Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discovery or Freelander...That is the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovery or Freelander...That is the question.

G’day folks,
    I’m looking at buying a second hand Land Rover Discovery TDI. (About ten years old) I’m a Rover nut from way back and have, over the years, owned one Rover 90, four Rover 3.5s and one old mark 2 ex Army Land Rover with a red Holden motor fitted, none of those vehicles ever gave me any major problems.
    Anyway I’m now thinking of buying a second hand Land Rover Discovery TDI, five speed manual, because it is a turbo diesel giving good fuel economy by all accounts and has a full aluminum body.
    Now the wife thinks the LR Disco looks like a truck and she can't work a manual box so to "try" keeping her happy, I am also looking at LR Freelanders TD4 automatice.
    Can anyone tell me if the LR Freelander TD4 also has an aluminum body and if anyone has experience with both vehicles, which, in your opinion, is the better vehicle?

Bill from Corio.

PS. I plan on running the vehicle on 100% BD.
    Who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks?
    This old dog has been learning new tricks for years and...
    I hope I can continue to do so!:cool:

Re: Discovery or Freelander...That is the question.

I run a 2001 Freelander TD4 manual on B100. I hear that the previous model of the Freelander - the L series, pre 2001 has problems with biodiesel due to the use of natural rubber components within the injection systems. Not sure if this is true for all of them, but I do know one user of BD who drives an L series. I know of a couple of others who drive TD4s on biodiesel.
    Dunno about the aluminium body.
    Very fuel efficient (I get about 7.5L/100Kms, possibly a little less on BD). Overall, quite a nice little car, but I'm pretty pissed off by the arrogance of Land Rover and their severely overpriced parts. There are almost no after market parts for this car and 2nd hand parts from wreckers are rare as hens teeth and almost as pricey as the original LR parts, but being a LR fan, you possibly would expect this anyway.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Offer a compromise deal - an automatic discovery!

Just go on and on about bloody manuals every now and then and do it for a while. Eventually she might get so worked up about gearboxes that it might become the main issue for her ....

Or suggest a choice between a manual freelander or an auto discovery.

But seriously it depends what you want to use the vehicle for. If you want to go camping and stuff then it is a no brainer for the disco. If it is just for city driving then maybe the freelander isn't your best option anyway.

Cheers,
      Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron
        Offer a compromise deal - an automatic discovery!

But seriously it depends what you want to use the vehicle for. If you want to go camping and stuff then it is a no brainer for the disco. If it is just for city driving then maybe the freelander isn't your best option anyway.

Cheers,
        Cameron
        G'day mates,

Thanks for taking the time to share your views, we'll be getting a LR Disco...5 speed manual, when the time comes!
        I offered to get the wife a small car for herself but as we are no longer spring chickens the wife has decided, finaly, that she dosen't want her own car again, I can keep driving her where she wants/needs to go... shopping or whatever, so we don't need two vehicles.
        So the decission on what vehicle we'll get has been left up to me and I'm looking for a Disco TD manual
        With a TD Disco manual, I can drive the wife on shopping trips and... we can get out the bush on camping fishing trips when we feel like it.
        Only being the two of us (the kids have all flown the nest and live overseas) we only have to decide what best suits "our" needs and as I make the decissions (most times ) on vehicles, I believe the TD Disco...manual... will best suit our needs.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your views, much apprecated mates .

Bill from Corio.
        Who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks?
        This old dog has been learning new tricks for years and...
        I hope I can continue to do so!:cool:

Comment

Nice one Bill,
          I think that you will be very happy with the manual disco.

Keeping the family stable down to one car sounds like a great option since you were able to retain your camping options!

Cheers,
          Cameron

Comment

Working...
          X