glycerine build up in pumps and injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glycerine build up in pumps and injectors

hi all, i have just had an injector pump rebuilt and asked the diesel mechanic (he does all the pump work) about bio and he showed me the paperwork from bosch wich was all about warranty . it said if there is any evidence of a build up of glycerine from bio in the pump they would void the warranty,

how do i know if my bio has to much glycerine and if it will clog the pump,
    i have not used any bio in the pump yet but have a batch ready for use (as far as i know)
    the pump was done up because it was leaking (from low sulpher diesel they tell me) any help or advice will be much appreciated
    thanks jeff

Re: glycerine build up in pumps and injectors

Jeff well made and washed bio should not have any glis in it.

Cheers Fantom

Comment

I also have a piece of paper with my hand writing on it. It says something like "if there is any evidence of a bad batch of any fuel in the pump they would void the warranty"

This goes for all fuel not just biodiesel.
      Joe Morgan
      Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
      http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
      SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I've heard of that statement from Bosch. Apparently they have photos of a pump clagged up with gunk. They say it is from biodiesel. This scares most people off biodiesel and also gives them an easy way to not have to cover warranty.
        However, those of us who try to educate ourselves will know a few key facts:

1. Mixing vegetable oil into petro diesel is NOT biodiesel.
        2. Running SVO is not biodiesel.
        3. Biodiesel which does not meet spec is not biodiesel.

Well, that last point is a bit harsh, but the point is that left over glycerine will not be present in quality biodiesel. This is scare mongering that keeps everyone buying that dirty fossil stuff that little bit longer.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

Hello Jeff,
          Did the Bosch paper advise what their position would be if they found Swiss Cheese or Builders Bog in the IP?

Tilly

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
            Hello Jeff,
            Did the Bosch paper advise what their position would be if they found Swiss Cheese or Builders Bog in the IP?

Tilly

Or sugar etc etc?
            Dave

Comment

Traces of fish and chips in the pump could make the Bosch warranty police suspicious that someone used a bad batch!

G

Comment

I'm not worried, my truck has been out of warranty for 13 years.

Comment

I find it amusing that when talking to " Non-Believers" many will immeadiately express a negative opinion or account of woe from some story they "heard" about from someone using Bio then almost Happily and jokingly share tales of disaster from getting stiffed with a bad load of Dino.

It's like they think bad dino either happens once every million years and it was somone elses fault their vehicle was damaged through it or they seem to think that it does happen but when it happens it is OK but only if the damage was done by dino.

Someone recently was telling me about how they " knew" about Bio shortening the life of IP's to just 3 years. ( like it was a set figure that the pump fell over at midnight on that 3 yr date). I asked as to the amount of fuel the person used which was significant and also how much they paid for their last IP rebuild which wasn't too long ago.

A quick bit of mental math showed that if the person were making their own BD @ .30C per litre of which they could totally control the quality of and make sure was free of contamination and had to rebuild their IP every 3 years anyway, They would be at least $11,000 in front at the end of that 3 years over what they would have saved buying Dino.
                  The initial retort was about being without the vehicle while the pump was being rebuilt to which I replied as they would know when the pump was about to fall over they could book the Vehicle in as part of its normal serviceing and have a pump pre-ordered so it was there ready to be bolted on for a 1 day turn around.
                  In any event, they would have saved more than enough on fuel costs to hire a vehicle for a week and still be at least $10K in front.

I don't get why people think that if injector pumps can't be given a gold bullion certified gaurantee that their IP's will last till eternity on BD that they at worst case scenario write them off as an operating expense like tyres etc and be happy with the amount of money they would be ahead anyhow.

Don't even try telling them that commercial fuel contains BD anyhow ( that will be what ruined their IP last time then) or that BD will extrend the life of the pump and engine because these seem to be facts that they just don't want or can't comprehend.

I guess you can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink.
                  Dosen't worry me, less people clamouring for WVO

Comment

Hello Jeff,

Tilly
                    hi tilly, im not trying to scare people off bio but am trying to get the best bio i can by asking for advice and get other peoples thoughts.
                    i will use the bio i have at the moment because i think its been made good enough and have been informed of things to make it even better.
                    any idear were i can get my bio tested with out to much cost?
                    (just to get the best i can) thanks jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      Hi Jeff,

I've heard of that statement from Bosch. Apparently they have photos of a pump clagged up with gunk. They say it is from biodiesel. This scares most people off biodiesel and also gives them an easy way to not have to cover warranty.
                      However, those of us who try to educate ourselves will know a few key facts:

1. Mixing vegetable oil into petro diesel is NOT biodiesel.
                      2. Running SVO is not biodiesel.
                      3. Biodiesel which does not meet spec is not biodiesel.

Well, that last point is a bit harsh, but the point is that left over glycerine will not be present in quality biodiesel. This is scare mongering that keeps everyone buying that dirty fossil stuff that little bit longer.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

that is all well and good but im still trying to find out (how do i know if there is to much glis in my bio and wiil it run ok) not asking for someone to garentee my bio but asking for advice from people that have more experence than me thanks jeff

Comment

Jeff, if you want to see if there IS Glycerine in your BD, put a test sample of say 1lt into a 1.25lt coke bottle and add 100ml of water. Gently swish the water through the BD for about a minute and allow it to settle. If the water (after settling) appears cloudy or milky, then you still have Glycerine, Methanol and/or Caustic left in your fuel. If the water mixes into an emulsion, you have heaps of glycerine in your fuel. If the water remains clear, you've got good fuel! This won't give you a percentage amount, but will let you know if it's there in any in there.
                        BTW, after settling out the water, the BD on top is still good to use, so don't throw it away, drain it off and put it in your tank!
                        Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

Hello Jeff

If the biodiesel is "Clear and Bright" at the lowest temperature it will experience and it passes the Warnquest Conversion Test I would not hesitate to use it in any car with any injection system.

Of course I can think of a few thing that I did not hesitate to do that would have been best left undone.

Tilly
                          tillyfromparadise
                          Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 14 October 2006, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner View Post
                            Jeff, if you want to see if there IS Glycerine in your BD, put a test sample of say 1lt into a 1.25lt coke bottle and add 100ml of water. Gently swish the water through the BD for about a minute and allow it to settle. If the water (after settling) appears cloudy or milky, then you still have Glycerine, Methanol and/or Caustic left in your fuel. If the water mixes into an emulsion, you have heaps of glycerine in your fuel. If the water remains clear, you've got good fuel! This won't give you a percentage amount, but will let you know if it's there in any in there.
                            BTW, after settling out the water, the BD on top is still good to use, so don't throw it away, drain it off and put it in your tank!
                            hi gunner, i did the 100ml of bio and 100ml of water shake the tripe out of it, it settled out very nice (no mayo and clear water within 1/2 hr) i think it looks very good . also the bio gets clear near the end of the last wash
                            thanks jeff

Comment

Hello Jeff

If the biodiesel is "Clear and Bright" at the lowest temperature it will experience and it passes the Warnquest Conversion Test I would not hesitate to use it in any car with any injection system.

Of course I can think of a few thing that I did not hesitate to do that would have been best left undone.

Tilly
                              hi tilly , the bio is very clear , (can see through it easy) it has a cloud point of about - 10c looks good to me but im no expert thanks jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X