This, That And The Other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This, That And The Other

First of all, I would like to wish ALL Bio Fuel Forums users a VERY, albeit a little belated, Merry Christmas and a Happy block free fuel system New Year.

Second I would appreciate some feedback on single tank unmodified engine use of SVO or WVO. I recently met a local olive grower who told me of his success using straight olive oil in a 1988 Toyota something which had absolutely no modfication to the engine. He had a batch of olive oil which was "suspect" as far as cooking was concerned, so he experimented with it in his Toyota. He started with 10% olive oil and gradually increased it to 100%. He said he had no trouble starting and the engine had more "zip" than with ordinary diesel. We both live in The Bay of Islands, which is at the top end of the North island of new Zealand, so the climate is very mild.

I have a Ssang Yong Musso which hs a conversion unit on it and Iuse WVO which I collect from 2 local chippies. I have designed and help build my own filtration system which cleans the oil down to 1 micron. I am looking to "convert" 2 Toyota small passenger vehicles and become the first tour operator in all New Zealand to run on WVO. My question is, what is the view of those who know much more than I do, about just putting my nice clean WVO straight into the Toyotas, bearing in mind the success of the olive oil grower. Replies, comments and suggestions wil be greatly appreciated.

I would now like to share, what I hope will be, a helpful tip about filters. I have 2 "in line" filters in my little home built system, a 10 micron and a 1 micron. The filters started to get "clogged" and so I alled the supplier to find out if I could clean them. The reply was basically "no," you need to get new ones. I decided to take a look at them and there was a lot of tallow in them-I had been cold filtering. I had an idea which was what would happen if I put the filters in hot oil? It was very interesting,the tallow melted adn the filters were just about as good as new. When I first built my little system, all the oil was filtered cold and it was OH SO SLOW. I then took the plunge and bought a "drum heater." The difference was incredible. When I pump/filter the oil cold, it takes alost 10 minutes to fill a 3 litre milk carton, when the oil is pumped/filtered warm, the same 3 litre milk carton fills in a MINUTE and just a few seconds! AMAZING. I hope those of you who cold filter may find my experiments of interest and worth a try.

Well I guess that is my last contribution for 2006. I find BioFuels forum a great source populated by great people. Keep up the good work guys
    Kindest regards
    Geoff. Waterhouse
    P.S. You might like to check out my website, Paihia Transport, Airport Shuttle Service, Eco-Tours around the Bay of Islands and also Opua-on-line, Community, South Pacific Sailing Centre, Home page to see where I am
    otherside532
    Last edited by otherside532; 26 December 2006, 10:44 AM. Reason: Problem with URL

Re: This, That And The Other

Given my experience over the years of running hiaces, it does seem hard to believe that 100% oil could be used without mods.

So, what could be different? Well....
    1/ The olive oil could be significantly thinner to start with...???
    2/ He didn't run it long enough for problems to surface?
    3/ His mixture would have zero fat!!!

Compare that to my current set up in my hiace vanola.....
    Used to have to decoke the injectors monthly!!....now with 30% diesel blend in the canola, so far so good, Though it's a bit early to get real excited just yet. Actually I use 1 third diesel to 2 thirds vege because its easier to calibrate the ratio....so that's 33% diesel in fact.
    When fully warmed up, it records injector line temps of 80 -110C.

I use 10 mic and 1 mic filters too.....mine are filter socks..... cleanable ones. Really, it's fat that is the main problem. This type I can scoop the fat out, turn them inside out or even launder them. They are around 6 bucks each. One is in an inline housing while others are open. Also I often run 1 sock inside the another....a sort of double filtration in a single pass.

I hope my ramblings are food for thought.

Best wishes for new year.

Comment

Originally posted by otherside532 View Post
      I have designed and help build my own filtration system which cleans the oil down to 1 micron.

I have 2 "in line" filters in my little home built system, a 10 micron and a 1 micron.
      What type of filters do you have? I have heard that hot oil can melt the glues in some filters.
      Are they gravity fed or pumped?
      George

Comment

Originally posted by tbird650 View Post
        Given my experience over the years of running hiaces, it does seem hard to believe that 100% oil could be used without mods.

