Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you run a diesel jeep on avtur? (the old jet-a1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you run a diesel jeep on avtur? (the old jet-a1)

Hi, im a newbie here and was wondering if you could run a an 05 diesel jeep on Avtur (the old Jet-a1)?

Re: Can you run a diesel jeep on avtur? (the old jet-a1)

Hello socialclimber
    The Quick Answer is yes, however with certain caveats.

Jet-A1 is made from the Kerosene cut when refining crude oil, the same as lighting Kerosene, #1 Fuel Oil and #1 diesel. #1 Diesel is typically only used in very cold weather because litre for litre it contains less energy than #2 Diesel. #1 Diesel is common in Canada, Alaska and Some parts of the the "Lower" 48 US States during winter months.
    An exception to this is that some bus companies in the US do use #1 Diesel year round because it is apparently more "Responsive" to RPM changes.

Before the recent Advent of Low Sulphur diesel fuels In the USA, most Kerosene type fuels typically came from the refinery as the same product and depending on what it was to be used for different additives might be added. I suspect they do the same thing in Australian Refineries but have no proof.

In the USA they actually use Jet A for domestic flights which is a kerosene fuel that has a freeze point of -40deg C instead of the -47deg C of Jet-A1. This allows the US refineries to squeeze a few more percent of Jet Fuel/Kerosene out of a barrel of Crude.

Jet-A1 will almost certainly not contain a lubricant so one would need to add a lubricant if one wanted to use it as a Diesel Motor fuel. A Canadian University did some tests with Unaddatized #1 Diesel/Kerosene (Jet-A1) and found that adding 2% biodiesel increased it's lubricity to that of high sulphur #2 Diesel.

Sulphur content also needs to be considered. As Far as I know Jet -A1 can still contain Sulphur so this is something someone who wishes to use it as a diesel fuel would need to consider if they wish to use it in a Modern Diesel with a catalytic Converter as well as the legality angle.

Tilly
    tillyfromparadise
    Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 26 November 2006, 12:14 AM.

Comment

And the slow answer is NO.

As Tilly has said, AVTUR has very low lubricating qualities. It CAN be used in a diesel engine with an INLINE Injector Pump with no problems (generally an older engine like Perkins, or an Industrial engine). It CAN be used in a diesel engine with a rotary pump for a short time (ie: in an emergency), or blended at least 50% with diesel fuel. It should NEVER be used in a common rail engine.
      Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

Hello Gunner

Jet-A1 is virtually identical to #1Diesel except for the lack of a lubricant.
        Add the lubricant (2-5% Biodiesel has been shown to work) and you have #1 diesel. #1 Diesel is widely used in many parts of the World in the colder months for all diesel engines.
        The US military is using JP-8 for all their Diesel's in Iraq. JP- 8 is Jet-A1 with three additional addetives which unfortunatly does not include a lubricant. This lack of lubricant in JP-8 has caused problems in Iraq.

Jet-A1 should be quite safe to use in any diesel engine that is suitable for operating with #1 Diesel as long as a Lubricant has been added to the fuel.
        Check your Owners Manual and see if #1/Winter Diesel is allowed to be used in your car

Tilly
        tillyfromparadise
        Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 26 November 2006, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Tilly seems to have summed it up but another use is as a winter additive if the $ are right to lower the gel point of your bio.
          I used 10% last winter and my sample jar never gelled down to 0 degrees C where as my B100 was getting gel at 4-5 degrees C. I was lucky and was given a drum of Jet A1 that was out of date.

bj4408

Comment

Tilly and or anybody else
            I have an abundant supply of Jet-A1 I have been using it now for years. The problem I have is that my 6.2L chev does not like starting on it. Any thing less than 50 50 mix it does not like to start when its hot(cold is fine). With Straight D or BD no worries at all it fires on it's second compression stroke. Any ideas would be grateful
            Thanks
            Hoops
            Hoops
            Biofuels Forum Newbie
            Last edited by Hoops; 21 December 2006, 06:47 PM. Reason: to change first line

Comment

Working...
            X