Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructing a cheap plant and pumps

Hi all,

I am working on a biodiesel project in Cambodia. I am working with an Australian based NGO.

I am building a small pilot plant with the aim to supply biodiesel to run an small universities diesel generators.

The Uni provides free education for all rural Cambodians, who would normally not get access to any education. Currently the entire uni is powered by two diesel generators, which provide limited power during the day, and no power past 8pm. Things are tough at the uni, and this project aims to generate a little more income for them, and also allow for the use of electricity for fans, lights and computers all day long.

I need some help in building a very cheap plant. My problems are limited resources, so it has to be a basic plant.

If anyone can forward me specs, and even better pictures of plants they have put together, in a manner that could help me contruct one, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Another problem I am having is trying to buy a centrifuge pump and gear pump. I just cant seem to explain the difference to people here. Im sure both are available, but with the language barrier, and me not really knowing the difference myself, its really hard.
    Could anyone please provide photos of these two different types of pumps so I can clearly show the sellers what the difference is.

Again ANY help that members of this board can provide wil be GREATLY appreciated.

Please forward responses to

biodiesel_cambodia@yahoo.com.au

thank you in advance for any help that you can give!

Re: Constructing a cheap plant and pumps

Nice project.

What sort of size plant are you trying to build?

A centrifuge is not a part of most cheap plants ... what sort of plant are you building? What process are you planning to use?

What steps in the process are you using - well planning to use - the centrifuge for?

There are many centrifuges of various capacities and types that you can see on the web - just google it.

Ciao for now
    Andrew.

Comment

G'day,
      Maybe when you refer to a "centrifuge pump" in comparison to a "gear pump" you are actually referring to a "centrifugal pump" not a "centrifuge".

Try looking up "pump tutorial" on google and you should find some simple explanations
      ..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Comment

Hi Dave ,, great to see your still pushing for this project. Have you researched supply of KoH.? What price do the Cambodian's pay for Methanol and have you researched supply of that??
        Is Water supply an issue?
        Keep me posted with this brilliant project. I still cant believe Cambodia's energy is diesel driven. But hey, our (AUS) centralized coal infrastucture is no way better.
        Cheers Darren.

Comment

Hey guys,
          Thanks for the responses.

Vivid Adventures, Something that can produce 200 litre batches. Im planning on using 44gallon drums for the heating of the oil, and also for the reactor. Not sure about washing, as the supply of materials is tugh here.. Im thinking about a 750 litre plastic water tank (vertical) with a spray wash on top.

Drying tanks and settling tanks are tough too... Im thinking about the same 750 litre plastic water tanks...but put on their sides, so they are wider than taller... what do you think?

Moonan...Yes...silly me.... of course I meant to say "centrifugal" pump.
          Ill check out the google suggestion you made and let you know of my success..thanks so much.

Darren. Yeah, its all looking good mate. KOH, no probs.. about $1/kg.. does that compare OK?
          CH3OH is a little harder to get, as its a precursor for amphetimine production, which is a real problem over here. Im looking at different sources, but it looks like I may be able to get it for about $1/litre. How does that compare?

Mate, Im getting a LOT of support from the network I have established in the govt and privately... as Paul predicted. Its exciting stuff.

Guys Ive SOME photos of a plant set up as I described above, but could really do with some more info, as this is for my first plant construction. Is it ok if i bounce some ideas off you.. I want to make sure I have this right.

I can use a gear pump to move the preheated and prefiltered oil to the reaction tank. It is OK to pump this into the top of the reaction tank, or should all inputs be through a valve at the bottom of the reaction tank.

I should use a gear pump to circulate the mixture in the reaction tank by taking the mixture from an output valve at the bottom of the reactor tank and pumping it into an input valve at the top of the reactor tank (or should I go the other way?)

In addition to this gear pump driven circulation, I should have a motor driven mixing blade, and baffles on the inside of the reactor tank, correct?

After I stop the reaction with water, I should use a centrifugal pump to move the mixture to the settling tank, or is a gear pump OK?

After settling, I should use a centrifugal pump to move the mixture to the washing tank, or is a gear pump ok?

Thanks for the advice guys... I really appreciate it!!
          Last edited by Dave; 24 February 2006, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Thought I'd mention a few things. Might be worth while not worrying about washing the the BD. You could allow it to settle for a few weeks.

