My new girlfriend, Helga the 300D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new girlfriend, Helga the 300D

Today, against my better judgment and 1 year and 2 day’s after joining this Forum, I became a real biodieseler and bought myself a Merc 300D!

Once again I must thank all who replied to my “What to look for when buying a 300D” thread a couple of weeks ago. The feedback and tips I got were invaluable in what problems to look for and to prove the validity of the information, the car I bought has nearly every problem people mentioned!

The self leveling suspension is shot, The car has multiple although not too severe rust spots and clearly leaks like a sieve, the auto tranny leaks, It has an engine oil leak and the steering is accurate to the basic four points of the compass…but not much in between.

On the upside, the engine starts easily, idles smoothly blows no smoke on start up and has little blow by. The CV’s are good, The body is pretty straight save for a scrape on the drivers door, seats are good, It has a new heavy duty battery, Central locking works…slowly, tires are decent and it has 6 months rego.
    OH, and she had half a tank of that smelly Dino Diesel stuff.

After first giving Helga an initial once over, I made my excuses, thanked the seller for their time and bundled the tribe up and headed off. Within 5Km down the road, it became clear the Mrs. was not happy with my decision ( being the expert mechanic she is of course) and to keep the peace, I rang the seller back after a discussion I realized I was not going win and arranged to come back for a test drive which I hadn’t bothered with in the first place. So won over with Helga’s mustard yellow classic appearance, and retro Vinyl upholstery, the Mrs. also strongly suggested I stop at the auto parts place on the way back to get some hose to replace what I had noticed was leaking. I don’t think I have ever bought parts for a car I didn’t even own before!

As if to totally reaffirm my severe doubts about Helga, The wayward steering and hissing of the non functioning auto leveling suspension were only outdone when it took 2 runs to get it up the owners admittedly extremely steep driveway. The skid marks I left when I hit the loud pedal a bit hard in the car I arrived in and broke the rear end loose, only served as another signal to lay even more rubber going the other way to get out of there as fast as possible.

Of course, there is a lot more to be considered when buying a used vehicle than just its mechanical and overall condition. There is also the loud whining that will be appear from the passenger seat all the way home in vehicle you arrived in and will continue to follow you all round the house and every place you go for lord knows how many years to come. I think most guys will know that fixing problems on a car is hell of a lot easier than fixing the problem when the other half is not happy. So, with very clear and unmistakable musings of my severe reservations of this car, the deal was of course done and her indoors suitably appeased. For a mere Haggled down $900 ( a whopping $100 off the asking price) Helga was a Mistake the boss wasn’t going to let me not make.

I guess I should be thankful. Last time she got a bee in her bonnet, avoiding divorce cost me $200K to buy a block of land in a location I hated. Thankfully, the cook has now forgotten that we did end up making 10K on the place after we offloaded it when she came to her senses and realized she couldn’t stand to live their either.

While as I was forewarned, Helga doesn’t quite have the tyre smoking, neck snapping acceleration of the Fireblade motorcycle I once so enjoyed (and less than half the power of that bike but 15 times the weight) I was pleasantly surprised at how well, with throttle mashed to the floor, she sailed up the hills coming out of Gosford back towards Sydney which bought a contented smile to my face…. Right up till the time she lost power and died in a rather bad spot on a corner ¾ the way up said hill.

After a small panic attack and not letting a golden opportunity to level a cutting “ I told you so” at the Mrs, I did manage to coax the wheezing Helga to the top of the hill and the safety of a side street at a breath taking 10Km/h which did nothing to diminish my relief of making it to such a far more opportune place for her to finally expire.

While looking her over on the first inspection, I did notice a dripping return fuel line which I replaced in a shopping centre car park just down the road from where I picked her up. This line and a couple of others running from the pump, appear to be of the cheap clear plastic type which shrinks and hardens when near any type of fuel or solvent. I would have replaced these as well except I bought the last 700mm of ¼” line the now closed parts place had in any type of tubing.

