Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Datsun 720 Problems

Hi All,
    I have a diesel 720 that is just used as a farm ute. Should be perfect for running on a WVO blend. I was about to fit some extra filters before running the WVO and the old girl died on me yesterday.

Its a fuel supply problem. Only a few hours running since I fitted a new filter. Undid the fuel supply lines to the fuel pump and there only seems a small dribble being supplied to the pump which i guess means an issue between the pump and the tank.

Would appreciate any advice on where to start. I expect I'll have to drain the tank as the dino diesel in it would have been shipped out on the First Fleet. Should I try to clean out what would be a disgustingly dirty tank and fuel lines in preparation for the WVO? Just as well it happened now as next week I would have been wrongly suspecting the WVO as the cause.

Laurie
    Lozzer
    Last edited by Lozzer; 21 February 2007, 12:10 PM. Reason: addition

Re: Datsun 720 Problems

Hi Laurie,

Have a similar problem with my farm ute last year. Had been a town ute for ages before it retired to my farm and the bouncing around the paddocks stirred up all the gunge - she died - no fuel. This was before I put WVO in it!

Anyway replaced the filters (2 + return line filter!?) and still no go, pulled the tank to get to the pick-up and it was clogged solid. As I had the tank out already, I cleaned it with petrol (all I had) and since had no problems (touch wood).

Don't know the Dato but if you can get to the tank fuel pick up without pulling the tank and you've already done the filters, I'd start there.

One question, how do you know it's a fuel blockage and not the IP? Did you pressurize the tank and still a dribble?

Cheers, Michael

Comment

Hi Michael and thnx for the response,
      Diesel engine work is pretty new for me so i apologise in advance for making dumb mistakes/assumptions. The Dato has a mechanical fuel pump mounted at base of IP. Disconnecting the fuel pump outlet and turning the engine over gave only a small dribble of fuel flow out of the pump. I expected it to be at least as much as from a petrol pump.

I'll try pressurising the tank with the inlet line to the pump undone. The old girl stopped on a slope with the engine below the rear so I expected some gravity feed. I suspect the pick, tank and fuels lines will be an ugly mess so i suppose i just have to bite the bullet and clean it out ready for WVO.
      Laurie
      Lozzer
      Last edited by Lozzer; 21 February 2007, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Don't forget the sintered brass filter at the IP inlet. It can also block, despite the prior filters.

Tony
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

All Fixed

Thank you Michael and Tony for your advice,
          I drained the fuel tank and to my surprise the diesel didnt appear too bad in that it wasnt black or spoupy and there was no solid contamination. It did however have the qualities of diesel that has gone off with some colouration and that foul smell.

I added fresh diesel, cleared the air out of the system and the old girl started and ran fine. Looks like i have my WVO testbed back.

One question re the fuel system set up. Where does the line that comes out of the base of the IP go?
          Laurie

Comment

Re: All Fixed

Originally posted by Lozzer View Post
            One question re the fuel system set up. Where does the line that comes out of the base of the IP go?
            Laurie
            there typicaly are 2 lines going to/ from the injector pump. One feeds the fuel into the pump, one feeds back to the tank, taking fuel (possibly hot, some pumps are cooled in this fashion) and possibly air in a system that self bleeds (most modern ones are). If its not the feed, its likely to be the return.
            In a 2 tank system you can loop the veg oil back to the feed, or return it to the right tank (veg or diesel), or loop all returned fuel back into the feed. It depends on how you plumb it.

Sometimes IP also have a manifold pressure which adjusts the fuel acording to air pressure, but this is mainly on turbo engines.
            cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Re: All Fixed

Typically, the return line carries fuel from the filter, fuel from the IP and a SMALL amount of fuel from the injector return lines.
              If the fuel line you describe connects to these locations, then you are describing the fuel return line.

Regards,
              Tony
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
              X