Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tax Bill 2006 Petition?

Hi Folks,
    Would any or all of the 1100 odd people involved in this forum be interested in sending an on line petition to the Government requesting that the Fuel Tax Bill be ammended to treat Biodiesel equitably with Petro diesel ?
    Also the new C4 is nearly run in (coming up to 5000k) I will then have it dynoed on Diesel & a day or 2 later dynoed on B100 to see what the difference is & from then on running on B100 & dynoed every month (2000k) to see the results. I have been running it on various combinations of fuel & can not detect any difference in power of consumption. So the dyno thing will be interesting.......A 480km trip to Brisboring & back at an average speed of 74kph used 4.1L/100km or 24.4 km/liter, about 80 minutes (3 times @25 minutes a piece) stuck in traffic with the air con on ......The average, so far, for 4200km is average speed of 56kph using 4.5L/100km or 22.2km/liter. The average of 56kph is not that I drive like a maniac...We live in the bush.
    Last edited by Rafe; 3 November 2006, 01:57 PM. Reason: Forgot about fuel consumption

Re: Fuel Tax Bill 2006 Petition?

Hi Rafe,

Sure, I'd be happy to join in on your petition, once I can review it. Just let me know what I need to do.

Justin

Comment

Rafe,
      Please post a draft of your petition on the forum. If unsure, email it to Robert and he can host it.
      (OK by you Robert?)
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Gosh....Well...OK...I have only ever written abusive letters to politicians. So will have to give the wording of a petition some thought. All advise greatfully recieved....It could be along the lines of a "please explain" as to why Grants were handed out to build the facilities to make Biodiesel & then legislation was enacted (The 2006 Fuel Tax Bill) to eliminate the rebate for Biodiesel so that it applied exclusively to Fossil diesel....Thus putting the producers of Biodiesel in an uncompetitive situation.......Come to think of it...this may be better going to the ACCC about Government support for Monopolies.
        You see my problem here...4 or 5 lines & I'm already side tracked.....It should ask that an ammendment be made to the 2006FTB that all diesel fuel, whatever it's use & whatever it's source be treated equally as to rebates. Exise. etc..etc... That would be one petition.......& then (off in my world of dreams again) because B100 is a CO2 neutral, renewable fuel. It be treated with the due respect & further subsidised by the Government or given some advantage, carbon credit wise.

Comment

Hey, if someone else can come up with the content, I can provide the means to host it/promote it. I can add a petition component that can accept "signatures" online (probably not in this forum, as the software here is not really designed for that). If you can get a good petition written, I'll make the rest happen. Maybe a few of you could collaborate on one by posting it up here until you are all happy with it. Once you have it, I will turn it into an online petition.
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

I'll sign when its ready

Comment

Re: Petition format

Hi Folks,
              Upon researching just how to present a petition to the House of reps I find that they do not accept electronic petitions Quote;"principally because of difficulties in varifying signatures & ensuring a petition has not been altered after people have "signed" it".
              I often sign petitions through GETUP.ORG.AU so I wonder how they get around it. I suppose if each individual who wished to participate, down loaded & signed a properly formatted petition all stating the same thing & just bombarded the house with them???? Someone may see fit to take notice.
              One thing is sure. If we do nothing . Nothing will happen.
              To give you some idea of the kind of nut you are dealing with here. Below is a copy of a letter I sent to the ACCC. The ACCC can not effect government legislation.....but what the hell...I live in hope.

Dear ACCC,

My concern is the section of the 2006 Fuel Tax Bill (passed by Parliament in June 06) referring to Bio Diesel & Fuel tax credit and fuel tax grant entitlements.

This section of the bill has legislated anti-competitive conduct, in that not all manufacturers of Diesel (specifically those that produce Biodiesel) have an equal opportunity to thrive, or to conduct their businesses in a way that is in the best interests of the Australian public.

This inequity takes the form of limiting the uses for which Biodiesel (BD) tax credits/grant entitlements can be applied (No off road usage can be claimed) & the amounts that can be claimed by those eligible to do so.