I did notice one of the lines coming from the filter housing to the pump had a steady stream of Bubbles going through it and being merely pushed on rather than clamped, I suspect this has compounded a probably blocked, aged looking fuel filter. It has a one of those very small inline see through filters which I noticed was also quite clogged looking.
    Rather than making a bad situation worse, I decided to abandon Helga within an hour of taking possession and vowed to return on Monday with items to set her heart racing again like fuel filters and hose’s. I’m hoping that is all the resuscitation she is going to need to make it to her new home .

I have to admit, Helga did look really elegant and majestic sitting there in the fading afternoon light parked by the side of the road where she broke down barely 10K’s from her former home as we left her to return to what will be her new home…If we can get her this far that is!

So, I’m off to a REAL impressive start with my new maiden, Helga the 300D and can only imagine what other similar wonderful experiences we will get to share. One thing is fairly certain, we are going to be spending many intimate hours alone in the shed together while I re-aquaint myself with vintage mechanical systems I have long since forgotten and not touched in at least 20 years.

For those familiar with Helga’s sisters, can anyone tell me what is involved in giving her a Kidney transplant other than screwing the new filter on and off ( and pre-filling it with fuel perhaps?) and any other possible/ common ailments I should look for?
    I read in the numerous owners and workshop manuals that came with Helga ( hopefully this is not another omen) that the fuel system should self Prime with 20 seconds of cranking. Is this correct on local models as well?
    If I also interpret the poor quality B/W pictures correctly, the thing with the round top that hangs off the injector pump is the manual primer pump that can also be used to purge the system.

Stay tuned for the adventures of Helga part 2 which will either be Titled:
    “ Helga Finally arrives at her new home”
    OR....,
    “ Helga Hits 100MPH and the bottom of a cliff off the side the Pacific Highway”

Re: My new girlfriend, Helga the 300D

hi funny ive got a 350 SL on gas called HELGA

Comment

David from the sounds of were you parked I hope she is still there when you return for her and not been towed away by a fashist RTA worker who is looking for something to do.

They HATE with a passion any praked on the side of a road. I know had a similar experiance a few years ago was not nice to get the towing fee that I didn't even want/need for leaving a car long enough to go get some parts and she was GONE

All the best.
      Dave

Comment

Hey Dave,

One thing I did give thanks for the small mercy's I recieved was that she stopped about 2KM from the freeway entrance. I was able to get her into a nice quiet back street where I am hopeful she will be safe.

I certainly considered how lucky I was for her not to stop on the freeway because that would have complicated things so much more and added the cost of having it towed as well. I took a car load of tools and things with me but a tow rope was not amoungst the provisions. Tomorrow I'll have a chain and a bar & hitch I made just in case.

When I go back and hopefully get her running again, I am going to drive back down the hill and then make sure she gets back up OK before I risk getting stranded on the freeway. Getting stuck on the hill is not ideal but certainly better than in no mans land. If it is just the fuel filter and lines and it makes it back up the hill ok, then I'll be reasonably confident to bring her back along the freeway although for once I fully intend to be the slowest car by choice on that road.

Comment

Expensive merc bits are still cheaper than a divorce, and I am glad you will get the old girl back on the road as green motoring. I suspect even taking methanol into account, you will still be using less fossil fuel than a toyota prius, so stick at it and remind yourself when you are under the car being covered in some weird oil. And when you start heading up hills, and take the foot off the gas to give the old girl an easier time, you will know you are having another "she" to look after.

When I went to purchase my 300D, which was 400ks away, getting a good description of mechanical work done etc, my 3 year old daugter asked why we were going. me "To buy a car", "a yellow car!", "no it is white", "No a yellow car". Realising I would not win, I just decided to let her see when we bought it. Well the car had no reedemable feature, the body was shot and 37 shades of white, the interior was highly worn, and the engine was as fresh as you would expect for 537,000 ks. I think the steering had many comonents made from spagetti. Indeed the mechanical work had been done, but it was the tip of the iceberg.
          From there 400ks back home, back to the internet, and start searching again. 3 weeks latter and through the newsclassifides I found one in Geelong (400ks the other direction) and near the father in law and his mechanic brother. Excelent condition, mechanically good, good interior in brown, and great paint so I got it. What colour you ask?
          Yellow. Buttery yellow. If I had listened to the three year old, I could have saved a lot.

