Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycerine in WVO. A problem???

Hello all.
    Has anyone had a problem with glycerine in WVO? I am hoping that i have attached a file about this and invite comments
    Regards
    Geoff Otherside532

Re: Glycerine in WVO. A problem???

I guess it didn't work!
    Geoff

Comment

Here we go again!
      Geoff

Comment

Made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Geoff Otherside532

Comment

No I have not had any problems! The glycerine is part of what burns in the combustion chamber along with the rest of the oil. The glycerine is chemically part of the oil, removing it makes it thinner, meaning it is not necesary to heat to burn it, or thin with kero, petrol etc.
          reading the coclusion, it attributes some problems to vegetable oil, which seems strange as it was talking about biodiesel.......
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Echidna View Post
            No I have not had any problems! The glycerine is part of what burns in the combustion chamber along with the rest of the oil. The glycerine is chemically part of the oil, removing it makes it thinner, meaning it is not necesary to heat to burn it, or thin with kero, petrol etc.
            reading the coclusion, it attributes some problems to vegetable oil, which seems strange as it was talking about biodiesel.......

Thaks Chris. All contributions are greatfully received.
            Kind regards as usual
            Geoff Otherside532

Comment

The test has omissions and draws conclusions based on unspecified materials so to me shows nothing other than they did this and got that result without enough detail as to how and why their results were derived. or enough info to make them repeateble which I believe is a haulmark of a good test.

They say they used Bio with glycerin. They do not specify if they are talking about the normal 20% Glycerin as would come out of the reaction or they talking about unwashed but separated Bio?

They draw a conclusion that Bio has a high density and gumming properties. I have never heard of bio causing the types of problems they note. They mention in their conclusions problems of ring sticking, carbonization problems etc, although they don't specify if these problems are with Normal bio or Bio with Glyc. They also make no mention of striping the engine after the test so how these seemingly unusual conclusions were arrived at is anyone guess.

Once again, this test is based on burning one type of fuel in an engine specifically tuned for a completely different type of fuel. If one were to fill a race car with ordinary Petrol, it is almost certain a comparable sized road car would beat it round a track and the race car would have engine damage by the time it got back. Based on deductions of the Bio test, the conclusion would be that race car engines are not as powerful as street car engines and have terrible reliability.

Given that Bio and WVO lights off at a higher temperature than regular Diesel, I would suggest an engine specifically set up for one of these fuels in regards to timing, injection rates and perhaps compression, may be able to make more power than than one running dino diesel despite the veg oils lower energy value.

This test was done 3 years ago Today but I have seen many more similar ones done since. I think it is time someone came up with a test for determining what sort of power can be derived from an engine set up to run Bio or WVO rather than keep running the now well know test of how much less power WVO or BIO will generate in an engine designed for some other fuel.

All in all, This test is pretty confusing and totally meaningless to me.

I have not had any problems with glycerine in WVO either.

In the tests I have done experimenting with WVO, I can see how the glycerin could have detrimental effects in the engine.
              Burned properly and totally, the glycerin burns to a fine ash which in an engine, I can only conclude is blown out the exhaust and leaves the combustion chamber and associated parts clean and deposit free.

If veg oil/ glycerin is NOT burned completely, it leaves a sticky, tar like substance which could easily be seen to cause a multitude of problems inside an engine.

Bio and diesel will burn free of any residues or deposits where WVO will not. Hence, the need for extra precautions to make sure it is burning properly and completely in the engine to avoid trouble.

Comment

Hello David
                Thanks for your comprehensive reply, it is appreciated, as are all the helpful comments here. Since you appear to have been "sonspicuous by your absence" of late, I gues you must have been waxing creative with your latest contribution!!!!
                Thanks again
                Kind regards as always
                Geoff Otherside532

Comment

Working...
                X