SVO/WVO and tax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVO/WVO and tax?

So, I am aware of the current Australian legistaltion regarding Biodiesel, but AFAIK this does not specifically mention SVO/WVO.

So what is the legality of running a vehicle on SVO/WVO???
    Cheers,

Ben.

Re: SVO/WVO and tax?

Hi Ben, welcome to the forums.

There is currently no tax (excise) on vegetable oil either fresh, or used cooking oil in Australia. There is specific mention of transesterified fats (biodiesel), but unmodified/reacted svo/wco burned in an engine is not currently covered by any tax laws in Oz.

Use it for free before the government decides to tax it too.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Thanks for the info Robert, that is good to know.

I once had discussions with a refinery process engineer, who was talking about the low-temperature waxing problems with conventional diesel, and how it was a lot of work and expense to remove all the wax. He said that all diesel vehicles should be made with heat exchangers in the fuel tank and heated fuel lines - which would also allow them to run SVO/WVO.
      Cheers,

Ben.

Comment

I'm sure when I researched this issue, I found that canola oil was Specifically mentioned in the fuels act, though no other seed oil or veg oil was.
        Weird... dunno if any one can verify this, I looked back throught my research files but cannot locate where I find it, will try harder..
        Axel

Comment

Anyone aware of the legal requirements in relation to the modification of the fuel system required to run WVO. We have made discreet enquiries with QLD transport and never get an answer either way as to whether it's legal or how to do it legally. I am probably going to go down the track of installing a second fuel system (possibly with the heaters) and having that modification approved and plated. It's also an interesting problem in regard to insurance being that they are all so quick to find any reason to avoid paying a claim.

Thoughts anyone ?
          Cheeky
          Last edited by Cheeky; 5 February 2006, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Bump

Anyone? ...........please

Comment

I know a guy here (NSW) who has an SVO conversion. He took his car to the RTA here to ask if there were any issues with registration due to the conversion. They basically said that they had no regulations at all covering SVO conversions. As long as the car was roadworthy, they did not care about the fuel heater and the extra tank of veggie oil.
              I suppose that in the case of LPG and CNG conversions, there is a big extra safety factor to consider, requiring special licencing of 3rd party installers/inspectors and regulations to cover the modifications. Also, LPG/CNG modifications are more common and more recognised. Hopefully the SVO conversions will become more common and more recognised in time and perhaps this will one day affect vehicle registration compliance, but for now, the SVO conversions seem well "under the radar".
              Sorry if this is not a definitive or official answer, but this is just what I've heard.
              If anyone else has any better info, please post.
              Robert.
              Site Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheeky
                Anyone aware of the legal requirements in relation to the modification of the fuel system required to run WVO. We have made discreet enquiries with QLD transport and never get an answer either way as to whether it's legal or how to do it legally. I am probably going to go down the track of installing a second fuel system (possibly with the heaters) and having that modification approved and plated. It's also an interesting problem in regard to insurance being that they are all so quick to find any reason to avoid paying a claim.

Thoughts anyone ?
                Cheeky,
                If they allow people to install long range fuel tanks, then they should allow UCO conversions. I know of 2 vehicles in WA with the appropriate endorsement on their vehicle inspection certificates. With one, the WARFA member had 5 inspectors aroud his vehicle and he answered their questions to their satisfaction, even though the fuel filler was in the boot.
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thanks for the replies Robert and Tony. I had wondered how you would get on with filler locations, mine's likely to be inside the fibreglass ute canopy.

Cheeky

Comment

Originally posted by Cheeky
                    Thanks for the replies Robert and Tony. I had wondered how you would get on with filler locations, mine's likely to be inside the fibreglass ute canopy.

Cheeky
                    You still need to comply with all ADRs for fuel tanks and filler locations, breathers, etc. In most states additional fuel tanks are a modification and need to be approved by an authorised person/engineer.

Here are the QLD guidelines.
                    http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinfo.nsf/ReferenceLookup/Modification_Jan05v2.pdf/$file/Modification_Jan05v2.pdf
                    Note they state that the filler must be outside the vehicle unless originally fitted inside by tha manufacturer.
                    isuzurover
                    Last edited by isuzurover; 14 February 2006, 02:48 AM.
                    Cheers,

Ben.

Comment

Bringing the thread back to the tax issue, my understanding is that it is illegal in Taxation Law to blend an excisable fuel and a nonexcisable fuel.

Diesel is an excisable fuel.
                      WVO is a non excisable fuel.

The rules no doubt would have come about to stop fuel station owners mixing cheaper and possibly substandard fuels to their tanks, however it also applies to vege burners who blend.

Tim
                      Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
                      12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
                      Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
                      Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
                      Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Tim,
                        You are correct, the blending of an excisable fuel and a non-excisable fuel is illegal, unless you pay an excise on the non-excisable fuel in the blend, at a rate not less than the rate for the other major costituents of the blend.
                        Blending licences are held by only a few organisations (mostly petroleum companies)
                        This means, in the letter of the law, that if you add 5% diesel fuel to Used Cooking Oil, you then need to pay excise at 38.3 c/l on the UCO part of the blend, or if you use biodiesel at 5% in UCO, then you must pay excise at 38.3 c/l on the UCO part of the blend, until 2011 and then reducing amounts until 2016 when 19.1 c/l applies.
                        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
                        X