How do you store 25Kg KOH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you store 25Kg KOH?

Just wondering how people are storing and keeping the moisture out of KOH?
    G

Re: How do you store 25Kg KOH?

Originally posted by gwalker View Post
    Just wondering how people are storing and keeping the moisture out of KOH?
    G
    Depending on the batch size and titration of your oil source, I suggest that you store around the amount you need per batch in Ziplok bags, in a sealable drum.

Use only one ziplok bag at a time
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
      Depending on the batch size and titration of your oil source, I suggest that you store around the amount you need per batch in Ziplok bags, in a sealable drum.

Use only one ziplok bag at a time
      Tony,
      From your reply I read that:

If my normal WVO batch size is 60 litres, I should:
      1. divide my 24Kg bag of KOH into 5 x 4.5 kg lots and seal each into a Ziploc bag
      2. keep the remainder 2.5 kg for titration adjustment and seal into a Ziploc bag
      3. Store all bags in a sealable drum.

Sounds a good solution.
      G

Comment

Originally posted by gwalker View Post

If my normal WVO batch size is 60 litres, I should:
        1. divide my 24Kg bag of KOH into 5 x 4.5 kg lots and seal each into a Ziploc bag

Sounds a good solution.
        G
        You use 4.5 Kg of KOH per 60L Batch???
        Dam! And I thought the oil I got titrated High!

I used to do the same thing with powered Photo Chemicals. A tin to make up 1 Litre was about $7 and a box to make up 25L was about $15. I weighed it out into zip bags to make up the 5L lots I prefered to use and saved quite a bit of money. Just to make sure the bags were airtight I used to put the chemistry in a second bag upside down to minimise the chance of any air getting in and there was no problem re-using the bags a few times as well.
        Last edited by Guest; 12 October 2006, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I generally leave it in the bag and take out what I need, I seal it up very well each time. Mind you I use 10Kg per batch (1000 litre) so have to say using 4.5Kg per 60 litre batch is very high. It may pay to look at the acid base reaction (Fatta) and drop this level down. Its cheaper to use 60ml of H2SO4 than a few Kg of KOH and gives higher conversion too but we stray off topic.

Zip lock bags with a per batch portion is the idea of choice. You caould alos get a 20 litre sealable drum to put them in too.

Matt
          Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
            You use 4.5 Kg of KOH per 60L Batch???
            Dam! And I thought the oil I got titrated High!
            David, I'm yet to make my first batch and you seem to have highlighted a basic flaw in my understanding of the amount of KOH requied per litre of oil.
            In all the reading I've done I thought it was base + titration per litre.
            ie. 6.5gm base plus approx 1gm titration = 7.5gm per litre x 60 litres = 4.5kg.

What amount of KOH would you use for 60 litres?

My processor is almost complete and I am just trying to find out how to seal in the heating element as I understand the gasket supplied with the element is rubber.

My 80 litre processor (ex water heater) takes a flange type heating element. - fantastic shape by the way - cone both top and bottom.
            G

Comment

Hi Guys,

My way of storing the 25 Kgs of KOH. I bought a good quality 25 Litre bucket with a resealable lid. I also acquired a 5 Kg sealed bucket. I fill the 5 kg then seal the 25kg. I dispense from the 5kg drum at bench level, this means my titration indicated KOH can be weighed and sealed in 4 Plastic sealed beakers ready for mixing. I have had no clumping of the KOH crystals at all. It also means I only open the main drum on 5 occasions and quickly. I have used the sealed bags before and do not trust them. I batched chemicals for my Hydroponics, their integrity was questionable at times. Thus, I will trust them not especially for KOH.

Regardss

Dillyman

Comment

Guys, 60 * 7.5 grams equals 450 grams not 4.5Kg, I would not like to see the mess left after using 4.5Kg KOH on 60 litres of oil.

The bucket idea is great why did I not think of that one? Dumb me.

Matt
                Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                  Guys, 60 * 7.5 grams equals 450 grams not 4.5Kg, I would not like to see the mess left after using 4.5Kg KOH on 60 litres of oil.

The bucket idea is great why did I not think of that one? Dumb me.

Matt
                  Matt, not dumb you! it was me that got the decimal place wrong!
                  G

Comment

Aww Shucks!
                    And I thought someone had discovered the first know oil that titrated in the 60's....

Comment

when i get a 25 kg bag of caustic i put the bulk of it in a 20 ltr paint tin or an old frytol tin as they have one of those over centre locks on the lid with a rubber sealing ring in the lid. i put about 4 kg into a smaller container [i use an old 4 ltr paint tin] this i open and close as needed. when its about gone i wait for a hot dry day open my frytol tin and decant another 4 kg ready for use, that way i get no moisture in my main tin.

Comment

Working...
                      X