Vehicle Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Data

Hi All - In response to Robert's thread requesting vehicle data and feedback, here's mine.

I have been running 100% BD in the following two vehicles for in excess of 40,000 miles.

1. 2000 model Ford Transit 2.5 Di non turbo. This vehicle has covered 120,000 miles in total, the last 40,000 miles on 100% BD. The vehicle runs great, no perceivable loss of power and a smooth idle. In winter I add 1000:1 'Wax Breaker Gold' and have never had any starting problems, although winters here in southern England have been mild in recent years, rarley dipping below zero. At 120,000 miles and after 20,000 miles on 100% BD, the Bosch diesel pump blew a seal; whether this was BD related or just coincidence I can't say but the guy who re-built the pump said that in every other respect the pump was in near perfect condition. The pump was re-built using Viton seals and has given me no further problems in the last 20,000 miles.

2. 1996 LDV Convoy using 2.5 Peugeot EN engine - Non Turbo. This vehicle has also covered around 40,000 miles on 100% BD. It doesn't like 100% BD as much as my Ford Transit but runs OK. Under heavy load I get a slight diesel 'knock' and the engine idle quality is poorer than with mineral diesel. Whether the aforementioned symptoms are because the engine is of the indirect injection type or whether it's the Lucas CAV pump (which I heard doesn't like anything other than mineral diesel), I couldn't say; but the mileage covered has been trouble free and unlike my Ford, the Lucas pump hasn't blown a seal......yet! I have been told that experimenting with the pump timing might improve the idle and overall performance but I haven't bothered yet, and as I will be replacing the vehicle next year I probably won't bother.

Ian
Working...
X