X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• read what this guy did

Sorry but I just had to link to this:

http://forums.biodieselnow.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11777

This makes it very tough for anyone to take us seriously when people like this do such dangerous things. I feel sorry for the guy because he got hurt but bloody hell

Joe
    Last edited by joe; 15 March 2006, 06:56 AM.
    Joe Morgan
    Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
    http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
    SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Re: read what this guy did

I know of two people that did similar things. One burnt down his shed when he was heating up the oil and then went inside to take a phone call.

The other was drying his biodiesel, which had a timer to handle the time (that failed) and went to pick up his daughter, he burnt down his garage.

Folks, people regularly cook in oil. The temperture to cook chips and the like is over 100C. You only have to heat the oil for biodiesel up to about 55C maximum to get a quick reaction. This should be a very safe operation, but if you screw up you're going to pay big time. Many people look upon heating oil as if they are heating up water - there is no comparison. Once that oil hits flash point you have a big problem.

I recommend that anyone who his heating something, whether it is oil or biodiesel, to stay put. To sit there and watch it. If the phone rings, TURN OFF THE HEAT BEFORE YOU ANSWER THE PHONE.

You should also have a designated area such as a shed to not only cop all the mess, but to isolate any potential problems from the household.

I doubt if the fellow even had a fire extinguisher in his kitchen. I do, do you?
    Last edited by joe; 15 March 2006, 10:15 AM. Reason: removal of word idiot from subject

Comment

Re: read what this guy did

Is that the guy at Buderim on the Sunny Coast. There was a guy who did the same thing in his kitchen or garage there in the last 6-9 months took a phone call. Also another bloke near Caloundra who went out while heating jis oil and lost his house because the heating thermostat failed.

I heat my oil over an open fire outside for half an hour while I'm mowing the lawn.

Joe

Originally posted by Terry Syd
      I know of two people that did similar things. One burnt down his shed when he was heating up the oil and then went inside to take a phone call.

The other was drying his biodiesel, which had a timer to handle the time (that failed) and went to pick up his daughter, he burnt down his garage.

Folks, people regularly cook in oil. The temperture to cook chips and the like is over 100C. You only have to heat the oil for biodiesel up to about 55C maximum to get a quick reaction. This should be a very safe operation, but if you screw up you're going to pay big time. Many people look upon heating oil as if they are heating up water - there is no comparison. Once that oil hits flash point you have a big problem.

I recommend that anyone who his heating something, whether it is oil or biodiesel, to stay put. To sit there and watch it. If the phone rings, TURN OFF THE HEAT BEFORE YOU ANSWER THE PHONE.

You should also have a designated area such as a shed to not only cop all the mess, but to isolate any potential problems from the household.

I doubt if the fellow even had a fire extinguisher in his kitchen. I do, do you?
      Last edited by joe; 15 March 2006, 10:16 AM.
      Joe Morgan
      Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
      http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
      SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Working...
      X