Peugeot 307 XSE HDi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peugeot 307 XSE HDi

I have a Peugeot 307 XSE HDi turbocharged intercooled 2 litre hatchback. It is less than 12 months old & has only 16000 k's on the clock & I am interested in running it on locally produced bio diesel which I believe to be of very high quality. The plant is licenced by both the ATO & the DEH & the fuel has been filtered down to 1 micron.
    Has any other Peugeot diesel owner tried biodiesel & what are your thoughts?

Re: Peugeot 307 XSE HDi

No worries there Howard. There are heaps of similar questions already posted in this forum, but the most recent one was only posted yesterday. That should answer your question. The easy answer is "go for it" your Peugeot will run well on good quality biodiesel.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Howard, specifically your 307 XSE HDI, my '04 307 XSE HDI is running B100 and has done since day dot. 40,000 km later all I have had is one prematurely blocked fuel filter necause I do not filter. No real problemns otherwise and I know of one other car the same as yours doing the same. Car mechanic was reported as saying he did not know of any other 307 HDi that ran as well as this one, its take off from stopped was what impressed him too. Go figure.

If your fuel is as good as you say use it with little fear, check its nice and clear and watch cold weather. I notoce you live in a warm climate, have little no fear then.

Matt

May I also say do not pamper it, they have quite substantial oil rings on them and require good hard loaded running to bed in. Put in the family and go up a hard hill, let the throttle off at the top and the engine will decelrate bringing oil up under the rings due to negative pressures, good for it as reported to me by a peugeot mechanic who has worke on pugs for about 20 years.
      Matt
      Last edited by Matt; 15 December 2006, 11:09 AM. Reason: Added things about running in
      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Matt & Robert, thanks for your quick replies. The local manufacturer of the biodiesel I intend to try adds an additive from May to Sept that takes the freezing point down to -5C , or thereabouts so Mackay winters wont be a problem.
        One further question, as biodiesel has a higher cetane rating than petrodiesel, have either of you any suggestions re injection timing? I know the 307 is electronically controlled so I wont be able to advance or retard the injection pump but might have to invest in a new computer chip. My main concern is raising the compression ratio to the point where damage might be done.

Comment

Howrad, the cetane rating relates to the fuels ability to withstand compression ignition. Your compression ratio is fixed and the timing should be looked after by the car.

In respect to timing it all realates to how biodiesel ignites and burns, since petro diesel is lower cetane it burns quicker so if its injected well before TDC (top dead centre) then it will burn immediately, biodiesel would have a delay before it ignites (at or about top dead centre hence they say biodiesel changes your timing. Not correct really but half true. Biodiesel also burns more completely and continues to burn through the power stroke, hence smoother car less rattle.

My friend has the same model as yours and it runs fine on home made fuel, your commercial fuel should be no problems.

Keep all receipts and then you can tell them where all your fuel came from and hence prove how any possible damage may have occured. I fully anticipate there will be none. The sooner you do run it on bio the better.

Matt
          Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

I am keen to run my 307 HDI on bio as well, getting the supply is the issue, local servo (often discussed in here - the brand) does not fill me with confidence.

The Official stance from Peugeot is still 30% bio, local dealer gave me the piece of paper (again) last week

Geoff
            Telegraph Point NSW
            Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
            Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

Geoffwin it would be great if you could scan that paper you got from your dealer and post it up so that we could all see it and heap some praise their way as showing at least some interest in Bio-diesel. If you need help doing it just give us a shout and we will try and help you.
              Dave

Comment

Hi Dave

It is only the info from the Peugeot site. I asked about where the dealer stood in relation to BD and they sought the response. While they took a bit of time and seemed interested I don't think it was anything other then good CS.

Happy to find it and post if people want - hope the filing cabinet wasn't round
                Telegraph Point NSW
                Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
                Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

Working...
                X