For example; (one) If I were to use *Fossil Diesel (FD) in my Generator I could claim 38.143¢ per litre....but as I use BD I am not entitled to claim anything. (This is factual, as I run a generator to power my home based Screen printing business & the ATO has informed me I can not claim for Biodiesel)

(Two) If I were to use Fossil Diesel in my trucking company, I could claim 38.143¢ per litre...but if I use BD I am only entitled to claim 14.808¢ per litre (reducing to Zero, over the next 4 years).

As you can see this legislation disadvantages the producers of BD by 14.808¢ per litre & in 4 years time will be a disadvantage of 38.143¢ per litre.

If this is not anti- competitive legislation then I don't know what is. Bad for the producers. Bad for the country & bad for the Australian public. This piece of legislation does not benefit anyone. It has no redeeming features. It is grossly biased in favour of the large oil companies. It is the government interfering in private enterprise to the detriment of Australia & Australian Companies.

This effectively removes any incentive for the user to purchase a clean, CO2 neutral, renewable fuel that is 100% Australian Made from a waste product , thus being good for the economy, the atmosphere & the Australian public. It's part of the solution.

As opposed to FD which is part of the problem. Adding to an already record deficit by importing oil & sending a large slice of the profits over seas.Not to mention the pollution.

It is impossible to fathom why a clause that is so specifically detrimental to the Biodiesel industry was ever included in the bill, given their current meager production of 300,000,000 liters per year saves 825,000 Tonns of CO2 per annum. They should have been given preferential treatment, or at the very least the same equal treatment as BP, Caltex, Shell etc. etc.

If it is not your job to prevent gross breaches in anti-competitive behavior, no matter who it is, could you please direct me to whoever it is that might be able to help.

Thank you for your time

Your

Rafe Falkiner

I have suggested to 'Getup" that they take this on as a project. Who knows.
              If there is a producer of BD out there who knows the intricate ins & outs of this legislation that would like to word a petition for us ...Please do so

Meanwhile I intend to harangue various politicians with unanswerable questions about why they supported such un Australian legislation

Comment

Re:Petition draft & BAA

I sent this email to Adrian at BAA. It's self explanatory
                Hi Adrian,

I want to get up a petition that people can down load & send as individuals to the house of reps with regard to the 2006 Fuel Tax Bill & the gross inequities it causes between the producers & users of BD & the fuel Giants.
                I have looked into having multiple signature on line petitions but these are not acceptable to the house of reps. Anyway I need help with the wording so as not to cock it up. I hope BAA can help.
                My intention is to have it on the Biodiesel forum & anywhere else that will help to distribute it for individuals to fill out & send to the Speaker of the house.

Format as follows...Anything in italics is what I am unsure about. Your input please.
                ******************************************** .................................................. ..
                PETITION;

To The Honourable The Speaker and Members of The House of Representatives assembled in Parliament:

The petition of certain citizens of Australia draws the attention of the House to the 2006 Fuel Tax Bill.
                In particular the section dealing with Biodiesel that meets the diesel fuel standard & the anti- competitive treatment of Fuel Tax Credits & Fuel Tax grant entitlements for Biodiesel that meets the diesel fuel standard as opposed to Diesel.

Your petitioners therefore request the house amends the bill to treat Biodiesel that meets the diesel fuel standard & diesel on equal terms & that there be no differentiation in grants payable, tax credits or excise. for either fuel. So that they can trade on equal terms.

SIGNED; Australian Citizen
                .................................................. ..

Rafe

Comment

Petitions by email are not accepted by the house of reps

After talking to the clerk of the house of reps. No electronic petitions are accepted. All have to be in writing. If there is the slightest mistake or if any signatory of the petition is not on the electoral roll...It is scrapped. If any section of it is illegible, it is scrapped...abuse, swear words, common sense, all scrapped.....So basically I am going to get one going saying what is posted here & mail it off when I have as many signatures as I can.

Comment

Thanks Rafe. Good to see someone taking up the cause. If there are any ways I can assist (though from what you've said most electronic means are not accepted), then I'll do what I can.
                    Robert.
                    Site Admin.

Comment

Working...
                    X