longetivity of engines on SVO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• longetivity of engines on SVO

Hi I run my rebuilt Turbo Triton on BD, but have been seriously thinking of changing to SVO. What I'd like to know is what is the longest time people have been running their car on SVO, in years and any problems they have come up with during this time. I understand there's lots of problems to begin with, clogging etc, but once you've sorted it out, what's the longevity of the engine on SVO. I also have a 671 GM diesel in my motor sailor which runs fine on BD, has anyone run these 2 stroke diesels on SVO or have any info on it.

We use the glycerine to make herbal soaps etc, and I'd like to know if there is any difference in operation and process, using SVO when you remove the glycerine from the oil. And would you have to set your system up differently. I suppose I'm getting lazy and a bit sick of buying methanol and aren't capable of making enough ethanol to use that instead, as I'd probably drink most of it before it got to the processor.

Re: longetivity of engines on SVO

There was a similar thread to this on the info pop site I was reading a few weeks ago. One guy there posted he had put 175,000 MILES (280,000K?) on WVO on his semi trailer with no problems what so ever

There were lots of people posting having used wvo for tens of thousands of miles.

As I understand from what I have read, the lubrication properties of SVO and bio are enormously better than those of low sulphur diesel so it would stand to reason if a WVO system is correctly set up with proper preheating of the oil, engine life should be increased.

Comment

A semi trailer doing a long haul is far more likely to last longer on SVO than an urban passenger vehicle. If the engine can get a proper warm up, then SVO will not be a problem. The problems happen with stop/start driving and short trips. Just my 2c.
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

An ex-member of the WARFA has over 200 000 veggie km in his 300TD on high Melting point oils. He is a computer engineer and visits clients in his 300TD. he lived around 60 km from his office so Veggie is a great option for him. His wife also has a 300TD with over 150 000 veggie km using the same oils.
        He drove a Big Fat Merc Bus around Australia a couple of years ago. He sourced his fuel supplies along the way.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thanks fella's, I feel a bit more confident about doing the conversion. I spent more than $5000 on getting the engine rebuilt to specifications, so I just wanted to know the longevity on SVO. I shall now proceed to change my old rust bucket Nissan ute to SVO and iron out the problems before doing the triton.

Comment

Hi Alga,

Originally posted by Alga View Post
            Hi I run my rebuilt Turbo Triton on BD, but have been seriously thinking of changing to SVO. What I'd like to know is what is the longest time people have been running their car on SVO, in years and any problems they have come up with during this time. I understand there's lots of problems to begin with, clogging etc, but once you've sorted it out, what's the longevity of the engine on SVO. I also have a 671 GM diesel in my motor sailor which runs fine on BD, has anyone run these 2 stroke diesels on SVO or have any info on it.

We use the glycerine to make herbal soaps etc, and I'd like to know if there is any difference in operation and process, using SVO when you remove the glycerine from the oil. And would you have to set your system up differently. I suppose I'm getting lazy and a bit sick of buying methanol and aren't capable of making enough ethanol to use that instead, as I'd probably drink most of it before it got to the processor.
            Just curious whether you have ever started using SVO

Comment

Hi Alga,

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise View Post
              Hi Alga,

Just curious whether you have ever started using SVO
              I was doing research on the forum this morning and I see that you first started using SVO as motor fuel in February 2007.
              You have been using SVO for just over 10 years- 1.07 decades

Comment

You can read anything you like into what someone posts and you have a tendency to do that, to everyone and then try to manipulate it to suit your warped agenda, for what reason, have no idea. To me it doesn't really matter, it's the information people give and receive here that's important, not trolls.

Just to humour myself and put others in the picture, this triton thread you spent so much time hunting for, was the first Di rotary pump engine I had. If you had looked for clarification, you may have found it. But think that was before your time here. Before the site crash, listed what engines I had that ran on vo, a cruiser and patrol, the cruiser did about 400000klms on vo and got sold 2 weeks ago when I got the 1HDT and the cruiser engine had never been touched. The flow plugs were so old, before selling it decided to put new ones in, but they had virtually welded themselves into the head. Don't know if veggie had anything to do with that, but put it back to dino to sell. Told the buyer, don't think they listened as they were so keen to buy it. The Nissan lasted a year, got rid of it because no leg room in it for me and got the triton, which turned out to be a lemon.

My first vo engine, was a fordson major diesel tractor back in 1976, which came with lots of problems as didn't understand how to do it properly and had that until about 1998. Then this century found this site, asked a lot of questions to work out the best approach to Di engines, as the word going round was you couldnt run them on vo. The boat 671gm ran on BD until was satisfied with how the triton DI engine went, then changed 671 to vo also. The cost of running and making BD for the jimmy as it used 6-8 lph depending on sea conditions was a lot of work, now it seems to runs much better and quieter on VO.

It all came about when ran into a farmer who was running his international petrol/diesel dozer on vo and at that time 1976 the year my youngest daughter was born, it was less than 10c a litre bought in 20lt drums and they threw all their oil out back then, so he had a good supply from the local town, which he happily shared. He had copper pipe rolled around the radiator top hose for heating the oil and that's what I did, local plumber who played in our band made it up for me.

That was the only engine on vo until I got the patrol and cruiser, met my old friend oily (diesel mechanic and vintage engine freak), who ran everything on vo and he set me on the right track for idi cars. Since the triton experience, every engine has ran on vo. Currently, a Massey Ferguson backhoe loader, 671GM, canter tip truck, 12ht sahara, 12ht cruiser, Isuzu powered converted bus, kuboto 4x4 tractor, lister generator and next month the 1HDT cruiser.

You can have lots of diesel engines when you use vo and have a good supply, makes live easier and cheaper. You should try it some time, living that is.
                Alga
                Last edited by Alga; 7 October 2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Hi Alga,

Originally posted by Alga View Post

Just to humour myself and put others in the picture, this triton thread you spent so much time hunting for, was the first Di rotary pump engine I had.
                  Your 93/ 94 triton turbo diesel would not be a Di engine.
                  tillyfromparadise
                  Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 11 October 2017, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X