CAV filter assembly info / cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAV filter assembly info / cost

Is there any particular maker of these assemblies? (given that the filters themselves are name brands, not generic) that should be avoided?

Is a CAV look a like as good as a CAV?

What is the going rate for a complete CAV unit, single filter with glass visage? local shop has them for $101

What is the going rate for the filters (marked as genuine CAV or Delphi) $60 for pack of 10?

Also, would it be better to get a spin on CAV unit (to replace toyota filter) rather then replacing toyota filter

Initially I was going to get a generic CAV to use as a pre filter but as the cost of filters appears quite low might be easier to just get a spin on unit

thanks

Geoff
    Telegraph Point NSW
    Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
    Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Re: CAV filter assembly info / cost

We have found the cheapest place to buy a CAV type filter is Whitworths Marine Stan

Comment

E-bay Au has them all the time quite cheaply. You just need to try a couple of different search terms, like "Diesel filter", "Cav" and "Delphi".
      Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

thanks, I guess I am asking what is a reasonable cost. I would rather buy them locally if the saving is not significant.

Should I go for a brand name or are the generics OK

filters and units

Geoff

Telegraph Point NSW
        Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
        Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

Hi all.
          I purchased one recently from ebay for around $50 on my doorstep. It was a single with a Delphi filter in it and a glass bottom. I didn't go for a spin on one because the OEM one was a bugger to get to to change it. (not a road side job) I have seen the spin on ones and they look great and easily installed.
          Filter prices range from $12 at Repco down to $5.40 at Tractor replacements in ACT.
          There seems to be one type of filter that looks like a white mesh in a roll inside the filter. I'm not sure but they all look exactly the same as the Delphi with different logo/print on the outside. The Repco brand has a standard paper element. Buggered if I know which one is better??
          The guy a tractor replacements said they used to be 1 micron but they were changed to 5 micron because they blocked too often??
          One problem I did have with installation was the bungs on the top used for different hose entry/exit direction. They have a fiber washer that is not good enough to seal out the air on its own. It would run but the thing was sucking air and would not get enough fuel to drive it. I put some plumbers tape on them and the problem was solved.
          Also try to get the proper hose barbs that screw into the unit. I had a bit of trouble locating these on a Saturday morning. $14 for 2 x 8mm ones from AusHose.
          Cheers, Chris
          96 Mitsubishi Delica Jasper SOLD [piece of junk]
          93 1HDT Landcruiser SOLD [still going strong]
          90 1HDT Landcruiser Current
          Combined total of 380,000kms on Bio Diesel with no problems related to bio.

Comment

I have a (Spin on one) Denco

http://www.dencodiesel.com/pdfs/adaptor.pdf

As Jasper said they are fine if you have access to the bottom of the assembly as they can be a bit of a bitch to seal correctly. I have replaced the bottom rubber washer with an O ring as I found the wash had gone a little soft, maybe caused by the Bio.
            NB: if you don't have a pusher pump the unit seals easy, however if you do have a pusher pump you need to be sure that the unit is sealed and tight.

Cost was around the $100.00 mark 2 years ago
            HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
            Canberra

Comment

Working...
            X