Pump issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump issues

My Nissan SD33 WVO conversion is currently using an electric fuel pump and struggling to get enough pressure. I've tried a facet, carter & holley and all have been poor. (as others have stated - vane pumps are no good for WVO). I want to keep the WVO & diesel fuel & filtering systems as separate as possible for reliability. I've considered using the stock lift pump for WVO and the electric pump for diesel, but have concerns with the stock LP trying to push unheated oil through a cold filter - this will appear as a dead end until the filter heater kicks in to heat the HMP oils in the filter. Will this excess strain cause me grief with the lift pump? the stock diesel filter has a return to tank so that the LP is still passing diesel when running on WVO.
    I also considered using the LP for both diesel & WVO but steered away from this option due to excess contamination on the diesel filter.
    My preference is to leave the stock LP for diesel & use some form of electric pump for WVO, but does such pump exist and can it be purchased at a reasonable cost (something in 24V would be a great help )
    MQ Patrol - WVO since 2005

Re: Pump issues

Originally posted by Mr Ute View Post
    My Nissan SD33 WVO conversion is currently using an electric fuel pump and struggling to get enough pressure. I've tried a facet, carter & holley and all have been poor. (as others have stated - vane pumps are no good for WVO). I want to keep the WVO & diesel fuel & filtering systems as separate as possible for reliability. I've considered using the stock lift pump for WVO and the electric pump for diesel, but have concerns with the stock LP trying to push unheated oil through a cold filter - this will appear as a dead end until the filter heater kicks in to heat the HMP oils in the filter. Will this excess strain cause me grief with the lift pump? the stock diesel filter has a return to tank so that the LP is still passing diesel when running on WVO.
    I also considered using the LP for both diesel & WVO but steered away from this option due to excess contamination on the diesel filter.
    My preference is to leave the stock LP for diesel & use some form of electric pump for WVO, but does such pump exist and can it be purchased at a reasonable cost (something in 24V would be a great help )
    I also have discounted using vane pumps and Mallory do not recommend even using diesel with their Georotor pumps. I have swapped the stock fuel pump to pump used cooking oil and using the Holley Blue for the biodiesel starting fuel.
    In my most recent conversion, I am using a second fuel selection valve to use the fuel pump on that 300D for either of the fuels, separately from the other fuel.

I have examined many (non EFI) fuel pumps in the last 50 years since my interest in the ICE was awakened when I inherited my mum's damaged Morris Minor and repaired it, and drive it into the ground over 3 years (another story, another time) and all of them have been a 'constant pressure' operation. The electric pumps either were of a solenoid type which pushed the diaphragm against a spring, the electronig ones which cause a metal plunger to oscillate back and forth, pumping the fuel thru the valves or vane pumps which are fitted with a pressure relief valve to release pressure if flow is low. The cam driven ones relied on the cam pushing the diaphragm against a spring. The spring supplies pressure to the fuel.

If in doubt, get a pressure gauge and monitor the pressure from the fuel pump with it connected to pump veggie.
    You could also provide another return line (to the veggie tank) to allow some flow while the starting fuel is in use.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Personally, I see no reason for two lift pumps. Either way, the pump has to pump fuel, whichever circuit it's drawing on, so why not design your system that way? I have now run 10,000km on my system, which uses the stock lift pump for both circuits, and it works just great. So far, I've not yet had a clogged filter. In fact, apart from a couple of cartridges that I pulled out just to cut them open to see what the elements were looking like, and to check they were not disintegrating (they were not), I'm only on my third cartridge!

If you are filtering your wvo to at least 5 micron before refueling, I don't think you need to be concerned about pulling cold wvo though your filter until the heater kicks in. If your filter is heated by coolant from the car's heater circuit, this heat will arrive quite quickly. Any waxes or tallows that may initially bind to the filter elements, will melt as soon as the heat arrives and passright through. The same would be possibly true for electrically heater fuel filters, althought these might not get as hot as they are usually regulated to about 40degC, or thereabouts. For this reason, I personally would not consider electrically heated fuel filters.

Last week I found out just how powerful the stock Bosch lift pump on a w123 Benz 300D is. I use 25 litre plastic marine outboard tanks for my WVO. Unfortunately, when I changed tanks, I forgot to release the breather valve on the filler cap. I drove around for two days without checking in the boot, but when I did, to load some shopping, I got a shock. The tank had completely collapsed! It must have taken some incredible suction to do that! Anyway, I thought I had destroyed it for good, but filling it with hot water, has almost restored it's shape. Then some time in the sun, with the valve closed, has allowed some pressure to build in the tank and it's almost as good as new. One thing is for sure, it tested my system for leaks!

By all means, use the the same lift pump for both diesel and wvo circuits, but keep the filters separate, or you will get very slow change-overs.
      Cheers
      Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
      1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
      1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

I can verify by "slow" we are talking grater than 1000 k's. (dont ask how I know this, but I did find it out about 5 years ago)
        cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Thanks all for you input.
          Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
          In my most recent conversion, I am using a second fuel selection valve to use the fuel pump on that 300D for either of the fuels, separately from the other fuel.
          My problem with using the stock lift pump for both fuels is that the Nissan SD engine returns the fuel to tank from the filter, not the IP. This creates a real headache trying to prevent oil contamination of the diesel filter during change over. WVO can easily turn solid in the unheated diesel filter, due to the regions that I operate the vehicle in, I'll stick with two pumps for ease of plumbing & peace of mind.
          I have swapped the stock fuel pump to pump used cooking oil and using the Holley Blue for the biodiesel starting fuel.
          I am now intending to go down this path, I assume that there is no problem using the Holley Blue for Diesel?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ute View Post
            Thanks all for you input.

My problem with using the stock lift pump for both fuels is that the Nissan SD engine returns the fuel to tank from the filter, not the IP. This creates a real headache trying to prevent oil contamination of the diesel filter during change over. WVO can easily turn solid in the unheated diesel filter, due to the regions that I operate the vehicle in, I'll stick with two pumps for ease of plumbing & peace of mind.
            Why not re-route the return straight to the tank, by-passing the filter?
            Cheers
            Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
            1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
            1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Hi Bruce, my config has no fuel return from the IP - it only has a fuel line in. The lift pump draws from the tank and then to the filter & IP. Injector bleeds are returned to the filter and all excess fuel is returned from there.

Comment

Mr Ute,
                open the connection between the injectors return line andthe filter. Block the connection to the filter and measure the amount of fuel coming from the injectors return. In my MB 300D, I found that it took 4000km to deliver 1 litre of fuel to the measuring container. I felt that this amount of fuel would not affect operation much so I left it going to the diesel tank (I could just have easily looped it or returned it to the veggie tank - if I had a return to that tank)
                By having separate filters, your purge time will be reduced significantly, over using a shared filter. By providing separate return lines, one to each tank, you can choose how to deal with the injectors return line.

The Holley Blue should be fine for pumping diesel or biodiesel. It does not like Used Cooking Oil or UCO blends with other fuels.
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi Tony,
                  Yes I did this injector return test early on before I commenced the WVO conversion. As you said next to nothing is returned from here so I have left this return going to the diesel filter. This filter is replaced at regular service intervals and it has not suffered any by leaving this connection in place.
                  I measured up the new fuel lines to swap over the Holley & stock LP, should complete in the next week or so (I had my 'other' car crunched last week so have spent a bit of time sorting that mess out ) I'll keep you posted.
                  Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                  X