Diesel engine oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel engine oils

Not specifically BD related, but this forum is a good source of info.

My Mazda6 specifies a 5W-30 ACEA C1 rated oil. The viscosity doesn't overly worry, but trying to find a C1 oil is like hens teeth. Mazda of course sells a Genuine C1 oil (it would seem to be a Fuchs oil, but of a type not avail in Aust), but at $75 /5lts, I need to find something else. I thought Penrite HPR semi-synthetic (available in 5W and 15W) would be a good start, but it is only A3/B3 rated, meaning it has enough Sulphur and Phosphorus in the oil to kill a DPF.
    Any VW, Peugeot or other Euro-4 engined car owners have any choices for particular engine oils?
    Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Re: Diesel engine oils

The Ford WSS-M2C934-A is the latest spec on which the new Ford/Mazda diesel engines with DPF are based on. It is a low HTHS, low SAPS formulation. Based on ACEA A5/B5 and ACEA C1.

So far, I've found only two meeting that spec - Fuchs TITAN GT1 Pro C-1 5W-30, which you pointed out, and Motul 8100 Eco-clean+ 5W-30. Due to limited amount of SAPS, these types of oils have a Group III synthetic base as a minimum, so I'll cost upwards of at least $65.

It is quite new so you'll have to be patient until other oil companies start to offer their own lubricants. I'm just glad Mazda have even bothered to stock the correct oil in the first place!

Comment

Penrite quote the use of their HPR 0 oil which is quoted to meet the requirements of ACEA C3, with a low ash formulation, low SAPS for use with diesel engines with DPF and for use with "engines that specify ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5, C1 & C2 operating in Australia". Product Info : http://www.penrite.com.au/files/532856ZAWD/HPR00.pdf

See FL Selenia Technical Manual - vers. 2.0 for more info on C rated oils (for engines with post-treatment devices for reduction of exhaust gasses emission)

-Alan
      MearCat
      Biofuels Forum Newbie
      Last edited by MearCat; 2 March 2007, 03:48 PM. Reason: Did not save all of reply text

Comment

Penrite quote the use of their HPR 0 oil which is their low ash recommendation for the Mazda 6 diesel engines with DPF. It meets the C3 standard but I'm not sure how similar that it to the quoted C1 oil.

HPR 0 - Penrite Oil

Comment

Thanks, MearCat, I'd overlooked the HPR 0 as I'd assumed it was just a Petrol Oil. It looks like HPR5 might also be suitable, too.

Researching for your new Mazda already? Waiting, waiting!

Comment

I like to be well researched when any I buy new toy

HPR5 meets the ACEA A & B requirements but does not meet the ACEA C1/C2/C3. HPR0 does meet C due to its low SAPS and low ash. You can probably use HPR5 in the Mazda6 diesel but probably at the expense of reducing the life of the DPF.

Comment

I like to be well researched when I get a new toy

HPR5 does not meet C1/C2/C3 requirement where HPR0 does. I'm sure yiou can use HPR5 in the Mazda6 diesel but at the epense of a reduced life of the DPF.

Other oils that meet C3 specs I've found so far (and can be used in petrol or diesel) :
              Amsoil Synthetic 5W-40 European Motor Oil
              Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic

Comment

Originally posted by MearCat View Post
                HPR5 does not meet C1/C2/C3 requirement where HPR0 does. I'm sure yiou can use HPR5 in the Mazda6 diesel but at the epense of a reduced life of the DPF.
                Huh?
                HPR5

Comment

I use Nulon fully synthetic in all my engines, which I believe meets the require standards and isn't that expensive. Plus I find it improves the engine performance and seems to go very well with bio and blends.

Comment

That's wierd - I was only looking at the Product Information sheet http://www.penrite.com.au/files/VCZHM6N7DF/HPR05.pdf and not that summary page. The info sheet doesn't say anything about ACEA C3 yet the summary page does

Looks like HPR5 may be the way to go if it does comply though

Comment

This is wierd - my posts sometimes aren't appearing after I type a reply

Anyway... Sorry Gunner. I was only looking at the product info sheet which doesn't say anything about ACEA C ratings yet the summary page does According to Penrites Oil & Grease guide doc, it does. HPR5 is certainly a good option.

I've checked the Nulon website and none of their oils meets the ACEA C specs. A lot of oils easily meet the A/B specs but as Gunner originally said, C rated are like hens teeth
                      MearCat
                      Biofuels Forum Newbie
                      Last edited by MearCat; 5 March 2007, 11:16 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

This is wierd - my posts sometimes aren't appearing after I type a reply
                        Sorry, but that's by design, due to the fact that we are a public forum and therefore are under constant attack from spammers. If you are a new user here and try to post a link in your message (or if you use certain keywords), your post will be held for moderation until it is made public. There will be a message about moderation after you submit it. Moderated posts are usually approved within 24 hours, so don't sweat it, they will come through. Once you've contributed enough posts to the forum to be no longer considered a new user, this moderation process will no longer apply to you.

You'll notice I've just approved your previous post.
                        Robert.
                        Site Admin.

Comment

Thanks Robert. I will take that into consideration from now on

btw - I just got an email back from Nulon RE : availability of Nulon C1/C2/C3 oils and "it will be several months before we have one".

Comment

Anyway... Sorry Gunner. I was only looking at the product info sheet which doesn't say anything about ACEA C ratings yet the summary page does According to Penrites Oil & Grease guide doc, it does. HPR5 is certainly a good option.

I've checked the Nulon website and none of their oils meets the ACEA C specs. A lot of oils easily meet the A/B specs but as Gunner originally said, C rated are like hens teeth
                            No need to apologise to me. I started this thread to find any kinds of Euro-spec C-rated oils because there doesn't seem to be a lot of info for the Aust market. Even when you do find an oil, the Australian distributors like Fuchs and Nulon are slow to release them for the Aust market.

We have had a veritable flood of Euro-IV emission diesel vehicles released here in the last 18mths, but it seems oil distributors are taking some time to catch up, leaving the motorist to buy dealer "Genuine" oil and at steep prices.It is strange that some of the C-rated oils are what would normally be considered to be petrol engine oils, so maybe I've been looking in the wrong places?

Keep the results coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner View Post
                              We have had a veritable flood of Euro-IV emission diesel vehicles released here in the last 18mths, but it seems oil distributors are taking some time to catch up, leaving the motorist to buy dealer "Genuine" oil and at steep prices.
                              Annoying really because it's not like the bigger oil comapnies don't actually make the correct spec oil yet. Euro IV has been around since 2005 and the ACEA rating has been around since 2004 so the appropriate oils would have been available for at least a couple of years. For the bigger companies, they just need to get off their butts and start selling those oils IN Australia. Makes me wonder what it means for cars/oils when Euro V comes into effect in 2008.

Comment

Working...
                              X