Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary hand pumps

Hi all,

Just wondering if others had any experience using rotary drum pumps to pump SVO. I'm thinking of buying one to access drums at the back of my local Fish and chip shop as they seem unbreakable.

I haven't seen much mention of these style of pumps, are people lazy or are they a general hassle to use? Can you pull SVO through filters easily?

Super Cheap Auto sells them for $40

Pirtek sell a 14L per min. one for $127 and a twin rotor 100L a min. one for $358

There are also some twin rotor type on ebay that look the same as the pirtek ones but claim to only do 50L per min.

Has anyone had any experience with the twin rotor type? Are their pumping speeds accurate?

Cheers
    Last edited by Urvey; 16 October 2006, 12:37 PM.

Re: Rotary hand pumps

According to this thread it's best to avoid the Supercheap ones. They suggested to go for the Mcnaught rotary pumps.

No idea about the other ones. Do you have a link to the Ebay ones?
    Sean

Comment

Looks like the Supercheap version is out! Thanks for saving me the time and effort.

Here is one of the twin rotor pumps offered on ebay for $232
      eBay.au: TWIN ROTOR ALLOY DRUM PUMP FUEL/OIL TRANSFER - NEW (item 7603530493 end time 20-Oct-06 12:20:54 AEST)

Comment

Originally posted by Urvey View Post
        Looks like the Supercheap version is out! Thanks for saving me the time and effort.

Here is one of the twin rotor pumps offered on ebay for $232
        eBay.au: TWIN ROTOR ALLOY DRUM PUMP FUEL/OIL TRANSFER - NEW (item 7603530493 end time 20-Oct-06 12:20:54 AEST)
        Do the twin rotor pumps need priming?

Comment

I'm not sure?

What is priming?

Comment

as posted on the supercheap thread.

from my experience,

i have a supercheap pump that was working up till i decided all that hand cranking is a bit much. As with most new ventures you start off with as little investment as possible then upgrade as you acquire knowledge or blisters. if you dont have the shop putting oil back into the 20l oil drum, then the sucker for veg oil collection supercedes everything so the least you have invested till then the best.

The dearer the rotary hand pump you start with, the dearer wall decoration you will have leaning in the garage after you upgrade if you stay with this hobby.

cheers

Comment

hi folks the 2 rotor pump as on ebay do not need priming they pump approx 1 litre per turn of the handle. pump in both directions, and I purchased 1 from the man's toyshop in rockhampton for $199. It is a good pump and cheaper than alimite or macnaught twin rotory pumps.
              I'm not sure how good it would be to pump wvo with, but pumps biodiesel just fine.

Cheers Fantom

Comment

Hello Guys,

I just wanted to share this with you...

One one afternoon I was driving past a mechanic workshop and thought of asking him about an empty steel drum. He was very happy to give me a drum and even offered me his UTE to take the drum to home. He also offered me a hand pump "see photo". This pump works great. Just as good as the rotary and it comes with an adjustable telescopic pipe to reach to any depth. This mechanic told me that oil companies usually give away those hand pumps for free as a promotion for their oils.

So it won't hurt if you can check with your local mechanic "specially if they have a big workshop" if they they have any of them to give away or even for sale at a cheap price.

Cheers

Fitian
                Fitian
                Was here
                Last edited by Fitian; 16 October 2006, 09:02 PM. Reason: adding more ...
                Fitian
                <><

Comment

Re: Rotary hand pumps - WVO pumping

Has anyone tried one of those Ebay twin rotor pumps for WVO? Or are there any other hand pumps (that aren't too expensive) that work well for pumping fairly thick WVO?
                  Sean

Comment

I've been using an orange rotary drum pump for over 6 months. I find it very good at pumping cold vege oil at good volumes.

I used to take about 60 turns to fill a 20l drum, so certainly got a good workout.

I am trying to move to a no lift process, so have bought a couple of electric pumps, but the rotary will always have a place in my process as it uses renewable energy - me - and is fast and effective with the coldest oils. It won't push oil through filters - or it may do, but tends to leak around joins. i suspect it would be very high pressure - it is a good volume pump.

I bought mine in a country town hardware store for about $80.

