 000km more on the clock.

After getting a PM on the Mercedes Forum OZBENZ - Australian & New Zealand Mercedes-Benz Forums • Index page about this car, receiving photos of it and having a report from the people who serviced the car for the last 8 years, we decided that this was a reasonable buy. We paid a deposit and bought air fares to Adelaide and arranged for the vendor to pick us up when we arrived.

We arrived in Adelaide on Tuesday morning at around 11am, we met the vendor who picked us up from the airport and drove us to Gepps Cross. We completed the deal there, before we drove off to Whyalla.

We caught up with a friend (Gilfish) and his wife, who provided us with 200 litres of biodiesel in 20L containers in the boot and topped up our fuel tank. We spent some time talking with them before we left to find our accommodation.
    After a poor sleep (hard mattress and flat pillows) we arose at 3:30 am and had a couple of cups of tea before deciding to get an early start on our journey home to Perth.

As it was around 3 hours before sunrise, we kept the speed down to 80 km/h to give us a chance to see any "Skippys" before they caused any damage to the new car. We passed thru Kimba around sunrise then accelerated to the speed limit. We swapped drivers every 2-3 hours, with the non-driver getting some sleep for an hour or so, to ensure their concentration when they resumed driving.

We spent the night at Cocklebiddy on the Eyre Highway and had a good night's sleep in a comfortable bed with good pillows.

The trip home was pretty uneventful, apart from finding that the wiper hub needs lubricating and as a result the wipers were too slow to be of any use at all. Fortunately, we didn't have any rain until we were 2 hours from home and then we just looked thru the wet windscreen.
    The only other issue we had was that the car starved of fuel on one occasion, when a 1/4 tank remained. I guess that the higher viscosity of biodiesel (compared with petroleum diesel) meant that at highway speeds, the fuel levels in the "saddle tank" was unable to equalise fast enough, and the side from which the fuel was being drawn, ran empty. I topped up the tank and despite a lot of cranking, the car would not fire.
    I opened up the prefilter and filled it with biodiesel. We cranked a little more, before I opened the prefilter again and topped it up with biodiesel. We only had to crank a little before the engine roared into life. My wife held the engine revs to 3K for a couple of minutes to ensure that all air was out of the system. We then resumed our travels, with no further problem (mainly because we added 20 litres every 250km or half tank, which ever came first).

In the 2500 odd km traveled, we averaged 8 litres per 100 km, traveling at ~110km/h.

We are very happy with my new C250 Turbodiesel.

I am investigating installing a fuel pick up on the Driver's side of the tank, to overcome the issue we had. I may investigate adding a fuel pump to assist with priming.

A big thank you to Gilfish for his support this time. It is a pity that we could not catch up with Shiner (who supported us last time we passed thru Whyalla). We had half a tank of fuel and 20 litres of biodiesel in the boot when we arrived home.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Re: Drving across Australia Adelaide to Perth on Biodiesel

Pictures Tony - Pictures !!! I assume you will shortly be opening a car dealership over there ?

Craig
    Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
    210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
    Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

Craig I think his plan is to buy up every W202 C250 Turbodiesel in the country and create a monopoly. :-)
      Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
      12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
      Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
      Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
      Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Yeah well if he comes into NSW i am meeting him at the Border with a Gun !!!

No SandGropers allowed

Craig

Comment

Yeah he certainly is a prolific merc merchant, mind you after admiring it in the flesh I can see why.
          My wife now wants one, there goes my plans of upgrading the 60 series to 105 series.
          It seems a little unusual for the saddle tank to be that sensitive to the viscosity difference as I believe it is not a great deal of difference.
          I reckon you must be right though as your solution worked, be good to have one of these tanks out and have a good look at it, you would not do that unless it was absolutely necessary. Good to see all three of you arrived in good shape, I just dropped off the 2 large and 2 small filter bags to shiners place tonight, as he might be asleep due to night shift I left them on the front porch. If you read this shiner go out and get them. regards andy

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
            We have enough of these now, so there should be 1 or 2 on the market in other states over time.

I do promise to not buy them ahead of you.
            Just remember - be quick, get a PPI and do the REVS check (or whatever it is now) so that your 'due diligence' protects you from scammers.

I was not the only potential purchaser, the seller said that someone else had phoned with plans to bring a car trailer from Victoria to take the car home on, until he told them that he had already received a deposit from me.

I have purchased a second fuel pickup / tank sender from the wreckers here and plan to install it on the driver's side of the saddle tank. I will try running on that pickup, with the other one blocked off, to see how it goes on biodiesel when the tank is low. If OK, I will go for a 50:50 blend of filtered veggie oil and biodiesel on that pickup. I will then try 100% veggie and use both pickups, teed into the fuel delivery line.

During these tests, I will have enough fuel to top-up the tank so I can get home after re-priming the fuel system.

Regards,
            Tony

I will report back on this thread and on the OzBenz.net forum.

Photos?

They will come once I have time to wash the car and get it registered in WA.

Regards,
            Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

OK,
              I licensed the car in WA on Friday, Washed the car today,
              Took photos for you all to see.

With the image posting issues we have on the forum (Hint Robert), I am linking you to my photobucket Slide show for the car.

Enjoy:http://s34.photobucket.com/user/tony...%20Turbodiesel

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                OK,
                I licensed the car in WA on Friday, Washed the car today,
                Took photos for you all to see.

With the image posting issues we have on the forum (Hint Robert), I am linking you to my photobucket Slide show for the car.

Enjoy:http://s34.photobucket.com/user/tony...%20Turbodiesel

Very nice looking car there Tony - immaculate condition.

What is one of these in that sort of condition going to set someone back in the eastern states ?

Craig

Comment

I believe you should be able to get one with no mechanical issues for around $8500, drop the price for issues like ball joints, struggling wiper, etc. These cost me only $400 to overcome, prior to licensing in WA.

We paid $6500 for my wife's, but it needed $2000 of work done when we got back to Perth. My mechanic is very cheap, only replaces what needs doing and is a Master Mercedes Benz Mechanic - and NO he does not want any more customers.

Regards,
                  Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

That's a great looking car Tony. From the pics it looks like not a cent needs spending. However we have all known owners who think looking after a car only means polishing it every weekend. Still a bargain nevertheless. Have you been able to part with the old ones yet?
                    Johnnojack
                    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

JJ,
                      I plan to retain the Coupe as I can't bear selling it for a low price, and that is what the WA market will pay.
                      I do need a car for towing a trailer load of hay across the paddock to feed the sheep and until I have the C250 running reliably on WVO blend, I will still use it for most of my running around (on the blend).
                      We are going on a trip this weekend and will travel ~500km in it. Very comfortable, plenty of power and all the fruit.

I do need to add another fuel pickup to the Driver's side of the fuel tank so my use of WVO can be reliable.

Best wishes,
                      Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
                      X