Also $1/KG for KOH is a very good price. I'm getting it for about $80 for 25Kg's.
            Also what is the [purity of the KOH?

If Methanol is hard to come by, is Ethanol any easier?

Joe
            Joe Morgan
            Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
            http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
            SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Hey Joe, thanks for the comments.

Originally posted by joe
              Thought I'd mention a few things. Might be worth while not worrying about washing the the BD. You could allow it to settle for a few weeks.
              This is an option, but the way I have been mentored, Ive been told washing is an essential step. What are others peoples thoughts on this?

Remember, I am trialling this with a lot of important important people, and the stuff is going to be lab tested. If it passes lab tests, it will launch. If it is inferior, it will never grow any bigger than supplying our univeristy.

Also $1/KG for KOH is a very good price. I'm getting it for about $80 for 25Kg's.
              Also what is the [purity of the KOH?
              Yeah the purity is 98-99%. I should mention that is US$1.

If Methanol is hard to come by, is Ethanol any easier?
              I havent investigated this yet, as I am only experienced in using Methanol. I WILL be able to get the stuff, its just a matter of going though the right channels to get the right price...

THANKS!

Joe

Comment

Hi Dave , good luck with your project , renewable energy is a great development tool .You dont specify what oil you will be using , is it new or used cooking oil ? I would guess that used oil goes to animal feed.
                If you are using palm oil , it makes good BD .
                If you want to use coconut , yield will be low ( short chain esters ) and maybe not economically viable.Real hard with ethanol (thanks Terry ).
                If you can get coconut oil at a good price , consider using it straight and avoid the hassle of producing BD under trying conditions and the expense of a processor.Coconut is a very good diesel substitute/extender , without risk of gumming and coking ( it's 90% saturated fats).
                I have had success running straight coconut oil in big gensets and expellers, trucks etc in Timor Leste as part of a renewable energy development programme of a large NGO.Coconut/kero/ heater/single tank is OK too for vehicles if the temp is high.
                A 2 tank and heat exchanger system is simple and reliable , especially on a stationary engine - small diesel/bd tank for start/stop , cheap heater to warm the already 30C oil. Going SVO is so much easier in the tropics ! No dangerous poisonous/flammable chemicals ,and 100% renewable ingredients.This straight coconut thing is huge throughout the tropics now ( check the Koh Samui ferries up your way). Soon we'll be supplying a large proportion of the fuel demand for municipal power stations throughout regional TL .
                If you need advice on CNO or making a BD processor outa 44's , no worries , just track down a good biomass briquetter from Camdodia for me , OK ?
                Jonathan Clouston , Dili

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
                  Hey Joe, thanks for the comments.

This is an option, but the way I have been mentored, Ive been told washing is an essential step. What are others peoples thoughts on this?

Remember, I am trialling this with a lot of important important people, and the stuff is going to be lab tested. If it passes lab tests, it will launch. If it is inferior, it will never grow any bigger than supplying our univeristy.

Yeah the purity is 98-99%. I should mention that is US$1.

I havent investigated this yet, as I am only experienced in using Methanol. I WILL be able to get the stuff, its just a matter of going though the right channels to get the right price...

THANKS!

Joe

Yeah sorry. I though you were running some old diesel generators in a UNI. If you need to achieve ASTM standard BD than you will definately need to wash. Yes $1US is still a great price.

Good Luck.

Joe
                  Joe Morgan
                  Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
                  http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
                  SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Originally posted by timorcoco
                    If you need advice on CNO or making a BD processor outa 44's , no worries , just track down a good biomass briquetter from Camdodia for me , OK ?
                    Jonathan Clouston , Dili
                    Hey Jonathon

This is exactly what I need help on!

Ive done a bit of research on CNO, not really suitable here.

BUT

I need all the help I can get on setting up a 44BD processor. What would be great is step by steps pics of putting it together.. but really anything you have!

please email me at

biodiesel_cambodia@yahoo.com.au (there is an underscore in this address, ok?)

Thanks so much!

Dave
                    Last edited by Dave; 1 March 2006, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Dave,
                      There are a few different processors on Journey to Forever.

The instructions for a cone bottomed reactor are pretty good.

Glenos

I am new to this forum I hope posting this link doesn't breach the rules.
                      glenos

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                        X