Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can WVO be stored for?

Hello fine people,

If you got a good supply of fitered WVO in drums or tins, How long can you store the oil for before using it as fuel? What will happen to it after a while? Is there anything to add to it to preserve it?

Thanks

Fitian
    Fitian
    <><

Re: How long can WVO be stored for?

Fitian,
    Why dont you have a look at the post under Making biodiesel titled WVO storage it may answer your questions
    Cheers
    Chris
    Never give up :)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      Fitian,
      Why dont you have a look at the post under Making biodiesel titled WVO storage it may answer your questions
      Hi Chris,

thanks for your reply. I read your great post and learnt some good stuff out of it. The thing is .. I do not make biodiesel, I use SVO for my 300D. I get the oil from the shops , leave it to settle then filter it and keep it in a 200 litre drum.

What do you think should be done.

Cheers,

Fitian
      Fitian
      <><

Comment

Hi Fitian

I use Chemtech Diesel Power additive in my fuel storage, to date without problems, and I have had fuel that was sitting around for 6 months.

Multifuel Diesel Vehicle Conversions
        Powered by Waste Vegetable Oils
        3 Waratah Avenue
        Belgrave Vic 3160

Comment

Hi All
          In so far as storage of oil is concerned there are a few things that one should keep in mind
          Oils have natural antioxidants in them so they will keep lot longer than animal fats
          Oxidation of oils and fats is measured by the amount of peroxides present in them, is called the Peroxide Value
          Of course it is kept within certain limits when oil is produced any increase in the initial peroxide value will indicate oxidation or breakdown of the oil
          which takes place quite suddenly
          In other words they will stay stable, then once oxidation starts it will self perpetuate however in an ever increasing rate
          The action is autocatalytic, there is no conversion period as such, you cannot say the oil will last in storage for x time before it breaks down
          But once the breakdown starts oils will oxidise very rapidly
          The whole idea is to prevent breakdown from starting and we can do something about that
          The petroleum industry has developed quite a lot of additives so as to prevent the breakdown of fuels
          That is not the case with biodiesel however since we are dealing with edible products the food industry has quite a lot of additives which will do the job for us
          Common antioxidants commonly used in the food industry to prevent the breakdown or oxidation of oils are as follows
          1.TBHQ,2.BHA,3.BHT,4.PG, they can be used on their own or in combination with citric acid which enhances their action
          1.Tert-butylhydroquinone 2. Butylated hydroxyanisol 3.Butylated hydroxytoluene 4. Propyl gallate
          These products are obtainable from the food additive suppliers, since they are used in human food they are safe,they are used in very small amounts .01-.03%
          Keep in mind that since we are dealing with WVO these additives will most likely be gone from the heating and cooling process during the useful life of the oil as well as all of the food that has been coked in there
          The addition of any of the above mentioned product in the WVO will diffinetely have the desirable result in extending storage time
          If you dont want to do that or you cant buy them, then some simple precautions will be of great value in extending storage time
          The addition of a 50-100 Grams of citric acid in a 200 L drum will do quite a bit of good
          Mix it with about a litre of warm oil until completely dissolved and add it to your drum you can buy the stuff in the supermarket
          It is also most important to keep air and moisture out of any stored oil, for that a domestic vacuum cleaner will go a long way into evacuating air space in half filled drums
          If one is to fabricate a contraption from PVC plumbing fittings so as to attach the suction hose of an old vacuum cleaner to the small bung normally found in 44 Gallon drums he can suck out all of the air within
          You leave the tap or a ball valve there and make sure the bigger bung is nice and tight, release the valve when you are ready to use the oil
          You should hear a hiss as the air re-enters the drum
          Try it out a couple of times so you can get the "feel"
          Needless to say it is best that you heat the oil up to 100 c so as to drive out any moisture out of it, unless you are collecting it while it is hot
          Cheers
          Chris

Comment

Hello Marcus,

Thanks for your advise. I only use Chemtech Diesel Power additive in the car tank but never knew that I can add it to stored fuel. I wonder how many people are doing this.

