Triton, Pajero, Delica on WVO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triton, Pajero, Delica on WVO?

Does anyone have any first hand experience of running the Mitsubishi 2.8L turbo diesel engine on straight veg oil?

I have just bought a '97 Triton dual cab ute with the intention of fitting a twin tank WVO conversion, but then I heard that the rotary IP's were not suitable but I don't know why. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Cheers

Wayne

Re: Triton, Pajero, Delica on WVO?

No, inline pumps are great, roatary are accpetable (they work fine) lucas and CAV pumps are no good. (unless heavily internally modified, they dont lubricate themelves, as rotary pumps rely on fuel for lubrication, unlike inline pumps.)
    other pumps have enough clearance to let oil throught their internals.
    Make sure the oil is hot and clean.
    Captain Echidna
    Last edited by Captain Echidna; 15 March 2007, 08:21 PM. Reason: punctuation
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Capt'n,
      I would add to your last sentence
      Make sure the oil is hot and clean BEFORE change-over to veggie.
      Regards,
      Tony
      Tony From West Oz
      Vice Chairperson of WARFA
      Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 15 March 2007, 11:42 PM. Reason: corrected html coding :(
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by geewizztoo View Post
        Does anyone have any first hand experience of running the Mitsubishi 2.8L turbo diesel engine on straight veg oil?

I have just bought a '97 Triton dual cab ute with the intention of fitting a twin tank WVO conversion, but then I heard that the rotary IP's were not suitable but I don't know why. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Cheers

Wayne

Yes i have had a delica 2.8td using a vow2d+ fuel heater aswell as a plate heat exchanger i was running 20% dino to 80% veg and had no problems what so ever using a single tank set-up.

Comment

Hi Wayne, Yesterday I got to have a look at a rotary injection pump that had collapsed with using SVO and now I understand how it happens. They are lubricated by the fuel as others have said, but the hole to allow lubricant onto the shaft is very small and only catches a drop of fuel each time it rotates so if your fuel is to thick, it won't get through onto the shaft, they dry up and seize. So as explained, it all boils down to viscosity. I've just changed my blend as I noticed our mornings are much colder and the oil is a bit thicker so I'm now using 25% bio, 12% ULP and the rest filtered SVO.

I'm hoping my pump will handle this as I don't want to use any more ULP than I have to. My 300klm trip yesterday went well and I carried 300lt of oil to see how she would pull that load when travelling, it did it with ease. So now I have to get the right size tank to fit and I think I will dump the idea of inflatable tanks as the one I used flopped around a lot in the back. I've even thought of seeing if the pump people can bore out the lubricant hole to allow thicker fuel to flow into it. But I'll wait and if the pump does stop, then I will see if it can be done then.

Comment

Originally posted by Alga View Post
            Hi Wayne, Yesterday I got to have a look at a rotary injection pump that had collapsed with using SVO
            What brand of pump was it? a lucas or CAV, which I believe to be modifiable as you have outlined (allowing more oil through by machining out the hole)
            cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Echidna View Post
              What brand of pump was it? a lucas or CAV, which I believe to be modifiable as you have outlined (allowing more oil through by machining out the hole)
              It was a CAV. I was also told the one in my triton, is a nippon something and shouldn't have the same problems, but I will wait and see before deciding what else I have to do, to get it to run really well on almost any oil. Once I figure out my etxra tank, I will put in a FPHE for the blends and have bio 100 in the small tank. Terrible having to wait for something to break before you can decide what your next step is, in developing these alternatives. Without a forum like this, I wouldn't be where I am with SVO and BIO. I've been settling some oil for the last two weeks, and it all came out like cream, instead of normally creamy then clear oil. So for some reason my settling tank didn't work this time, bummer.

Comment

Alga,
                Do you have a fuel heater?
                This would be a reasonable precaution to provide some protection for your CAV IP, soon after starting. Hot Veggie has a viscosity close to that of diesel.
                In less than 1 minute after starting, a properly designed heat exchanger in the heater circuit can provide significant heat to the fuel.
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Tony, my IP isn't a CAV, but a “nippon something” the one that had seized was a CAV from a fergie tractor on SVO. I have the FPHE I got from you and am going to fit that, but I have been waiting until I get another tank for the back. As the weather has turned cold, I will put it in now to help with the lubrication. I just have to make up a bracket for it an find somewhere to fit it easily, the engine bay is rather full.

Comment

Working...
                  X