Use the manual primer on the fuel filter, it will give the starter motor less work. Leave some of the old fuel line on the barbs, and slide over 8mm fuel hose, and fasten with a hose clamp.
          Captain Echidna
          Last edited by Captain Echidna; 29 October 2006, 10:49 PM.
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Well, What a day with Helga I have had. Spent the day with her and still never got her home.

Got hold of the filters this morning and some fuel line and taking every possible tool and spare part I could think of, I headed off to retrive her.

Changed the filters, replaced the fuel line and then Pumped and cranked for hours trying to get her to come to life. The hand pump seemed relativly ineffective so I removed the filter and manually filled it before screwing it back on. Even after all this, I cranked the ol girl till the new 150 minute Reserve capacity, 800 CCA battery was flat. She was coughning and spluttering but just wouldn't catch and keep going.

Bringing the car I went to get her in around to recharge the battery, I noticed a strange sound and noticed the pulley on the belt tentioner in the last stages of a terminal death. Didn't make it to the parts place so leaving the second car I owned on the side of the road, I set off with son in tow on a 6KM round walk to fetch another pulley. 10 Minutes to get that on then back to Helga.

Giving the battery bit of a boost managed to be enough to get her to fire up. By this stage I was thinking that changing all the fuel lines may have got air in the injector pump and there may be some ritual to purge it but browsing the workshop manual as the family sat and had lunch on our footpath picnic, made no mention of this.

After a good long time of revving and making sure she would Idle, I was much happier with the job well done. Several laps around the block of faultless running and it was time to head down the test hill and then home.
            She ran well right up till the time we sat at the lights and on the green she inched forward with all the pace of a tired snail before expiring at a not too deserted intersection. Out with the tow rope and into the carpark of the parts place previously visited.

Has anyone else ever been to a parts place for 2 seperate broken down cars in the same day?

By this time I was begining to see a pattern and in the fading evening light ( I do love daylight saving) I pulled out the jerry can of B100 I brought along and ran a piece of spare hose onto the first Filter. Helga fired up with only a few reasonable cranking cycles ( and no glow plugs) and sounded great. I withdrew the end of the pipe from the fuel momentarily and notice the fuel moving quickly through the line.

Seeing the unattached fuel pipe sitting there, I gave it a blow which met with far more resistance than I would have expected. I then tried sucking on it which was equally difficult but kept drawing on it till I good a good mouthful.... of mainly water!

A couple more good suck and spits had the same effect. Off to the supermarket for 2 bottles of metho and empty 10L of bio into her followed by some bouncing of the old girls nether regions that had some other people in the car park giving me an intreagued look followed by some confused chuckles.

Helga fired right up and after some more minutes revving and idleing, I was off on some more laps of the local streets with weaving manouvers to mix the metho and bio in the tank that any Formula 1 Driver would have been proud of, and brought more looks of amazement from the neighbours enjoying their front gardens in the twilight.

Thinking of one road where I may be able to wind the ol girl out to the breakneck speed or 80, possibly 90, I bypassed the test hill and took the straight, flat road. Once again she was sailing along till she lost power (Power being a very subjective term of course) and for the second time in an hour, expired.

As this resting place was deemed to be less than ideal, it was back into the family wagon to recce a better location. Of course a few minutes later upon our return, She fired up fairly easily and made wheezing progress to the selected side street where her truck size battery was removed for a workout with a battery charger and once again helga was left looking resplendant in the almost non existant light.

At this stage I'm thinking that I was probably priming it with gutfulls of water after the filter changes and it took a bit to flush that through and also it is likely the fuel tank is full of crap and blocking the strainer or pickup in the tank. The previous owner said she had been sitting for a long while so maybe it has had an infestation of bugs and water in that time?
            If it had of brken down on the test run I would have had no trouble convincing the Mrs. Not to buy it. Just my luck!

