Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding more Methanol post reaction?

I read this somewhere.

"After the reaction has finished, to settle in the reaction tank for one hour. After this time, there will be 5% of oil that has stil not been reacted. Add 1 more litre of methanol and continue reaction. Then, stop reaction with water"

What are your thoughts on this?

Re: Adding more Methanol post reaction?

Depending on the size of the batch, is it really worth trying to get every last bit to react, let alone the extra work involved, plus i do not think methanol alone does anything apart from evaporating, this is why we have to make the methoxide.
    Just a thought.

Comment

Why bother wasting any amount more of methanol when some users use 100% oil. Doesn't sound entirely right unless it was methoxide that you where mixing back through. Better off remixing the glycerine back through. Its got methoxide still left in it.

Joe
      Joe Morgan
      Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
      http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
      SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

If the correct proportions of Caustic and methanol are used, then it will not make any difference to the conversion, but may cause some more of the soaps in the byproduct to be dissolved in the additional methanol.
        If you are using an excess of methanol in the reaction (20% of vol of oil), there will be unused methanol in the byproduct and in the biodiesel.

I see no good reason to add more unused methanol.

Are you planning to recover the methanol?
        Where did you get this snippet from?

I would be happy to hear or read the explanation for adding more methanol.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

This sounds like some other misinformation like the discredited "Foolproof method". You can only get a further reaction from the addition of methoxide, not methanol.

Sometimes a person will take their finished biodiesel and then add more methoxide to see how much more glycerin they can settle out. This is can be used as a test to see how good the first conversion was.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Syd
            This sounds like some other misinformation like the discredited "Foolproof method". You can only get a further reaction from the addition of methoxide, not methanol.

Sometimes a person will take their finished biodiesel and then add more methoxide to see how much more glycerin they can settle out. This is can be used as a test to see how good the first conversion was.

I had great success from doing this before. Its surprising how much more will be reacted.
            Joe
            Last edited by joe; 8 March 2006, 12:13 PM.
            Joe Morgan

Comment

Hello Joe,
              Can you describe what you did and the results.

Tilly

Comment

Originally posted by tillyfromparadise
                Hello Joe,
                Can you describe what you did and the results.

Tilly
                Its not very scientific but for a 20 litre batch I'll use a quarter of what I used for the first reaction. So approx 1 litre of methanol and about 40 - 60 grams of KOH depending how much I used in the first reaction. I would get good seperation and 1 litre of glycerine.

Dunno if it means that I should have used more in the first reaction however but I do the titration accurately and often more than once. However I find I can still get more out of it with the second reaction. I used to do the same with beer.

Joe
                Joe Morgan

Comment

Joe,
                  Are you adding 3.5g + titration amount per litre in the main reaction,
                  or 5g + titration per litre of oil?
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                  '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                  '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                  '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                  '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                  '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                  '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                  '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                  '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                  '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                  Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
                  X