Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Transit TD into a Ford Falcon

Hi All,

I'd like to investigate the possibility of putting a 2.5->2.7L TD from a Ford transit van into a Ford Falcon.

So far I haven't been able to find any information out there about doing this and anticipate that it would be a large job. However, since I'm happy with the functionality of a Falcon Stationwagon or a UTE, I'd love to have one with a medium capacity TD engine running BD.
    I expect that an engineers certificate will be required but that is not such a big issue since the performance will not be dramatically increased ie brakes etc will stay as is.

Anyone make a suggestion where would be a good place to source a suitable drivetrain from a Transit van ?

Anyone know of something similar being done ?

Re: Ford Transit TD into a Ford Falcon

I put a gemini diesel into a petrol gemini. (I also put a twin cam turbo motor into a corona to make a "sleeper")

My thoughts would be that the engine/ gearbox would be the easy bits. The hard bits will be the smaller items, such as glow plug timers, and whatever the hell went onto the end of that cable...... Which brings me to my suggestion.

Buy a whole transit as a wreck (so long as the bits you are after havent been damaged) That way you will get the wiring loom (which you can unsplice to get the good bits from) all conectors, plugs, relays, transmission and front bit of the tailshaft, (which you can have welded onto the falcon one) and if you make careful notes before you start hacking, you will also know how it all connects together, although how you get it to connect into the falcon is another problem (ignition switches will require some working out.)

Some other options could include V8 turbodiesel statesman (about a WB vintage?) or a cressida with a hilux/ hiace diesel (or a 4.2 turbo from a landcruiser is you were motivated to change the worlds opinions about diesels and power ) although I belive an import "chaser" is one of these.

Probably an engineers certificate would be required, but for things like engine mounts, not checking the car is stable under full throttle aceleration.

Gearsticks would also be a problem, even if it came through the right hole, a transit one is about 4 foot long, and likely to hit on the dome interior light!

Or you could get a 300D mercedes and make it a ute......
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Working...
    X