At this stage I am thinking 2 options...
            1. Get a 20L drum, braze a pickup and return tube to the lid, put a couple of holes in Hela's firewall and feed her from said drum sitting on passengers floorto get her home.

2. Prefered option, hire a car trailer and see if friend with V8 Landcruiser will be willing to give up his day off to tow her back for me where I can remove and clean tank in the far more favourable conditions of my own driveway.

As I am again only guessing what the problem is, I rather get the thing home and discover I am wrong rather than make another 200K round trip to discover other problems I haven't been able to keep her going long enough to find out about.

I will say that with a whopping total of 10k driving her today I am feeleng much better about her wayward handling and with a heads up from the guy at the parts place, have discovered self leveling suspention is in fact working. Seems I was just completely thrown off by the fact the thing handles like a boat. When I get her home, said parts guy is going to tell me how to get under her and wind up the self leveling for a higher but firmer ride. That's got to be a plus.

Stay tuned for the next chapter of the adventures of Helga which will be titled:
            "Helga the Lazy cow gets a 100KM piggyback Home"

Comment

David the only thing I can think is Lemon really sorry but you sure did pick it for your first car into BD use on the road!

If I wasn't busy tomorrow I would offer to tow a trailer for you just to see the old girl. But alas.

Hope you get her home safely
              Dave

Comment

Hello David,
                The Mercedes have a wire gauze screen on the fuel pick-up line in the fuel tank.
                If this screen plugs you will go nowhere.
                If you swap the fuel pick-up hose with the fuel return hose this should clean the wire gauze and get you home

Tilly
                tillyfromparadise
                Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 30 October 2006, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Hey Dave,

Despite the problems, I don't think she is a lemon in the true sense
                  Central locking and self leveling suspention works so that is a plus for these cars. With the exception on the radio that I suspect has been put there to fill the hole left by a cd player, everything on the car seems to work. When it runs it runs hard although the noticable difference between the way the car goes when the tranny is left in Drive and when I select the gears manually tells me an ajustment of the auto kickdown rods will make it much more to my prefered driving style

It's an old car and I certainly hope it turns out to be a reasonable thing and not a total lemon. As it is, I have read so many reports of people getting a load of bad fuel even in cars only weeks old which brings them in for repairs so I guess the problems I am having right now really could happen to any car. The fact it is so old probably dosen't help that it could have decades of accumulated crap in the tank but given a good clean, it's not a problem that should be any more of a concern than any other car.

The biggest job with this thing will be just going right through it and doing all those maintence jobs so I know things are as good as they can and I won't get let down by silly little things. Biggest issues I can see ATM are the steering which seems responsive enough to the left but has a significant gap from centre before it responds to the right and an engine oil and transmission leak. I'm hoping both of these things may again just be maintaince and can be fixed with a good service and replacement of the gaskets. As Long as the thing keeps going, I'm not all that worried about leaks.

At the end of the day, if the thing keeps going for the next 12 months for general running around, and I can feed it a diet of bio and SVO, I'll still be in front with it. Whether it is a 12 month or longer proposition will depend on what the mechanic says about the concerns I have with the 3 items mentioned.

Tilly,
                  Thank you for that great tip! I wish I had thought of that this afternoon but I am quite sure I would have come up with the same idea given 10-20 years to think about it

What do you think about the water in the tank and the metho?
                  Do you think the metho will allow a reasonable amount of water to blend or should I dump all the fuel to prevent damage to the pump? Would one tank of blended water be enough to kill a pump or is it more a long term thing?

Comment

Hello David,
                    I have no experience with water in the fuel tank,

With regard the Auto shifting.
                    Some Mercedes were made to start out in 2nd gear if you just put the gear shift lever into D.
                    If you want to start out in 1st gear with these cars you need to move the selector to the L position.

