Best In-line Electric / Coolant Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best In-line Electric / Coolant Heater

Interested to know your opinions re what you think is the best electric /coolant heaters....

Glenn

Re: Best In-line Electric / Coolant Heater

The term 'best' is a very subjective one.
    If you had said the fastest heating or the most efficient, then an objective discussion could take place, based on these non-subjective terms.

I believe that the most effective, most efficient veggie oil hearting device is a flat plate heat exchanger (FPHE), using coolant to heat the veggie oil, sized to provide veggie oil temperatures of within 10°C of coolant temperature at maximum fuel usage.

I believe that the fastest operating heating device for heating small amounts of veggie oil, when the engine is cold, is a Glow Plug heating device. This type of heater can use significant electrical power. The use of this system for cold starting on vegetable oil can result in severe injector face and piston, top ring land coking.

I believe that if your wish is to preheat the injector (metal) fuel lines prior to cold starting the engine on vegetable oil, you are asking for coking of the injector faces and possibly on the piston, top ring land, especially in earlier direct injected diesel engines.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
      The term 'best' is a very subjective one.

OK!

What is everyone using and are you happy with it?

Glenn
      Sputnick
      Last edited by Sputnick; 30 November 2006, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Hi,
        I am using coolant heat exchangers and I start the car on Biodiesel. By the time I put my daughter in the car and drive for 1 km the oil is hot enough to change over to vegy. In my opinion it is safer and I am happy with it. I do not heat the tank too.

Regards,

Fitian
        Fitian
        <><

Comment

Working...
        X