What are the problems with BioDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the problems with BioDiesel

I am considering using BioDiesel and I was wondering what the problems are with Biodiesel? For example, what is the average cloud point for BD, and what are other problems that users run into often, (especially when used with large equipment)

Thanks for your imput

Re: What are the problems with BioDiesel

The only problems I have encountered are blocked fuel filters, fuel gelling, and a couple of hoses softening.

The fuel filters on my car have blocked when I have pushed out the scheduled servicing past when it should be conducted. I reliably get 10,000 K out of a set of filters. I get 12,000 with degraded performance, and shortly after, I get stuck on the side of the road changing the filter. I now religously change the filter every 10,000 Km. Be prepared for your filters to block a couple of times in the first few tanks as bio is a good scouring agent and will clean the crap out of your tank subsequently depositing it in your filters.

Last winter I experienced problems with the fuel gelling. We had an exceptionally cold (keep in mind I live in the dryest state of Australia, not the front range in Colorado) spell of temperatures of -5C overnight and my vehicle would start and run but it ran like a hairy goat with three shaky legs and a hangover. Once the car reached operating temperature, it ran fine. Leaving it undercover instead of out in the open helped.

Hoses, I have had a couple of hoses that have started going soft, I replaced them with a bio diesel compatible hose and have had no problems since.

On the upside, the exhuast aroma is that of a BBQ. A lot more pleasant than stinky fossil diesel.

My thoughts are that the benefits of using products such as biodiesel far out weigh any inconvenience.
    Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

Generally speaking, the biggest problem with biodiesel is cold weather..The cloud point of biodiesel depends on the type of feedstock oil that was used to make it.

Canola oil is the best with gel temperatures in the low 30's F (0deg C) for new oil and high 30's F for waste oil made from it.

Things like corn oil or soybean oil have higher gel points in the 40 to 45 degree F range

Animal tallow will be in the 60's and 70's.

Hope this helps,

Biodiesel, waste oil heating, do it yourself.

Comment

Last winter I experienced problems with the fuel gelling. We had an exceptionally cold (keep in mind I live in the dryest state of Australia, not the front range in Colorado) spell of temperatures of -5C overnight and my vehicle would start and run but it ran like a hairy goat with three shaky legs and a hangover. Once the car reached operating temperature, it ran fine. Leaving it undercover instead of out in the open helped.

Hoses, I have had a couple of hoses that have started going soft, I replaced them with a bio diesel compatible hose and have had no problems since.

Hi,

I live in the Adelaide Hills and may get problems with my Biodiesel solidifying in the winter. The Cloudpoint of my Biodiesel is about 15 C. The fuel hoses of my VW Caddy are made of plastic and I would like to replace them. I would like to heat trace them so would need stainless steel or copper. I read that Biodiesel reacts with copper so I am more inclined to go for stainless steel.

What did you replace yours with and where did you get the new hoses/pipes?

Regards,

Arie
        Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)
        2007 VW Caddy 1.9 L TDI with DSG

Australian VW Caddy Website:
        http://vw-caddy.yolasite.com

Australian VW Caddy Forum:
        http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=d

Australian Biodiesel Handbook:
        http://www.biodiesel-handbook.yolasite.com

Comment

Originally posted by DutchAussie View Post
          I live in the Adelaide Hills and may get problems with my Biodiesel solidifying in the winter.
          I lived in the adelaide hills and often had problems with the winsheild iceing up. Of course hosing it off worked well, unless the tap had frozen solid, which it did on a number of occasions.....
          It may be worthwhile adding a fuel heater before the injector pump?
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to put it to use.

Also, have any of you had any problems with the manufacturing, storage, or transportation of Biodiesel?

Thanks,
            Jonathan

Comment

Working...
            X