Tilly

Comment

I am unfamiliar with Mercs but the Daihatsu, MF135 and Kubota tractors I own like to have no 1 injector fuel line cracked during the final bleeding. This is after you get fuel to the pump. Loosen the line and you should get a pulse of fuel when you turn it over and remove any air.
                      Don't know what your priming pump is like but the one on my 20 year old Daihatsu was kaput so I replaced it with a CAV filter with a built in primer pump from BJ diesels in Dandenong.

Comment

Thanks again Tilly,
                        I was manually shifting back to first after the car seemed to be taking off in 2nd even with my foot mashed to the floor which is I why I thought the kick down may need adjustment. ( and had me wondering if the thing did indeed have a 4 speed transmission.)
                        Certainly makes a big difference starting off in 1st to 2nd gear when there isn't all that much power available to start with.

Is there a site somewhere a person can learn all about these Mercedes Intricacies??

Smokey the pump does work, just seems small in it's output but for all I know, it could be perfectly fine. I seemed to be doing a lot of pumping to try and prime the filter but then when I filled it and saw the small overflow, I realised why it would take so long. The parts guy told me not to bother prefilling the filter before I put it on but i'm glad I did and I think I will definately do that in future to save a lot of pumping and cranking.
                        I saw some of those marine bulb pumps today and I was wondering if one of those may be faster and shift more fuel?
                        May be worth a try
                        Last edited by Guest; 31 October 2006, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Hi David,

I have enjoyed your post's so far and look forward to further regular updates, sounds like so much fun I may keep my eye out for a 300D my self.

Regards
                          John H

Comment

David. I am glad you are perservering with helga, keep it up.
                            The lot of (all?) mercs will start in second gear, unless you push the accelerator (actually an incorrect word, the "move pedal") to the floor, and being a 300D, you will. From there it will shift into first.

Is there a place to learn the black art of keeping a mercedes and you sanity? Try OZBENZ forum! :: Index.

There is a screen in the tank. It can be bypassed by removing the outlet pipe (it is under the car) and puncing holes in it I belive, then use disposable filters (the cheap fuel type) to catch the crap as it flow out. Dont make the mistake of buying 1, in your situation I would get 4!

From a diesel repair shop bosch supply replacement primers that are about $20 and do a great job (they replace the original primer on the lif pump, if yours leaks, it is the original, take some mole grips, self locking pliers to remove the original one) I did try a marine bulb type fuel pump on my boat which has an inboard, with outboard tanks. The fuel bulbs ball bearings which act as valves jam themselves so they do allow fuel to flow. After a while they then release themselves, waiting for the next high fuel use situation to arise. (on the boat it would fail on the water, half an hour latter it would go, and on the trailer I could not get the fault situation to repeat. It took days to work out what was going on)

The steering may be an easy adjustment. (have I said this before?) There is an allen key and lock nut, loosen the lock nut, wind the allen key OUT to tighten (not in! out!) and do up the lock nut. Test on full lock to check for binding, the teeth in the middle wear more than the edges, so check it does not require effort to put back straight ahead.

Its a mercedes. They are never lemons, just some have more unique characteristics than others!

And John H, I own a merc and a landcruiser, They seem a good combination to have, although I started with the merc.
                            Captain Echidna
                            Last edited by Captain Echidna; 31 October 2006, 10:19 PM. Reason: change innacurate bit
                            cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

David,
                              If you start using veggie oil or biodiesel in the main tank, the years of diesel 'gunge' (technical term for black $h!t) will come away from the tank walls and deposit itself in the first filter you have in the fuel path.
                              It would be wise to ensure that you are sucking fuel from the return line, to avoid issues with the suction line screen (a plastic gauze filter located in the tank).
                              I second the idea of buying a pack of the $2.00 inline filters from the cheapest car parts place you can get them from. Add one before the inline fuel filter at the fuel pump, to ensure that your more expensive filters are protected. When you lose power, replace the cheap filter first. 9 times out of 10, this will fix the problem. If it doesn't, replace the next most expensive filter. If it still does not fix the problem then you need to change the "spin on " fuel filter.

NOTE: This filter is actually bolted on, the big nut on the filter head needs to be loosened before attempting to spin the fuel filter. It will NOT move otherwise.
                              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
                              X