Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Use of BioDiesel

Hi all!
    My name is Spiro. I have a 05 4.2Tdi Patrol. I filled up at Rally last Friday using b20 for the first time and found that my patrol turbo exhaust temperature is running cooler by between 20 to 50 degrees cooler! I have a pyro fitted about 25mm on the exhaust side of the turbo.

Power output is the same, in that I cannot notice any difference from standing to take off. The mileage is a little down, but I did do abit of highway work.

Will use b50 soon as they get a batch in. I'm very interested in building a plant for myself. I have access to chemical plant equipment (redunant stuff) when its available. I work at a refinery in Sydney and things pop up or get thrown out.

Hope to meet some members and get ideas and tips.
    regards
    Spiro

</IMG>

Re: First Use of BioDiesel

Welcome Spiro, i also have a Patrol, a 2001 4.2tdi.
    For your information, I have fitted a different fuel filter which is cheaper to buy cartridges for. I got the adapter from Denco in Wagga and it screws on in place of the original fuel filter and has a glass bowl to see the water and gunk build up. Cost about $90 delivered to brisbane for the kit, but then you can get the filter cartridges available most everywhere for about $5 or $7 instead of $37 for the original Nissan filter.
    If you read through some of the postings here you will find people have had problems with filter blockages due to the cleaning action of bio cleaning out the tank and fuel lines. Your vehicle may not suffer from this as it seems fairly new but is worth keeping in mind.
    I haven't used bio yet and have been building my own processor which is just about ready to go, all I need now is a supply of cooking oil.
    Regards
    Peter

Comment

Hi Peter,
      I have used the same filter as you have got. Thats the CAV type using a 297 filter. Had to take it off as the guys at Westend Diesel said it will void my warranty! I'll wait until its finished before putting it back on.
      I made a aluminium block to raise the filter up about 50mm to make it easier to remove the filter and also do oil changes. This means I also had to put in new fuel lines that were a little longer.
      Anyway, I'll keep an eye on my original oem filter for now,and give it a drain every so often.
      Regards
      Spiro

Comment

Hi Spiro,

I've also got a 2005 4.2 TDi, haven't run any bio through it yet but am starting to get test batches done.

Have the possibility of a good supply of WVO, just need to get through testing and make the reactor

Did you check with the dealer to see if running bio will void your warranty?

Gordo

Comment

Warranty issues. If you ask any vehicle company in Australia, they will say no purely out of ignorance. I know, I've seen many of their answers.
          The manufacturer (in this case Nissan) will warrant their car from manufacturing defects. If something dire happens in your engine, like you throw a conrod, then it is not very likely that it is caused by the fuel you used. If you happen to pick up a bad batch of mineral diesel from a dodgy outback service station with loads of water and dirt in it, they will not warrant you either - they will fairly blame the fuel supplier.
          The same thing applies with biodiesel. If you purchase mineral diesel from a dodgy source and you have a problem, your chances of getting compensated by them are slim. If you've bought it from a major supplier and have your receipt, you can take the case to them, they will investigate and pay the fee to repair the damage that their fuel caused. If you have bought your biodiesel from a major supplier and if Nissan refuses to warrant any faults which they claim are not caused by their manufacturing defects, but by the fuel you've run their engine on, then your biodiesel supplier can investigate the batch they sold you and if at fault, compensate you.
          Make sense?
          If you've made home brew, chances are that you've probably already made a cleaner and superior fuel to what you'd buy from the petro-pump, but you also have the risk of no safety net if you do have any problems.
          If you ask Nissan to clarify this point, you'll probably not get a sensible answer, just the safest one for them from a legal perspective and the least thought out one.
          I sought answers from Land Rover once to find out if they had any components made from natural rubber. They answered that I could not use biodiesel more than 1 tank in 4 as their "engine was too highly tuned". For anyone slightly educated about biodiesel, this statement is laughable, but that was their official answer.
          Very few vehicle manufacturers are educated about biodiesel in Australia and so you will get ignorance when you ask a simple question about warranty. A national biodiesel body will need to be formed here soon to properly tackle this problem, or the Australian Biodiesel market will be severely stunted.
          Gordo - if you do get an answer from your Nissan dealer, please post it up - I'd love to hear what they had to say.

Cheers,
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

Hi David and everyone interested in this thread,
            Just thought I would give you a heads up that I have a class of environmental science students linked in with the Ecoliving Centre this session and they are going to be looking at a range of environmental issues. In particular they are breaking into small but committed teams and researching what they can actually do about specific problems or issues to create an improvement, and that they will be aiming to carry out these tasks before the end of the session.

One of the teams is very interested in more sustainable transport fuel options and of course as we all know that leads you to biodiesel! When we poked and prodded what some of the issues that seem to exist out there at the moment are they decided that they want to do research and collate info on warranties and biodiesel, and to prepare a document and information sheets etc. These things all have real and direct implications for us here at UNSW and our plans to start to shift the diesel fleet here over to biodiesel as we have stated in our Environmental Management Plan.

They will be popping in on line soon and so when they do please everyone help them out as much as you can as they are trying to help us out with research time etc that we ourselves do not have to spare.

Regards,
            cameron
            UNSW Ecoliving Centre

Comment

Cameron,
              I have tried to send you a PM to offer assistance to your students - the system says you have exceeded your allocated space for pm's, and so it won't let me...
              Can you pm me with an e-mail address or make some space if convenient?

thanks
              ..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Comment

Cool - pm sent and inbox cleared - ready to go!

Thanks!

Cheers,
                Cameron

Comment

Working...
                X