Hi Chris,

I collect the oil while it is very hot (usually from the fryer) and I guess the idea of a vacuum cleaner is easy to do. Do you agree/disagree with the idea of Chemtech Diesel Power additive introduced by Marcus?

Very good thread everyone thanks for your post

Fitian
            Fitian
            Was here
            Last edited by Fitian; 10 November 2006, 09:33 PM.
            Fitian
            <><

Comment

Fitian
              I have no personall experience with this product, Diesel Power, Sorry
              Cheers
              Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Vegiecars View Post
                Hi Fitian

I use Chemtech Diesel Power additive in my fuel storage, to date without problems, and I have had fuel that was sitting around for 6 months.
                I have stored dry, filtered veggie oil for 12 months with no noticable degradation in its suitability for my use. The high Melting Point oils settled to the bottom over winter and I only used the sparkling clean liquid oil from the top 7/8ths of the container.
                Tony
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Found this interesting old thread.

Did anyone take up any advice with regard to the chemtech product or citric acid ?.
                  Can someone update us how long you have now stored WVO for ?.
                  Neil.

Comment

Yes an interesting old thread. Thanks for bringing it up neil.
                    Are many people using the Chemtech additive in their on vehicle WVO tanks, if so, how much?
                    The oil I am filtering now has been in storage for 6 months with me and probably at least that long with the previous owner. It is 'raw' used cooking oil, containing some free water, bits of burnt food, animal fats and vegetable oil that has been heated and cooled several times. Most of the drums are completely sealed but some have a hole punched in the top. Most are full to about 2" from the top but some are only about half full. It all seems to have kept fairly well for the 6 months+, even with all the contamination and air exposure. When it is filtered (5 micron) I store it in a 1000 litre 'IBC' and there is a variable air space above, 500 litres down to 20 litres. There is not much circulation. Every few weeks I take off the top 200 litres and store it in plastic cubees which I fill to about 2" from the top and seal. There is a small air space in the full cubees. I store these until I need them (I use 100 ltres/week) and pump from the cubees through a 1 micron cartridge into the vehicle tank. I guess I am only up to about 3 months storage time with filtered oil but none of it seems to be a problem.
                    So we could say at least 6 months unfiltered and 3 months so far after filtering - no guarantees.
                    I would expect it to 'keep' better after filtering than before. We shall see.

Comment

be interested to here about the diesel power addative in WVO. I currently use it in my dino diesel and have found that there is a slightly noticeable improvement in power/acceleration as well as the engine seeming to run a little quieter and smoother. I think the dose rate is about 25ml/100L fuel so i would imagine that it would be the same for veg oil.
                      God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow,sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way <><

Comment

Did anyone take up any advice with regard to the chemtech product or citric acid ?.
                        Can someone update us how long you have now stored WVO for ?.
                        I've got oil that's been stored for more than 2 years and its fine, some has a bit of a rotting smell about it but once filtered it's fine. Funnily enough, I've noticed the longer I store my oil the more usable oil; I get. I filtered some the other day which I had previously filtered at least two years ago and it has been sitting waiting to be converted to BD as it is mostly high melt point oil. But I was surprised to find only 50% was still thick, I tried a few more and found the same thing. Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake earlier or the many changes of temperature experienced over the last couple of years has done something to the thick oil. The last week we've had temps hovering round 4 deg with a wind chill factor or about -12 and my storage shed cops the brunt of the winds, plus I noticed a bit of gelling in some oil when filtering.

So far two years storage seems fine and I have some oil which I got from a BD maker nearly 3 years ago and he had it for a long time. I've yet to check the drums that have been sitting out in the weather for the last 2 + years. I see no reason why oil shouldn't last for many years and I am building up my stock as quickly as I can because it will not be long before it become scarce, or our ability to collect is legislated away to the corporate sector. I also used anti fungal in my oil, but it doesn't seem to work at all.

Comment

Working...
                        X