Rinsed my radiator with glycerine,now full of black ****,please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rinsed my radiator with glycerine,now full of black ****,please help

Had to drop coolant so i thought i would add a ltr or so of glycerine first, because its such a good cleaner I gave it a burst around the block to swirl things about and then dropped the coolant
    Instead of giving things a good clean, it must have reacted with the coolant, I now have all this black sticky **** throughout my cooling system
    What would be the best thing to get rid of said gunk and start again
    Any ideas please

Re: Rinsed my radiator with glycerine,now full of black ****,please help

well its water soluble - i would do a test outside of the radiator but if OK then remove the thermostat and just do a continual hose through of water for a couple of hours ?

Craig
    Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
    210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
    Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

it seems to have formed a black substance that is NOT water soluble

Comment

Originally posted by dagwill View Post
        it seems to have formed a black substance that is NOT water soluble
        ooops

looks like a new radiator
        1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

Comment

Originally posted by Bueff View Post
          ooops
          looks like a new radiator
          Not to mention the engine.

Comment

Have you found anything that WILL dissolve this black goop?

Needs someone with some chemistry to chime in. What coolant was it?

Just some ideas - no idea if any of them might work.
            Caustic?
            Acid?
            Water?
            Biodiesel?
            Radiator flush?
            Some kind of fossil fuel, kerosene?

By the way, it'd didn't sound like such a bad thing to have done, just a really bad outcome by the sound of it.

Tim
            Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
            12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
            Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
            Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
            Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

as would be the case , the radiator was only about 6 months old
              Ill try a series of solvents
              I just didnt want to try radiator flush/cleaner in case i made things worse
              Thanks for positive feedback, any bright ideas let me know
              It was just the elcheapo coolant from big W [ i wonder if that stuff contains nitric acid ]

Comment

Hi Tim,
                Originally posted by Tim-HJ61 View Post
                By the way, it'd didn't sound like such a bad thing to have done, just a really bad outcome by the sound of it.
                Tim
                This is where age and experience gives a greater insight.
                30 years go I would have likely done the same thing.
                Now, there is no way I would have added "glycerine" to my radiator in the hope that it would clean it out.

However, I truly hope that Dagwill gets this sorted out with minimal cost and this becomes just one more of his life's learning experiences.

Tilly Pots

Comment

Dagwil

First of all what engine are we talking about and what sort is mileage is on it ?
                  Secondly caustic is what caused this problem so dont try that again. Water didnt work nor will bio. Chances are a very mild acid possibly might but you need to pull the thermostat and radiator hoses to see where the goo is coming from.
                  Hopefully you just stripped a rubber hose and not a water jacket of some kind. Does anyone know if a radiator has an inner lining ?

Keep the chin up and hope it has a cheep fix.
                  Good luck

Michael
                  97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
                  2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
                  2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
                  2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
                  2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
                  Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

Dagwill,
                    I support the idea of a chemical attack on the substance.
                    Can you get some out of the system and see what happens with each of the chemicals / solvents mentioned, without risking the car any further.

Caustic is a problem in motor vehicle engines - many parts are affected by caustic (all alloy parts in the coolant path). Take care if this is the only substance which makes the black s--t liquid. Us a low concentration for a short period of time.
                    After deciding on a chemical attack on it and cleaning the system out, flush with tap water, then again with tap water in which citric acid has been dissolved, before refilling with coolant.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Tony
                    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                      Dagwill,
                      I support the idea of a chemical attack on the substance.
                      Can you get some out of the system and see what happens with each of the chemicals / solvents mentioned, without risking the car any further.

Caustic is a problem in motor vehicle engines - many parts are affected by caustic (all alloy parts in the coolant path). Take care if this is the only substance which makes the black s--t liquid. Us a low concentration for a short period of time.
                      After deciding on a chemical attack on it and cleaning the system out, flush with tap water, then again with tap water in which citric acid has been dissolved, before refilling with coolant.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Tony
                      If this stuff looks like he says and is as thick then i do not think that anything is going to get it out of water paths in the engine block - all of which are quite small and not easily got at with a water flush, i think he may be faced with stripping at least the top end otherwise he would have to a good candidate for getting a cracked head from bad water circulation ?

Craig
                      Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
                      210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
                      Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

I must correct something i said [Not solvent in water] , well certainly not very, it was seperating out from the water.
                        Got a little line of coke lids and began with solvents
                        1/ water, well no not really,perhaps a little bit
                        2/ petrol, hell no, totaly insoluble
                        3/ cloths washing detergent, yes very dark liquid on top could be poured off leaving about 1/2 the original volume of gunk on the bottom consisting of fine particles,no loger clinging together, easily rinsed away.Rubbed between fingers would [cream] very grippy.
                        4/ more glycerine, same as detergent.

Now i am thinking this may be the same as blameing everything including flat tyres on Bio
                        Perhaps the glycerine disloged nearly 30 yrs of crud build up [HJ60] and its just that i didnt finish off the job properly, or a little residue glycerine has continued to clean
                        will keep you posted
                        This is a fantastic forum, I mean a man has a problem hes not sure about , and within a few hrs theres help and ideas and different points of view, love it
                        dagwill
                        Last edited by dagwill; 28 October 2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Dagwill

how about using boiling water ?? if it moves with glycerine or detergent then it contains some kind of fatty / grease product ?? correct me if I'm wrong.

Unfortunately there are so many items connected to the radiator coolant system.
                          Do you have a way to pressurise hot water and feed through the block and radiator hoses with out having the radiator connected ?

Hmm so many things to look at. Have you removed the radiator hoses and checked the thermostat ?
                          Luckily Toyota build such a big strong engine but I know how heavy the head is on a six cylinder cruiser thanks to Cade.

Got some pictures to boast the find ?

Michael
                          97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
                          2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
                          2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
                          2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
                          2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
                          Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

Dagwill,

The 2H, I assume, has a block drain plug down low on the exhaust side near the back of the block. The 12h-t has one here, I am assuming the 2H is in the same place. There are two plugs. One is brass and screws into a steel fitting that screws into the block. As the brass is soft, and particularly when there is a turbo in the way, it is easy to not get correct purchase on this plug and mush it up. With care they can be removed, and the thread "may" be the same as a standard garden hose fitting. "may" being the important word here!

That will help you flush from down low and up out the thermostat or water pump lines.
                            The galleries in the head are not that tiny, but obviously are not meant to be filled with goop!

I wouldn't think the black goop was simply buildup, it would most likely be brown rusty colour if that was the case I would think.

Nothing to do with this issue, but I'm sticking with Toyota coolant now for all my vehicles. Not cheap, but long lasting and very effective.

Do you have any biodiesel to check the black goop with?

Tim
                            Tim-HJ61
                            Donating Member
                            Last edited by Tim-HJ61; 29 October 2013, 07:55 PM. Reason: Added query about Biodiesel
                            Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
                            12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
                            Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
                            Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
                            Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Working...
                            X