Dark Sunflower Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Sunflower Oil

Hi can anyone give sugestions wether some oil iv got is any good.
    its sunflower oil its not black but it is very dark i also have some frytol about same as sunflower oil pretty dark.things iv read say try to get as good a quolity as possible and when oil is too busnt dont use but im unsure wether this stuff is burnt or just used a lot.
    any help will be very apreciated
    SHORTMAN

Re: Looking for Biodiesel People in Adelaide

Is your oil filtered of impurities? Also try heating a sample of your oil to 100 degrees if its starts bubbling thats the water in it you don't want that there. It will stop bubbling when all the water is gone, settling will also separate the water but this takes time. Could be rancid oil this means its decomposing still should be okay, not for eating though, and as a result your Biodiesel may produce dangerous emissions whether the Australian spec pics this up or not, though if you do it as a once off and avoid rancid oil you should be ok.

Last of all is it 100% veg oil measure the specific gravity to find this out.
    liquidgold
    Last edited by liquidgold; 11 February 2006, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Hi i do pre filter oil before i put it into my processer using comercial oil filters.i was finaly able to do tiltration on the fry tol any sunflower oil today frytol results wer 7.5 ml plus base and oil was 3.75ml plus base.i dont think i will use the frytol but i will give the oil a go.can someone cleare some thing up for me,is the base 3.5 or 5grams i thought it was 3.5 but have since read its 5 ??? thank you for your help

Comment

Tests show the base should be 5g NaOH

Tilly

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise
          Tests show the base should be 5g NaOH

Tilly
          Is that base of 3 grams + titration 2 gr = 5 gr

or base of 5 grams + titration = 0.

Joe
          Last edited by joe; 13 February 2006, 12:22 PM.
          Joe Morgan
          Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
          http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
          SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Re: Dark Sunflower Oil

Base of 5 plus titration. The old standard of base 3.5 plus titration did not give as good of results as the base of 5. You get a more reliable and better conversion with the 5 gram base.

Comment

hi im a bit confused iv read that any more than 8 grams of naoH per litre will make soap from .01% water in oil but in tiltration if your results are higher than 4 ml oil isnt too good my oil came in at 3.5 so thats 8.5 grams per litre oil.will this not give me a good result or is this ammount ok?im curently geting good results with animal fat that tiltrates at 2.5ml.your help with this is very apreciated
              SHORT MAN

Comment

Hi short man,
                I use Joshua tickells recipe of 3.5g per litre plus titration i usually end up putting between 6 and 7g of naoh sodium hydroxide per litre of oil.
                Have not yet made soap have also tried 1g higher and lower in mini batches, had no difference what so ever.
                Always get 2 very seperate layers one glycerin 1 bd.
                Just give it a go and see what happens, it would be a nice world if we could all get good quality used oil all of the time, but i cant seem to get it any of the time. So my batches often look different to each other. Dont know if i am doing it all perfect but it seems to work fine.
                I also have to mix in animal fat and it goes opaque when cool but put abit of heat into it and hey presto clear as a whistle not pale gold but clear any way.
                I Do not wash my bd either.
                The reason why i use tickells recipe is that he has credentials and travels the globe doing talks on Bd manufacture and if his recipe did not work then i am sure by now his name would be mud.

Comment

Hello Reg,
                  I am not sure what credentials Joshua Tickles has, although I have noticed that he has written very nice things about himself. His book is apparently vastly out of date and contains about as much inaccurate information as Keith Addison's website .
                  Josh's name seems to be mud in most of the home-brew world and I doubt that he gives talks to anyone who actually understands biodiesel production. (He may be chasing the dollar too hard)

The very respected biodiesel chemist "Neutral" in Perth (PhD) has performed GC tests which shows that if you are using 200ml methanol per litre WVO, it requires 5g+ titration NaOH to produce ASTM conversion biodiesel.
                  3.5g Does not.
                  My viscosity tests agrees with.

If you use less than 200ml methanol per litre WVO you will not produce ASTM conversion biodiesel and you might as well also cut back on the NaOH.
                  It just depends on how high a conversion fuel you wish to make as to how much chemicals to use.
                  I used to use 8% methanol for my summer fuel and 5g NaOH without bothering to titrate. A very low conversion fuel.

Tilly
                  tillyfromparadise
                  Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 27 February 2006, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X