Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newby joining, advise on Vehicle choice? please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby joining, advise on Vehicle choice? please?

Hi all,
    We're currently relocating back to WA from the UK. I'm picking up bits and pieces to take back with me.
    More importantly, After flirting with the idea of SVO conversions for a long time now, I'd like to start with a 1 tank system.
    I'm getting the VOW 2DT off ebay. I'll probably install another filter after the heater before it gets sent on its merry way to the injectors.
    The big question is, what vehicle can in get in WA? Lets assume it's indirect injection (IP) rather than DI. Does that rule out all turbos? That'd be a shame.
    Toyota Hilux? Patrol? Isuzu? Are the BMW 7 series diesels available?

The other point I was considering was installing a small pump after the injectors to return the cold SVO to the Plug heater, like a purge for cold starting. You could then heat up all the oil, except the small amount in the injectors or IP.

One other question, is what makes people think that having an IP system is better than a DI system? The fuel still needs to be atomised in both systems, theres not much to stop an IP system dribbling oil and coking the pistons.

Thanks in advance.

Rowan

Re: Newby joining, advise on Vehicle choice? please?

Turbos dont necesarily mean direct injection, (unless you are talking 80 series landcruisers) indirect injection is preferable, only because it has a few advantages in being robust. Mind you if you were to bring some bits back, turbo motors for w123 mercs are a bit thin on the ground in Australia, and they are a robust engine, quite suitable for used cooking oil.
    I have not heard of BMW diesels in this country, they only seem to be petrol here. And direct injection does not mean no injector pump. diesels can be indirect and direct injection with an injector pump, newer diesels are starting to use "common rail" injectors, as with petrol cars. Common rail diesels I believe are generally on direct injection engines.
    For doing a 1 tank system, I would go for an Elsbett conversion, although they are pricey. Failing that, I would use a 2 tank system.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Re: Newby joining, advise on Vehicle choice? please?

Originally posted by Jitsukablue View Post
      Hi all,
      We're currently relocating back to WA from the UK. I'm picking up bits and pieces to take back with me.
      More importantly, After flirting with the idea of SVO conversions for a long time now, I'd like to start with a 1 tank system.
      I'm getting the VOW 2DT off ebay. I'll probably install another filter after the heater before it gets sent on its merry way to the injectors.
      The big question is, what vehicle can in get in WA? Lets assume it's indirect injection (IP) rather than DI. Does that rule out all turbos? That'd be a shame.
      Toyota Hilux? Patrol? Isuzu? Are the BMW 7 series diesels available?

The other point I was considering was installing a small pump after the injectors to return the cold SVO to the Plug heater, like a purge for cold starting. You could then heat up all the oil, except the small amount in the injectors or IP.

One other question, is what makes people think that having an IP system is better than a DI system? The fuel still needs to be atomised in both systems, theres not much to stop an IP system dribbling oil and coking the pistons.

Thanks in advance.

Rowan
      Diesels available in WA:
      • mazda Capella
      • Mazda 6 diesel
      • Citroen - new diesel models available
      • Pugeot - 405 SRDT and others - new diesel models available
      • Jaguar - neww diesel models available
      • Mercedes - 1977 - 85 300D (no turbos inported by MB), 85 - 92? 6 cyl diesel 300D. 270 ML and other diesel vehicles. Commercial diesels available
      • Holden Astra - new diesel available. '70s Gemini diesels - some still running well.
      • Toyota - Grey import Corolla LX and Corona models (~`88 - '95) Commercial and 4WD vehicles of all years.
      • Nissan - Commercial and 4WD vehicles of all years.
      • some others I have forgotten.
      • VW '80s Golf, new Tourag, Golf and Polo diesel models.

While all of the above can be located, the earlier models are harder to locate. The new vehicles ALL carry warnings against the use of >B5 (except Pugeot - B30 max)

I hope this helps,
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
      X