Can SVO modifications be made easier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can SVO modifications be made easier?

SVO is currently requiring major engine modifications though its is apparent that fewer could be required. Can injectors and glow plugs be replaced easily in most models and is there a way to overcome heating the svo for example adding a minor solvent the way normal diesel is winterized. How is it that single tank SVO kits exist in some models and not others. And what about emissions testing are the SVO emissions safe or comparable to biodiesel?
    Robert
    Administrator
    Last edited by Robert; 8 February 2006, 09:54 PM.

Re: Can SVO modifications be made easier?

Originally posted by liquidgold
    Can injectors and glow plugs be replaced easily in most models and is there a way to overcome heating the svo for example adding a minor solvent the way normal diesel is winterized. How is it that single tank SVO kits exist in some models and not others. And what about emissions testing are the SVO emissions safe or comparable to biodiesel?
    Changing injectors or injector pumps to other models is a very difficult proposition. Engines are designed in conjunction with a pump/injector manufacturer - and they are calibrated specifically for a certain engine.

It would be far easier (and MUCH cheaper) to change vehicles if you want to run SVO than to change pumps or injectors.

The reason why some are suitable and some are not comes down to how they operate, how large the tolerances are, and other similar factors.

Personally I wouldn't run a single tank SVO system (on any vehicle) unless it had some sort of pre-heater to get everything warm before you start the car.
    Cheers,

Ben.

Comment

Liquidgold,

I am slightly confused by your proposition that running your diesel car/truck on SVO requires major engine modifications.

The only modifications that are required is the installation of an auxillary tank for the vegie oil and the appropriate heating devices in order to heat the oil, so it will happily pass through the fuel pump and into the injectors.

Surely, it is far more straight forward to pursue the simple twin tank approach instead of the single tank approach.

Is there any particular reason why you don't favour the twin tank method?

Jason
      Sunnysideup
      Last edited by Sunnysideup; 12 February 2006, 12:58 AM.
      1977 240D Twin Tank

Comment

Hi Jase,
        You maybe might be getting slightly confused with simple in general terms and simple to you and me. Remeber a two tank system is not simple it requires dedicated switching at startup and a few minutes prior to shutdown. A single tank system does not require this and further you said happily run through the pump. SVO installation shops advise that you install a new pump.

And I'm not convinced that the heating you are applying to SVO will get to the proper fuel quality that is required, even with a two tank system when applied to any diesel car in general.

For a particular model car an SVO conversion could also be termed easier that the normal conversion that would be required for any diesel car in general.
        liquidgold
        Last edited by liquidgold; 12 February 2006, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Hi Liquidgold,

As a person without much of a budget, an old secondhand Merc, and a desire to run cheap and environmental the do it yourself twin tank option was the only one open for me.

Now, if my car was newer and more expensive and technologically advanced and my budget was more extensive then I would agree with the single tank option.

You have to agree though that it is such a relatively new field of exploration that no one can say with any certainty which is the best way to go.

All methods are valid in such a 'new frontier' industry.

I still believe, the twin tank method is very simple and straight forward requiring not much technical knowledge or money, and yes you need to start and turn off on diesel or biodiesel, but ..so what. A small inconvenience. It encoourages a conscious driver.

All the best.

Jason
          1977 240D Twin Tank

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnysideup
            I still believe, the twin tank method is very simple and straight forward requiring not much technical knowledge or money, and yes you need to start and turn off on diesel or biodiesel, but ..so what. A small inconvenience. It encoourages a conscious driver.
            I couldn't agree more.

For those people too lazy to change tanks themselves, surely an automatic system could be installed - a bit similar to a turbotimer. Basically just an electronic timer/thermometer that can send a signal to a solenoid valve.

After you start the engine it switches over once a specified engine (or heat exchanger) temperature has been reached, then when you turn off the car it keeps the engine running (like a turbotimer does), and switches back to the diesel/biodiesel tank, and eventually shuts off.
            Cheers,

Ben.

Comment

A guy I know in California has thermostat switches for SVO. He bought a lot of them and they are cheap. around $10. Works like the above mentioned turbo timer. His car switches on and off SVO by itself. His email is:

sjordan@telesouth1.com

Comment

Thank you GUB,

You wouldn't know his first name would you?

Just to make the email sound less formal if I contact him.

Thanks again

Jason
                1977 240D Twin Tank

Comment

love 2 tank syst. done over 80k in my old 1984 landcruiser on svo.it was pretty easy to install. used a plasic jerry can for my start up tank ,a couple of soleniods from the wrecker off a LPG syst.[be sure to take small filter out of svo solenoid] The most complicated thing i did was to replace the fule line between the lift pump and filter with a copper pipe inside a copper pipe plus reducers & tees to make a heat exchange useing coolant. It all works like a treat. Although during the first winter there was a couple of times when i got up on a frosty morning to realise id forgotten to change to dino befor shutdown. bleed, bleed, bleed, lots of steaming hot water poured over injectors & pump etc. You find you only have to go through that a couple of times and you soon smarten up. i now have designated landmarks to and from home in all directions as switching markers Once your in the habit you just do it. also to cut down on any polimer build up i always add a bit of dino say 20% in summer 30% in winter so if i do forget it makes start up pretty hard but not impossible. i added a push button glow plug overide switch for just sutch an occasion
                  dagwill
                  Last edited by dagwill; 16 August 2006, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Hey dagwill,

I can totally relate to forgetting to switch over and becoming wiser each time you don't give quite enough time to clear the lines.

Your copper piping sounds interesting. I haven't heard of anybody placing it after the lift pump before. My only concern with this is that if you happen to be running just on diesel because say the trip is a short one and you haven't got time to heat up fully then clear the lines, then your diesel might be getting hot. Now I am not sure technically how much of a problem this might be but I have heard mention of this as a potential concern. I assume most of your trips are such that this isn't an issue.

Regards,

Jason
                    1977 240D Twin Tank

Comment

I heat my oil just before the injector pump. It is good because the injector pump is not suddenly fed hot oil, and is "pre warmed" but is bad because diesel does not lubricate as well when hot. I use a blend of diesel/ veg oi as my start up fuel, which helps keep the lubricity up (and per barrel prices of crude down) I have a tap to turn of the heat if running on diesel for long stretches (which I avoid of course) and have an in line fuel pump, which is lubricated by engine oil, not fuel oil.
                      For some injector pumps (rotary for instance) it is not a good idea I believe.
                      cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Hi!

I am a newcomer at this forum and I will like to get more knowledge about SVO and WCO. I bought an old Mercedes, a 300D W124 and since I bought it I use SVO and WCO most of the time. I didn't do any improvement jet and recently I bought a pre heater device from the ebay (eBay: Eintanksystem VECAR Umrüstanlage 12 V PÖL Pflanzenöl (item 280104961608 end time Apr-18-07 03:15:00 PDT)) now I am thinking how to install it can anyone give me a hand on this matter?

Thanks

Comment

I recommend you check out this forum.

Biodiesel & SVO Forums - Powered by eve community

Plenty of information there.

Regards,

Jason
                          1977 240D Twin Tank

Comment

Working...
                          X