A Kiwi approach to biofuels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Kiwi approach to biofuels

"In New Zealand, we have sufficient tallow, a by-product of the meat industry, which would, if converted to biodiesel, produce around 5% of our diesel fuel needs. New Zealand currently produces sufficient bioethanol from whey, a by-product of the dairy industry, to meet around 0.3% of our petrol needs. More bioethanol could be produced from whey or other waste and by-product sources.

Diversifying into these renewable transport fuels will reduce our dependence on imported oil, and improve air quality.

And of course, they will also reduce greenhouse gas emissions. If the proposed sales obligation is met, we will not need to account for over a million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions under the Kyoto Protocol, due to the replacement of fossil fuels by biofuels. This represents more than $16 million that would be saved by the Government in respect of its Kyoto Protocol commitments in the first commitment period (2008-2012) alone.

And I'd like to stress that this is a starting point. Once the legislative framework and infrastructure is in place, we can expect biofuels to make up a greater proportion of our transport fuel than these mandated minimum levels."

NZ energy minister: 'the end of cheap oil' | EnergyBulletin.net | Peak Oil News Clearinghouse
    Terry Syd
    Last edited by Terry Syd; 1 November 2006, 06:15 PM.

Re: A Kiwi approach to biofuels

Hi - Do you know when the announcements will be made regarding the future of Bio Diesel in NZ, what do you think the outcome will be for the small/med type producer. We are looking at establishing a local production plant but are holding back at this stage.

Regards
    Mike

Comment

I took a quick look at the EECA webpage and put 'Biodiesel' in the search function. EECA - Search

They are the advisors of the government, so an inquiry there might give you an idea as to where things are at. My experience with Ministerial Departments is all you get is some political fluff, so try the EECA.

Comment

Hi - Thanks for the reply - yes we are all waiting for the descisions to be made.
        No firm date yet and no progress reports on the EECA site.

There is an interesting trial going on in Christchurch with a local bus company
        here - http://www.metroinfo.org.nz/biodiesel.html

Have you local council embraced this type of use ?

What has happened previously in this situation, I read that it is illegal to manufacture
        is some states there ?

When your regulations came through what changed ?

Regards
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X