IHZ toyota install CAV pre filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IHZ toyota install CAV pre filter

Just got a CAV filter to install as a pre-filter, I have a couple of ideas on where I will be mounting it.

Looks like I will have to make up a couple of brackets.

Before I get underway I would appreciate advice on good mounting locations that you may have used. An image is always nice (either here of to my email). Be a nuisance to make up a fancy bracket eg and then find that really all I have done is block access to the oil filter - perhaps extreme but you know what I mean

I will be leaving the standard toyota filter in place. After previous advice from here I went for the pre-filter option rather then totally replacing the toyota filter with a spin CAV type

thanks

Geoff
    Telegraph Point NSW
    Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
    Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Re: IHZ toyota install CAV pre filter

Originally posted by Geoffwin View Post
    Before I get underway I would appreciate advice on good mounting locations that you may have used.
    See: RePowerNow - Cars - Diesel Engines - Elsbett [SVO] - Installation Part 2 towards the middle of the page.

Comment

Geoff, DO NOT do it, there is sufficient pressure loss across the filters to give you issues down the track. Vane pump wear at the inlet of the injection pump for starters/possibly.

I owned a 93 1HZ and now a 98 1HDFT and can tell you to just get rid of the factory filter (its too expensive and filters at about 7 micron) and replace it with a CAV filters (you have that) and be happy. The CAV filters at about 5 micron and costs about $4 per filter in a box of 20.

I know of experiments that have been done and they showed no difference in pressure loss across a clean filter compared to factory filters. Others may say it (the CAV) will not hold as much rubbish, true but at the price replace it every month and you will still be ahead. If your going biodiesel I strongly recommend this course of action as you will soon find yourself changing the CAV more frequently that you thought. Been there done that, so has my old 93 1 HZ (I know its new owner and its run on bio for the past 4 years since I sold it, it was this dicussion on bio that sold it) My 98 did the same thing and required perhaps 20 filters over the period of three years until I was happy it would go 10000km between oil changes (its a direct injected motor and I have the oil tested) .

If I may suggest it just go the CAV, a piece of right angle for the mounting bracket and your in business. The spin on adapter is a good option it makes reverting back easier but after running it on bio I don't think you will go back.

Regards,
      Matt

PS I can get photo of both 1HZ and 1HDFT if wanted
      Matt
      Last edited by Matt; 24 November 2006, 03:33 PM. Reason: Add offer of photos
      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Thanks Jake

I have seen that particular page before as I have browsed through SVO type threads - it is a nice setup and the idea of a clamp off the original fuel filter attachment point seems reasonably straight forward

thanks

Geoff
        Telegraph Point NSW

Comment

[quote=Matt;9270]Geoff, DO NOT do it

thanks Matt

currently I am running a standard toyota filter and have been using VP at 80% canola BD (at least thats what they told me). Have done about 3000 km so far (toyota has 175,000km on clock) and have not noticed any decline in filter function or loss of power - perhaps my tank is really clean? or am I being a bit premature here?

I guess I am seeing mixed messages about using a pre filter and some of the issues you bring up - pity it is not all black and white :-) and I have no issues with just using the CAV - spin on CAV was discussed here previously as well but they were twice as many $$ so I went for the standard unit.

Happy to see your photos if you would like to send them? either here or geoffwin at gmail.com is fine.

I would like to use 100% and have 5 empty drums lined up and when thes e arrive I will take a trip to Rutherford to get a 1000 litres

thanks for the feedback

Geoff
          Telegraph Point NSW

Comment

Working...
          X