Narrandera BioDiesel Servo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narrandera BioDiesel Servo.

I just thought I'd mention that I'm driving from QLD to TAS next week, and I'll be filling up the Narrandera servo - last time I went through there, I came to a screeching (well, almost) halt and topped up the tank on the BioDiesel they're selling. It's a very clear, gold, liquid, and the exhaust smells very strongly of spring rolls. I ran the car (2004 Prado) last time without any problems at all. I will be taking 5 20L containers down with me to keep the car nicely spring-rolled up for the trip around tassie, too 8)

I also remember reading in one of the forums that some photos are wanted of the site, so I'll get some when I'm there and upload them here for the mods to update the BioDiesel Finder.

--Rob

Re: Narrandera BioDiesel Servo.

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum.

Having done a trip around tassie for 5 weeks in November there are five points of advice I can give you straight off as far as biodiesel goes:

1. Tassie is HEAPS bigger than you think and rather than the three thousand km trip I THOUGHT I would do (ie getting there = 1000, exploring = 1000, getting home = 1000) we ended up doing 5000km!

2. there is nowhere in Tassie that you can currently buy commercial biodiesel - if you can chum up with some forum members from Tassie maybe they can help you out with a bit of home made but I wouldn't bet on it

3. You are not allowed to take full fuel cans across on the Spirit of Tassie - they have to be either bone dry or be filled with water. Water and engines don't mix so well I have been told. You MAY be able to get some leniency for biodiesel - I have read somewhere that someone did but once on the basis of it being food grade oil based or something but again you would want to know BEFORE arriving at the dock and have it in writing rather than have them confiscate 100litres of fuel and give you a stern reprimand (maybe that is a reprimand they give you at the back of the boat?)

4. Chris in Melbourne can fix you up with some good comercial bio before you hit the ferry to make sure that your vehicle fuel tank is 100% full of 100% bio. Also when you get back off the ferry in Melbourne so that at least you can drive back on bio too.

5. If you keep topping up regularly with stinky old dinodiesel in Tassie at least you will be running (diminishing) blends of bio for as long as possible.

Cheers,
    cameron

Comment

Hi Rob, thanks for the info on Narrandera. We don't so much need photos, but good reports on the quality of the product and possibly where they supply it from would be great.

With the biodiesel finder, it relies on good people such as yourself to update it with info for the rest of us, so if you can get an address, it can be added to the map by following these instructions. (I will try to make this a bit easier to do and the instructions more obvious in future upgrades I do.)

Cheers,
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
        Hi Rob and welcome to the forum.
        I've been lurking for some time. I work for a large group of Mobil distributors in Queensland, and I've been on their case for a while now about selling BioDiesel commercially. Only one, so far, has given a commitment, which they announced a couple of months ago. More news as it comes to hand 8)

...we ended up doing 5000km!
        Most of the time I'll be working, unfortunately, but we are towing the bikes down there (1 road, 2 trials) and we'll be having some fun on them 8)

3. You are not allowed to take full fuel cans across on the Spirit of Tassie
        Yeah, I'm aware of that. The Prado carries 180L of diesel in the tank, so that'll be full before I go across, and I'll see what I do with the cannisters.. I might leave them where I'm working before I go, just to avoid issues.

4. Chris in Melbourne can fix you up with some good comercial bio before you hit the ferry
        Mmm. How do I get in touch with this wonderful person 8) Chris?

--Rob

Comment

Hey Rob,
          The info I found out last time when it was me looking can be found at this thread:
          http://www.biofuelsforum.com/tas_bio...g_tas_nov.html

and there are heaps of postings by Chris and heaps of info about getting biodiesel in Melbourne if you go to the Vic Biodiesel Users section of the forum.

Happy reading!

Cheers,
          Cameron

Comment

Well, it was closed when I arrived, but got a couple of shots. They're available at Picasa Web Albums - X-Rob - Trip to Melbo... - I've got about 40L left in the tanks, so I'll be filling up (150L or so) plus filling up the 5 20L jerrycans I've got with me too. More information is here (and read the blog post, it's amusing 8)

--Rob

Comment

Contact me beforehand if you need bio in Wangaratta.

Comment

I took some photos on the way back.. Lets see how well they attach. GPS location of the servo is E146 33'20" and S34 44'27" (Which, apparently, is 34.740833° and 146.555556° Longitude, but the google maps applet is whinging that I've left something out 8-\)

--Rob
                xrobau
                Biofuels Forum Newbie
                Last edited by xrobau; 19 March 2007, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X