Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filter after 5000km

Hi All

I have just changed the primary fuel filter in my 99' Rodeo after 5000km. Prior to this I have changed the secondary (the inline filter I installed prior to running BD) twice in this time. I changed the primary filter today as the car was 'pulling' and not revving above 3000 rpm on hills in third. Normally this is no problem for the Rodeo.

I have cut the primary fuel filter in half to find a waxy scum lining the filter case and although it can't be seen, I assume the same scum is lining the filter paper and causing the clogging problem. I am using B50 made from tallow. Ambient temperature today was 19C so gelling should not be a problem. I am reasonably confident that my fuel is good quality as it is washed 4 times and dried to clarity prior to use.

I have inserted a photo of the inside of the filter.

I have never cut a diesel filter in half prior to this so I don't know what the inside looks like when using straight petro diesel.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Sirus

Re: Fuel filter after 5000km

Sirus,
    Heat up the filter and see if it melts.
    If it melts at 20°C or less, it is likely to be methyl stearate, a high melting point component of your biodiesel. You may need to provide some heat to your fuel before the filters in cold weather.
    If it melts at 50°C or less, it is unreacted oil - tallow. You should improve your biodiesel processes to maximise the conversion rate. You couls also add heat to the fuel before the heaters, but significantly moreheat is needed in this case.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Is this kind of thing normal when running biodiesel? My wife will get very nervous if things start to stop working on a new car....

Daniel.

Comment

Thanks Tony

I assume it isn't methyl stearate as ambient temp when I cut it open was close to 20C. I will try heating the filter casing today and confirm at what temp it melts.

I am using KOH at (7g/purity + titration). If this is not giving full conversion what could I be doing wrong? My titrations are consistent and I make a 1L test sample prior to mxing a full 180L batch, on all batches. My processing is carried out at 45C and stirred for 1 hour following methoxide and oil mixing.

Interestingly I have run the same fuel in the Peugeot 405 for the same number of kilometers without any primary or secondary filter clogging. The Pug seems to run better on B100 than the rodeo.

Snaggs, it's a matter of learning. Without risk there is no reward. Always try to work out what is going on and monitor everything you do. I keep a log of every batch, which I have refered back to when things haven't quite gone as planned. Stick with it. It is possible to make fuel at home that exceeds EU standards or so I am told. I will be sending some of my fuel away for testing shortly. Might be worth getting your fuel tested if you have concerns.

Sirus

Comment

Sirus
          I cut the filter on my wifes car after the first 2000ks on b100 and it was clean, however the car only had 55 000k's on it.

Could this be crap that has been slowly lifting from the tank? I have recently started using bio in an 1992 80 cruiser with 250 000 ks and am wondering how the filter is going. I have not changed the filter yet but I have a spare in the back for when I need it. (im a tight ass) I too run very clean/clear fuel and I have been thinking that if I add a little methanol to the tank every fill if this will help to clean it. Any one got any ideas on that?

Also, your running b50. What is the other 50% like when you get it?

Cheers, chris
          96 Mitsubishi Delica Jasper SOLD [piece of junk]
          93 1HDT Landcruiser SOLD [still going strong]
          90 1HDT Landcruiser Current
          Combined total of 380,000kms on Bio Diesel with no problems related to bio.

Comment

Chris

Thanks for the info on your filter. I checked the primary filter in our Pug yesterday and confirmed that it was almost as clean as new after 5000km on various mixtures of BD but mainly B100. The secondary (in line) filter that I fitted was in need of a change and this is the third time I've changed this filter in 5000km. The Pug had done 265,000km on Dino Diesel prior to this, so I expected to have to change this filter frequently at the start.

This makes me suspect that at least some of the scum on the Rodeo's filter is from prior to my owning it, but the white tallow look of the scum makes me suspicious. Now that winter is on the way I am changing to pure cottonseed BD and will check the filter again in spring.

I have no idea what the quality of the Dino Diesel I am blending with is like. Looks partly cloudy and froths when shaken. This makes me wonder if this might be the source of the scum if there is soap present in the Dino Diesel also.

Any thoughts?

Sirus

Comment

Originally posted by Sirus View Post
              Chris

Thanks for the info on your filter. I checked the primary filter in our Pug yesterday and confirmed that it was almost as clean as new after 5000km on various mixtures of BD but mainly B100. The secondary (in line) filter that I fitted was in need of a change and this is the third time I've changed this filter in 5000km. The Pug had done 265,000km on Dino Diesel prior to this, so I expected to have to change this filter frequently at the start.

This makes me suspect that at least some of the scum on the Rodeo's filter is from prior to my owning it, but the white tallow look of the scum makes me suspicious. Now that winter is on the way I am changing to pure cottonseed BD and will check the filter again in spring.

I have no idea what the quality of the Dino Diesel I am blending with is like. Looks partly cloudy and froths when shaken. This makes me wonder if this might be the source of the scum if there is soap present in the Dino Diesel also.

Any thoughts?
              Sirus
              Where do you buy your Dino Diesel? Hope it is not the 'el cheapo' with coupons, because that is cr.. imported from Singapore.
              Buy BP or Mobile and you'll have no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc1 View Post
                Where do you buy your Dino Diesel? Hope it is not the 'el cheapo' with coupons, because that is cr.. imported from Singapore.
                My worst fuel experience has been from dinodiesel and not biodiesel. I will not under any circumstances buy dinodiesel from a 'no brand' discount outlet.

Comment

Good choice.
                  Yet if you buy Biodiesel blend, how do you know what Petrodiesel is used in the blend?
                  You will need to find good Bio100 and do the mix yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc1 View Post
                    With respect no diesel is brought into Australia these days as the standard is not up to the USLD level hence it cannot be sold. Even the heavy trucks and machinery are being weened off the higher sulphur fuels too, all fuel sold in Australia is made here afaik!

Matt
                    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      With respect no diesel is brought into Australia these days as the standard is not up to the USLD level hence it cannot be sold. Even the heavy trucks and machinery are being weened off the higher sulphur fuels too, all fuel sold in Australia is made here afaik!

Matt
                      Are you sure? So how come petrol is imported by Caltex Singapore even when the additives are not approved by Australian standards? That's the stuff sold by Woolies.

Comment

Fairly sure and I refer to diesel only, sorry for that confusion.

We now have Euro 4 diesel for most of us and this is not made overseas apart from Europe as its too expensive and not necessary in those other parts.

Matt
                        Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Working...
                        X