B100 & fuel hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B100 & fuel hoses

Can anyone tell me what fuel hose that will take B100 is called. The 3/8' ID hoses on the generator to & from the fuel pump have become tacky after 18 months of B100 & all places I have contacted have never heard of Biodiesel.
    I can get teflon hose for $40 per meter but there is no guarantee that this will be any better. Viton fuel hose? What's that ..they say. The hose that came with the Alemite pump is still OK but they only sell 25mm hose

Re: B100 & fuel hoses

Judging from info elsewhere on this site, you're after 1/2 inch Spray Hose from Pirtek (made byGoodyear).

But I have some further questions. My 1990 80 series 1HZ had the fuel pump rebuilt with Viton seals about 3 months ago. Yesterday it started losing power again, and it was making a horrible rattling sound at the same time. There is fuel on the bottom of the fuel pump. I'm getting it serviced tomorrow anyway, and I'll probably get the fuel lines replaced at the same time (although I still don't know what the problem is), but

1. What's this about an extra fuel pump? Why is it necessary, and where do I put it?

2. What is this CAV filter that I've heard some people talk about?
    1990 HZJ80

Comment

Marki, the rattling sound you refer to is most likely the injection pump being restricted (access to fuel). This is more than liley your fuel filter and if you are still running the factory one then CHANGE IT for a cav unit. Costs are about $120 for the base then filters can be had for approx $4~5 each, a lot cheaper and readily changeable, which will become increasingly necessary before it gets better.

Touch base with the local diesel service and ask about either an adapter or a new fuel filter mount for the CAV filter. Its really a Delphi 296 cartridge but that is by the by.

The extra lift pump referred to is a low pressure fuel pump as diesels do NOT like high inlet pressures to the injection pump as it can change timing.
      A Walbro 6065 or the newer FRB-5 is what your after, contact me offline and I can help you out, been there done that. Other than that look in the Landcruiser 160kms per day thread elsewhere in the forum.

Matt
      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Originally posted by marki View Post
        Judging from info elsewhere on this site, you're after 1/2 inch Spray Hose from Pirtek (made byGoodyear).

But I have some further questions. My 1990 80 series 1HZ had the fuel pump rebuilt with Viton seals about 3 months ago. Yesterday it started losing power again, and it was making a horrible rattling sound at the same time. There is fuel on the bottom of the fuel pump. I'm getting it serviced tomorrow anyway, and I'll probably get the fuel lines replaced at the same time (although I still don't know what the problem is), but

1. What's this about an extra fuel pump? Why is it necessary, and where do I put it?

2. What is this CAV filter that I've heard some people talk about?
        I am sure the sound is the same as my car expirenced, a grinding type noise, which is caused by air leaking into the system. there was a discussion http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use...me_issues.html with axel who had the cover come off and myself who just had the seals let go, but I think for the same reasons.
        I had 2 cav pumps in parallel on my 1HD-T running SVO. I would NOT replace the standard with a CAV, the two times mine leaked air in (which was it twice in about 150ks from instaling them) they would cause a seal on the injector pump to destroy itself (I think the air and high pressure caused the seal to rotate, eroding itself) causing the injector pump to leak fuel from under it. And it was the only external seal that had to have the injector pump removed to replace. I have since replaced the CAV's with a toyota filter and its fine.

An industrial place supplied me with fuel hose to suit methanol, ethanol etc. At $25 a meter.
        Captain Echidna
        Last edited by Captain Echidna; 3 April 2007, 11:31 AM. Reason: rewording
        cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Re: B100 &amp; fuel hoses

I use Gates Premo Flex, its available in everything from 1/4" through to 2" 3/8 is about $7 a mt
          Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

And just watch the Gates hose go soft, weep and then disintegrate into a balck gooey mess!

Used it once and not again hence my move to the Goodyear nylon hose. If only I knew what Toyota used I would get some of that, the original hoses in the engin bay are fine 4 years on (seen out the Gates hose well and truely) B100.

Matt
            Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

I have found the same thing with Toyota hose. It's very good. Over the last 18 months I have been conducting experiments (buggerising around) with the ordinary clear hose you buy off the role at any hardware store. Filling 300mm lengths of it with different blends of biodiesel + fossil diesel & hanging them up in the workshop & when I remember, having a look at them. I have found that the B100 weeps through the hose (after 3 to 5 days) to the extent of loosing half it's volume over a 2 month period & loosing it's golden colour & fading to clear...Wheras fossil diesel & all blends, B20/50/70 don't bleed at all through this hose. The fossil diesel turned brown over a 3 month period. All this has been done a couple of times, each time with the same results.

Comment

The Gates Premo is not standard grade Gates fuel hose. Its red so it will not collapse into a gooey black mess (also means it goes faster).
                Rgds

Adam

Comment

Yes it is red and it WILL go into a black gooey mess, be warned! I have used it, not again.

Another edit sorry, I have some if you want to buy it from me, from memory it about $12 per metre, you can have it all for 50 cents as its no use to me at all!

Matt
                  Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, how long do I have to wait before I find a puddle of black goo?
                    Looks like next time it'll be time to hang the expense and go with Aeroquip!
                    zigparacingtadpole
                    Last edited by zigparacingtadpole; 14 April 2007, 01:43 PM.
                    Rgds

Adam

Comment

You will be fine for at least 6 months, after that start checking it as it will start to weep and then I would seriously look at replacing it.

As I have posted several times you cannot go past the Pirtek Goodyear nylon spray hose, which suites my Landcruiser beautifully. Chck out whats available in the size you need, shop around but I sincerely doubt you will find any fuel hose in Australia capable of handling biodiesel, you will have to use something more exotic.

Matt
                      Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

The guys that supplied me with my Viton kits (thanks Matt) recomment stuff called Ortac from Graham Rubber Rubber Hoses - Graham Rubber
                        1990 HZJ80

Comment

Originally posted by marki View Post
                          The guys that supplied me with my Viton kits (thanks Matt) recomment stuff called Ortac from Graham Rubber Rubber Hoses - Graham Rubber
                          Ortac isn't cheap and I note that it doesn't specifically mention biodiesel.
                          George

Comment

If by chance you could find a wrecked diesel Peugeot from about '95 - '96 onward the hoses on these fine European cars are ideal! They're a kind of fluoroelastomer hose, so it makes them ideal for biodiesel use. The hoses on my '96 Peugeot are still as sound as ever and have shown no weeping whatsoever.
                            Emporator
                            Last edited by Emporator; 17 April 2007, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gwalker View Post
                              Ortac isn't cheap and I note that it doesn't specifically mention biodiesel.
                              George
                              I don't think you'll find anyone that specifically mentions biodiesel - if it mentions chemicals in a similar class than that's good enough.

Anyway, it's academic, as the mob that I linked to don't sell it anymore - they've switched to stuff called Powaflex - which they'll happily supply for $5/metre, but only if I buy a 20 m length
                              1990 HZJ80

Comment

Working...
                              X