Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high or low erucic oil for biodiesel?

Hello!
    I desperately need to know which rapeseed oil - high- or lowerucic presents better quality for biodiesel production itself. For this aim solely. I know that lowerucic oil is presently used worldwide regarding further food and feed applications of rapeseed plants biomass. But while food and feed usages are not taken under consideration is it the lowerucic variety still to be used?
    I would be soooo grateful for any literature refereneces.

Re: high or low erucic oil for biodiesel?

Originally posted by Shelly View Post
    Hello!
    I desperately need to know which rapeseed oil - high- or lowerucic presents better quality for biodiesel production itself. For this aim solely. I know that lowerucic oil is presently used worldwide regarding further food and feed applications of rapeseed plants biomass. But while food and feed usages are not taken under consideration is it the lowerucic variety still to be used?
    I would be soooo grateful for any literature refereneces.
    Sheley
    Here is a link that may be of some help to you
    BioMatNet Item: FAIR-CT96-1946 - Brassica carinata: The outset of a new crop for biomass and industrial non-food oil - CARINATA
    Keep in mind a farmer will be inclined to grow food crops rather than a specifc crop where his market choice will be dictated by the smaller size of it
    Cheers
    Chris
    Never give up :)

Comment

I believe that high eurissic oils tend to be better suited for industrial oils, where the low eurissic oils are preferred for food grade oils.
      I have heard of some research on the use of high Vs low eurissic oil as fuel for diesels, but cannot recall the detail of whether they made it into biodiesel or used it SVO.

I will investigate and report here.

Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Here is the reply I obtained on this subject:
        Work done by Jack Brown in USA indicated that the long chain poly-unsaturated fatty acids caused an increase in undesirable emmissions and that the mono-unsaturated fatty acids gave the best compromise. The common mono-unsaturates include Oleic (C18:1), Eicosenoic (C20:1 and Erucic (C:22:1). It is my understanding that good fuel can be made where the oil is composed mainly of these, in what ever proportion.

You may find some answers at the following link - just download the Koerbitz / ABI presentation. You might also find some other useful stuff.

greenpower conferences BiofuelsDownload

Oleic acid has a lower melting point/pour point/cold filter plugging point than Erucic acid but not by very much and it is unlikely to be be an issue in Australia.
        This is not exactly what you were after, but it indicates that there is some correlation with Oleic and Euricic acids, but these are present in Canola, and other oils, in varying degrees. It does not indicate that oil with 70% oleic and 5% euricic is any better than oil with 75% oleic and 0% euricic.
        Tony From West Oz
        Vice Chairperson of WARFA
        Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 9 November 2006, 01:39 AM. Reason: Further thoughts.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
        X