2007 VW Passat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 VW Passat

Hi all. Just some musings from a new car owner.

Just thought I would mention I bought a new VW TDI Passat and have been running it on B100 sourced from SAFF in Boronia. I have put over 2600 kms since new. I had to fill with dino on a recent trip and the once smooth motor started to sound clankey on idle.

There is no change in KMS travelled per tank of Bio or Dino and no change on power characteristics, or at least I could pick up on.

I am a little concerned that VW offer NO actual reason for their NO BIO sticker on the fuel flap, although they were very quick to suggest any/all warrantees will be voided with the use of BIO, although saying that, warrantees are also voided when suspect dino fuel is used.

I think I am reasonably well informed with the Bio issue and am taking an educated risk with using SAFF bio, although I am a little concerened about cold temperature gel point over Melbournes winter/spring.

Re: 2007 VW Passat

Well done Jimbo. Glad that you have educated yourself to be informed enough to make the right choices.
    Re the colder weather - I'm guessing that VW may use fuel heaters, being a European car. I know that my Land Rover has a little unit under the rear off-side wheel arch that heats the fuel and re-circulates it back to the tank, which will certainly help any gelling issues, be they with dino or bio. Maybe your VW has a similar setup? If not, I guess you could be reasonably sure that SAFF will be blending their fuel to meet the temperatures that they are selling it in seasonally.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

VW service centres are not very helpfull with identifying the fuel filter and where the water drain is located...apparently the water trap does not exist????

So does anyone got any ideas where to look for fuel heaters, fuel water drain etc with the new VW Passat range?

regards

Comment

We went looking at diesel cars to run bio-diesel and they all said we couldn't use it!! I'm very disapointed, we have B20 at the service station but VW, Mazda have all said no to B20. Just waiting for Citroen, Audi and Puegeot to answer. We'll buy the first one who says yes!

Daniel.

Comment

Puegeot will say no more the 30% bio, got the spec here somewhere and it is also on their website
          Telegraph Point NSW
          Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
          Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

They all said 5%.. every single manufacturer.. loosers, as if 5% is going to make an impact on the planet.

Daniel.

Comment

Daniel,

Welcome to the Forum, it is always nice to see a fellow sandgroper here.

Unfortunately, Australia doesn't produce enough biodiesel to even provide a 5% biodiesel blend for all diesel used.
              Gull's B20 is a major wake up call for the fuel industry, yet car manufacturers are way behind the times.
              The RAC WA published an article saying that B20 will void your car warranty. That is not true!. The car warranty will apply on all parts of the car, unless the failure of a part can be DIRECTLY attributed to the use of biodiesel. It must be demonstrated that the failure was due to the fuel used, and not due to manufacturing defects.

New car warranty does not cover repairs if a bad batch of diesel caused your IP to fail. The fuel supplier would need to be sued to pay for the repairs to the fuel system.

Regards,
              Tony
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Geoffwin View Post
                Puegeot will say no more the 30% bio, got the spec here somewhere and it is also on their website
                I think the local website says B5. However the service booklet that I got with my 307 a fortnight ago said B30, so I'm going with that.

Now for the problem of actually getting biodiesel, in any concentration...

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy View Post
                  Now for the problem of actually getting biodiesel, in any concentration...
                  I think Morris may be able to help you out soon. He's been trying to re-open his Biodiesel Station for quite some time, but it looks like he's finally getting closer.

He used to sell B20, B50 and B100. I'm not sure how he's going to arrange it this time, but I'm sure there'll be something that suits.
                  Robert.
                  Site Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    I think Morris may be able to help you out soon. He's been trying to re-open his Biodiesel Station for quite some time, but it looks like he's finally getting closer.
                    That's fantastic news. Alas, living in a flat, I'm not really in the position to make my own (not that I wouldn't love to - but my new pug occupies pretty-much my whole garage, leaving precious little room for anything else) so a readily available commercial source is wonderful.

I suspect I'll be a frequent customer.

Comment

Working...
                    X