Tim
                    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
                    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
                    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
                    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
                    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Re: Rotary hand pumps - WVO pumping

Originally posted by pangit View Post
                      Has anyone tried one of those Ebay twin rotor pumps for WVO? Or are there any other hand pumps (that aren't too expensive) that work well for pumping fairly thick WVO?
                      I've got a twin rotor pump on order so I'll let you if they are any good.
                      George

Comment

Hi Guys,

I have an orange rotary pump off the ebay ($80 I think) - pick up in Brisbane. It is very good for most of the needs, easy self priming -- from drum of wvo from storage to processor, ( I use 6" of clear 1" hose with a reducer to 3/4" works better reduced especially if using an inline filter)) also remember the BIG advantage of these is if you use a clear tubing you can see when the poo starts to come from the bottom of the tank and THE BEST FEATURE OF THESE PUMPS is --- You can pump the handle backwards back into your source tank.
                        Another idea if you get lazy as I sometimes do , (Weld a bolt onto the spindle that will fit in a drill chuck) or drill the pump handle spindle, thread and screw in a bolt with the head cut off and using locking nuts loosen the nut on the rotary handle, secure handle on static pipe with a tie, fasten the chuck on the battery drill on the bolt The type with a forward and reverse and Voila!! it is easy peasy!!! forward or backwards and variable geared speeds. As I always say, "Give a lazy man a job to do, and, he will find and easier way of doing it" I guess I must fit into this category? Dont knock it till you try it.

SAFETY: Do not forget to unscrew the handle on the spindle and secure, as you do not want that flying around as you use the drill!!!!!

Rgds

Dillyman
                        dillyman
                        Last edited by dillyman; 11 December 2006, 10:34 PM. Reason: Safety warning!

Comment

I've got one of those Supa-Creap rotory pumps. It was given to me as the person that bought it ran out of use for it. He said it was a dog. It wouldn't prime and once ya got it pumping, if ya stopped it might loose prime.
                          Well I pulled it to bits and no wonder. These things are made in India and the quality of the casting says it all. It was full of pits and holes with one big hole in the shaft right under the seal. I filled that with some metal filler and now it works great.
                          Now for a lazy person I'd say you could drive a rotory pump with an old windscreen wiper motor.

Comment

Hi Qwarla,

Good one , to recover by a little ingenuity is always good stuff, well done!
                            The windscreen wiper motor is fine as its gear ratios are very usefull although slow, but, word of warning, use a momentary switch to control as they burn out easily.
                            I had a small suzuki one on a lifting device on the top of my Hi ace camper, for my Monocrystaline Double sided solar panel. They are supposed to be more efficient if you raise them up to 500mm, I fixed mine to 300mm. Mine works just as good without being lifted. I have total independance with this 150 watt rating, fridge (87Litres) computer, microwave, pressure water pump, lighting 2 cig lighter sockets on the side of the cooker box near the side door, good for showers, small compressors etc etc all other power devices; keeping the main batteries full charge available at all times. With a 200 amp hour glass matt fully sealed battery I can go anywhere I like. My answer to many of these driver power probs is the common battery charged hand drill. I like the 12 volter, take off the plastic casing and you have a tubular (easily mounted anywhere) variable torque 12v motor with a fabulous gear rating, also an easy attachment with the hand tightened chuck. Keep the torque off heavy and you'll never burn them out.
                            I love gizzmo's - especially ones that are cheap ,easy and work every time.
                            They usually are turfed out because of dead batterries.

Regards

Dillman
                            dillyman
                            Last edited by dillyman; 15 December 2006, 01:18 PM.

Comment

My Twin rotor from ebay arrived.
                              It looks well made and has a #60 mesh polyethylene filter assembly on the bottom of the suction pipe.

The Operating Instrustions:
                              4. Caution
                              a. The pump is suitable for most low viscosity liquid such as keroscene, unleaded petrol and low viscosity oil. It becomes heavier to turn while used with high viscosity liquid, which may shorten the lide of the pump.

b. Do not use this pump for transferring any solvent or chemical which disolves rubber.

c. Do not pump any liquid containing dirt such as waste oil. Stained liquid may block the filter, prevent from discharging and damage the interior components.

So....I'll let you know how it works in some of these situations...
                              George

Comment

Working...
                              X