My Peugeot 306 suddenly won't start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Peugeot 306 suddenly won't start.

I'll start this by saying that I doubt biodiesel is to blame, but I always keep an open mind. At the moment, the car is sitting in my driveway and turning over and over without even a splutter. I am about to go and get a few litres of dirty dino diesel, just to be sure, but rather than ramble on with the problem again, I'll just cut and paste here what I put in the Aussie Peugeot Forum:

Originally posted by taken from aussiefrogs forum
    306 Diesel - Just suddenly won't start! This one hit me by surprise. It is my wife's car (306XTDT - 1.9L XUD, 2000 model) and she'd been mentioning that it has been taking a while to start recently, but only 1st thing in the morning. I have been meaning to check the glow plugs for some time as I'm not sure they're warming enough for a quick start, this seemed th emost obvious conclusion to jump to.

I bought the car a few months back with 76,000kms on the clock and I've since discovered many hidden nasties that escaped me on first inspection with dodgy repairs and bad wiring.

The last of these faults was the rain sensor on the windscreen which I had a crack at repairing today. This is a problem which has always existed, but today I thought I'd have a go at working around it. This may or may not be related to the current problem.

I mapped out all the 8 wires from the empty socket that used to contain the rain sensor and in the process heard a few relay clicks here or there. I mostly mapped them out, in preparation for the next phase which will be to build another relay and timer unit to make the intermittent function work again. After this, I put everything back together and went to move the car, but she just turned over and over and over and over.

The battery is good, but I had it on a charger for a few hours just in case. After some hours, I tried it again, but it just turns over and over but will not even kick or shudder.

I checked the fuel filter, a little dirty, but OK, but I changed it anyway and re-primed. The fuel can be seen flowing through the line from the filter to the pump.

I'm a bit baffled as to where to start. My initial thoughts of the possibilities are:

1. Weird electrical fault that was caused by my investigation of the rain sensor. I have checked all fuses and can find nothing wrong. Is it possible to have blown up something in the ECU? (I hope not)
    2. Dead/blocked injector pump. I don't think so as a fault like this would not hit so suddenly, I would think.
    3. Bad glowplugs. I guess this is what I was hoping for as it is probably the easiest one to fix. Still, glowplugs would not suddenly go on a hot afternoon. Surely after many attempts ( I also tried making them glow 3 or 4 times before starting), I should still at least get a cough or a splutter?

I'm leaning more towards some stubborn hidden electrical fault that is preventing the injectors from opening (or something of the sort), but of course I am very inexperienced with diesel engines and particularly with Peugeot, so I'm sure that you folks in here will have loads of useful ideas for me.
    I'm about to start with the glowplugs, but if anyone has any bright ideas or useful pointers, I'd appreciate them.

Cheers,
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: My Peugeot 306 suddenly won't start.

Gday robert i think your on the right track just make sure there is voltage at the glowplugs it seem strange that all would pack it in at once
    they have a strap that runs between them all if there is no voltage its an easy fix you can also check the glowplugs individually with a multimeter set on OHMS and look for resistence if open glowplug is gone im probably telling you stuff you already know but first start with the basics and move on from there.
    thanks caveman
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks caveman, but I've just fixed it!

After swearing in the dark with a torch and getting annoyed with my wife for thinking that it was just the battery, I eventually traced the problem back to an electrical fault in the anti-theft system that was preventing the fuel pump from releasing its fuel to the engine. I'm so relieved, but I will be checking out the glowplugs soon anyway.

The full explanation is found in this thread here. I'm sure if I'd've taken it to a mechanic, they would have drained the system, pulled and rebuilt the pump, fixed the electrical fault (after days of labour) then told me it was caused by biodiesel.

I am so glad I do not have to go there.

Cheers
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

Gday robert
        Glad to hear you sorted the problem.
        thanks caveman
        sigpic

Comment

My Peugeot 306 suddenly won't start due to ANTI THEFT FAULTY.

Hi

I have a problem with my peugeot 306 hdi xliner .When i try to start it bring a faulty message(anti theft faulty) please help as as i dont have an alternate car & i have to travel to work (140 km return) now i am using a cab as peugeot is fully booked for service.please help

Comment

Re: My Peugeot 306 suddenly won't start due to ANTI THEFT FAULTY.

Hi

I have a problem with my peugeot 306 hdi xliner .When i try to start it bring a faulty message(anti theft faulty) please help as as i dont have an alternate car & i have to travel to work (140 km return) now i am using a cab as peugeot is fully booked for service.please help [/quote]

Comment

Working...
            X