Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H2 Electrolysis question.

hi
    firstly sorry if this is a stupid question i havn't been doing this for to long and im not even out of high school yet.
    I have been doing some experiments with making hydrogen and there are only bubbles coming off of the negative electrode which is hydrogen. So where is the oxygen going that is suposed to be coming off of the positive electrode.
    guyinperth
    Biofuels Forum Newbie
    Last edited by guyinperth; 24 October 2006, 11:12 PM.

Re: A Question

Guy in Perth,
    Can you describe your hydrogen generator and include details like voltage and current, any "additives" to the H2O, and how you are collecting the gas.

Yes, there should be O2 and 2H2 coming from the electrodes.

Your voltage should be Direct Current, not Alternating Current.

Welcome to the forum.
    Tony From West Oz

ps,
    Your post should have been in the "Off Topic" area, as it does not fit into the Biofuels or biodiesel or WVO areas of this forum.
    I have now moved the thread to the above area. Tony
    Tony From West Oz
    Vice Chairperson of WARFA
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 24 October 2006, 11:21 PM. Reason: Added that thread had been moved
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Re: H2 Electrolysis question.

its not realy a generator its just a thing i made in about 10 mins with some stuff i found in the garage. I just drilled 2 holes in the bottom of a 1 litre drink container and put 2 steel bars through them and then sealed it with some silocen glue filled it up with water, put some salt in it and then connected a 9v battery to the steel rods but after i connect the battery only 1 rod starts making bubbles and the other doesn't.
      p.s i dont know how meany amps im pulling because i dont have an ammeter

sorry about putting this thread in the rong place i found this forum by accident through a link that took me to there
      guyinperth
      Biofuels Forum Newbie
      Last edited by guyinperth; 25 October 2006, 12:10 AM. Reason: added the amps bit

Comment

I’m no expert either or out of highschool (BTW be careful if you ignite the hydrogen) my first attempt was to use thick mechanical pencil leads and hook them up to a car battery charger, it yielded some bubbles (a 9 volt battery is too wimpy).

My next version I went to a welding store and bought a couple of carbon rods (they’re coated with copper you’ll have to strip that off with a cutter knife) get the biggest ones you can, at the bottom of each one drill a hole through it and put a wire through, then put epoxie on it to cover up the stripped part of the wire (otherwise it’ll short circuit and be way less efficient)

I used vinegar water but salt should work the same, just stick the electrodes into a big bucket of water (with vinegar) and put a bottle over each one hook it up to the car battery charger and turn it to its highest setting. You’ll be impressed by the amount of hydrogen and oxygen you can make.
        G.A.Pster
        Biofuels Forum Newbie
        Last edited by G.A.Pster; 27 December 2006, 12:50 PM.

Comment

There are many kits you can make up or buy complete for Oxy-Hydrogen injection systems. I can't vouch for any of them as I haven'y tried this alt. fuel yet. The best ones use baking soda and a variable pulsed direct current through the electrodes (PWM). Optimum electrode shape and configuration are to be determined. Hydrogen embrittlement of the combustion surfaces may be a problem but there is an oil additive to prevent this (XADO I think).
          BBB.

Comment

Does one electrode appear to be rusting?
            TroyH
            Last edited by TroyH; 17 April 2008, 08:12 PM.
            Please click below for info on how you can help the victims of spinal injury, or just spread the word.

Comment

Working...
            X