Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth Hour - 31st March 7:30

Just thought I'd let people know about this -

WWF (the wildlife people, not the wrestlers!) and the Sydney Morning Herald are advertising Earth Hour, where everyone in Sydney turns off their lights for an hour. It's part of a WWF campaign to try to reduce greenhouse gases. Anyway, here's the link:

The Sydney Morning Herald:

and one for WWF:

Home -- WWF-Australia

I was thinking it'd be great if the whole of Australia participated, to show our support for the reduction of greenhouse gases.

Re: Earth Hour - 31st March 7:30

I use green energy for my home supply so my lights = 0 CO2 anyway. Still it's a good idea. In Australia, half the greenhouse emissions come from energy and the other from transport. It would be nice if they also had an earth hour where everyone drove on biodiesel, or not at all.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Well I've registered and put it in my diary. I think you get a text message to remind you if you register.

It will be interesting to see how many people do it, and if it has any noticeable impact on the grid. I certainly don't imagine my suburb will be plunged into blackness - most people are too ignorant/apathetic to bother.
      Sean

Comment

I wonder if the GHG from the paraffin wax candles will be do more damage than the electric alternative? I've registered and I'll still be doing it anyway, just to make a point.
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

Would I be making a proper contribution if I fired up my WVO powered generator and left the lights and everything else in the house on to run from it for an hour?
          Last edited by Guest; 8 February 2007, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Make sure you put up a sign saying "veg oil in use" like the "bore water in use" signs people use when watering gardens.
            cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

*Bump*

This is on Saturday. I'm gonna turn my lights off and go for a bike ride

Comment

Me too. We'll be getting some candles out and sitting in darkness for an hour.

Hang on, that's getting to be a bit of a habit in our area with the number of power cuts we've had recently!!
                Sean

Comment

Back in the 1980's one of the big town's on the west coast of the USA had a power blackout for a few hours early one evening. Sociologists tracked the event and 9 months later there was a mini baby boom

So what do you do when your computer is off, the TV and DVD's aren't on and there's no light to read by? You have been warned

Cheers, Michael

Comment

Originally posted by W123 x 2 View Post
                    Back in the 1980's one of the big town's on the west coast of the USA had a power blackout for a few hours early one evening. Sociologists tracked the event and 9 months later there was a mini baby boom

So what do you do when your computer is off, the TV and DVD's aren't on and there's no light to read by? You have been warned

Cheers, Michael
                    Cool,that expalins the 3 times population rise in India since 1950.Where only 40% electrification has taken place till date and power cuts to the tune of 8 hours is still a very common happening in major metros.I wander...strange are the social dynamics.....

Have a great weekend folks.

Cheers
                    Sauman

Comment

That was one great silent dark hour. I was not sure if I am not suppose to use a candle or not but I had to use one for my little baby.

I hope this hour made a diffeence.

Cheers
                      Fitian
                      <><

Comment

Working...
                      X