diluteing WVO with methanol instead of Dino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diluteing WVO with methanol instead of Dino

so that my wvo will run through the fuel lines a little easier i always go to the servo and chuck in a bit of dinosaur diesel .About 20% in the summer and say 33% in winter As i do this with the intension of making the wvo less viscous i wonder if it would not be better to add somthing less viscous than diesel to begin with.Methanol, cost effective it sells in adelaide in 205s for around 90c ltr. OR PETROL easier But would this cause detonation etc ???????????

Re: diluteing WVO with methanol instead of Dino

Hi Dagwill, diluting with methanol is mean't to add greater efficency and improve atomisation of the fuel. I was testing this theory for a while, accept I found that the methanol would separate, evaporate or just attract water over time, causing me no end of problems.

I will come back to the experiment one day, but if you do it, let us know how it goes...... I wouldn't use any more than 10% methanol.

Regards
    Marcus

Multifuel Diesel Vehicle Conversions
    Powered by Waste Vegetable Oils
    3 Waratah Avenue
    Belgrave Vic 3160

Comment

Vegetable oil has a limited solubility in methanol and vice versa. I believe that you would have difficulty in getting any more than around 1:10 methanol: vegetable oil to blend and stay blended.

Ethanol may be a little better, but petrol diesel & kerosine are completely soluble in WVO and vice versa.

These petroleum produces are also unlikely to contain or attract any significant amount of water to the blend.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I use petrol as it's got very good "thinning power".........once mixed it stays mixed. As vege has loads of lubricity, there's no problem.

Another point re methanol is that it can dissolve some of the glue/s used in filter making.......according to a filter manufacture, who advised 10% max. And we are adding heat to the equation!

Comment

I thought the issue of petrol/methanol Vs Diesel/oil was the whole octane Vs Cetane issue. Where one was easily ignitable with a spark and the other was easily ignitable (not sure if thats the right word for oil) under compression.

I mix my oil with diesel to make it easier to start. If I didn't have to I wouldn't.

If I'm gonna drive long distances in one sitting (starting) I will fill the car up full with oil the night before and rely on the diesel oil ratio in the fuelline to get started and then not turn off the car until I have emptied the tank and brought the ration back down by filling with diesel later.

I've been doing that right through winter. I'm getting lazy at the moment.

One a brighter note. I've just got the cone made up for the bottom of my processor.
          Joe Morgan
          Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
          http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
          SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Just remember when you mix low flash point fuels with vege oil which has a high flash point, you are creating a fuel that has a much lower flashpoint than diesel or vege by itself. Vege oil and dino diesel are relatively safe fuels by themselves. Be extremely careful when doing this and consider the design of your system and your tank storage before creating potentially dangerous mixtures. For example, don't mess with such mixtures if you are using electrical fuel heaters!

Just be careful guys, we don't want any of our contributors on these forums to suddenly go missing!
            Cheers
            Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
            1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
            1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

as fill each tank with SVO i leave enough room to add 20ltr dino. the last 2 tanks i tried adding petrol. addmitadly the engine did seem slightly more responsive, but hot restarts were not as pleasant and i think there was diesel nock at low revs that was not there before. Definatly going back to thinning with dino deisel next time

Comment

Working...
              X