So, what could be different? Well....
        1/ The olive oil could be significantly thinner to start with...???
        2/ He didn't run it long enough for problems to surface?
        3/ His mixture would have zero fat!!!

Compare that to my current set up in my hiace vanola.....
        Used to have to decoke the injectors monthly!!....now with 30% diesel blend in the canola, so far so good, Though it's a bit early to get real excited just yet. Actually I use 1 third diesel to 2 thirds vege because its easier to calibrate the ratio....so that's 33% diesel in fact.
        When fully warmed up, it records injector line temps of 80 -110C.

I use 10 mic and 1 mic filters too.....mine are filter socks..... cleanable ones. Really, it's fat that is the main problem. This type I can scoop the fat out, turn them inside out or even launder them. They are around 6 bucks each. One is in an inline housing while others are open. Also I often run 1 sock inside the another....a sort of double filtration in a single pass.

I hope my ramblings are food for thought.

Best wishes for new year.

Thanks for your reply tbird650. Are you in Hamilton? I think we have communicated before.
        Is your system 1 or 2 tanks? I am wondering if you have a single tak since you use a 1/3-2/3 combination. If you do have a single tank and the 1/3-2/3 works well for you, and presumably with no conversion kit, just the original unmodified engine, then it should work for me. My Toyotas are both Hiaces, one is just the "ZL" long wheelbase and the other is the "ZX" extra long wheelbase.
        As far as your 1-3 comments are concrned, you may well be right about 1&3, 2 I don't know as I don't know how long he ran it on olive oil before he sold it. I will ask him. I will also ask my chemist contact about the fat and the viscosity.
        Is "fate" the same as "tallow?" The oil that I get is predominantly cottonseed and my suppliers change their oil every few days, so it is good. The interesting thing to me is that the "tallow" burns fine along wit the oil and it doesn't solidify. I have taken numerous samples, put them in various sized jars and just left them. The "tallow" stuff settles to the bottom but doesn't seem to go solid. When I shake them, they remind me of those little globe type things which contain imitation snow. The tallow mixes with the oil and it becomes cloudy, then the tallow settles to the bottom like the snow flakes in the globes. I know that thee tallow burns because I have,on ocasion, run out of "veggie fuel" and can see the bottom of the tank.

My filters are both in "in line filter housings." I tend to get a bit messy in my "refinings!"

I think you and i have actually chatted on the phone, do you recall that? If we haven't, I would like to talk to you sometime. You can send me your phone number by personal message if you want.

Thanks again and all the best for 2007

Comment

Originally posted by gwalker View Post
          What type of filters do you have? I have heard that hot oil can melt the glues in some filters.
          Are they gravity fed or pumped?
          George

Hello George,
          Thanks for your reply.
          My filters are actually water filters made by Pentek Filtration. I got them from a firm in Auckland, I assume they are available in Australia The 10 micron is pleated paper and the 1 micron is polyspun polypropylene. They are supposed to be good for temperatures up to 45C. I have a Panther 56 electric pump.

Hope that helps
          Kind regards
          Geoff

Comment

Is your system 1 or 2 tanks?
            Mine is a two tank system and to date it's the minimum spec I can run without the need for de-coking the injectors monthly. It's certainly modified as I have 3 heater devices to bring the injector line temp to 80C+ and have various plumbing allowing switching between tanks as well as the return line.

Geoff, I will send message re contact details.

Comment

Originally posted by otherside532 View Post
              Hello George,
              Thanks for your reply.
              My filters are actually water filters made by Pentek Filtration. I got them from a firm in Auckland, I assume they are available in Australia The 10 micron is pleated paper and the 1 micron is polyspun polypropylene. They are supposed to be good for temperatures up to 45C. I have a Panther 56 electric pump.

Hope that helps
              Kind regards
              Geoff
              Geoff, thanks. I'll check them out.
              George

Comment

Working...
              X